Default Slicking Up the TS Table (and a bit of gloat)

Last week I noticed in this group that "TAP" had some tools for sale
in the Dallas area. Gave him a call, took a look, and grabbed a Jet
JTAS-10XL that he had just gotten out of storage. Outfeed rollers,
mobile base, extension table, router lift, unused Bosch router. Total
of about 400 feet of plywood cut through the saw - lucked out! Grabbed
a Jet drill press and a Grizzly 2HP dust collector he had laying
around too. Picked it all up this Saturday AM (2 buds helped - for
beer).

TS was clean, neat, looked new, BUT - TAP had wiped the table down
with what he described as "white lithium grease" before he put it in
storage. Probably not a bad idea, tho I might have used a better rust
preventative. Did a minor clean up Saturday PM, set it all up (no
probs, only sheered one Chinwanese bolt) and ran a couple of trial
cuts to build a dolly for the drill press - what a pleasure! 3/4
plywood wasn't even there as far as the saw was concerned.

Tonight I decided a proper table clean was in order. So here's the
process I used (neophyte that I am), and the results.

Step 1.
Paper towels and paint thinner. Keep cleaning until towel shows no
signs of gunk (2 passes). I would have used naptha but the water
heaters are in the garage areas and naptha is a "bit" volatile to use
close to pilot lights. ~5 minutes

Step 2
Old fashioned white polishing compound from the auto supply store
(~$3.00). Rub on, rub off. Lots of surface oxidation on wiping
clothes (old T shirts), so do it again. ~10 minutes

Step 3
Wipe down with paint thinner and paper towels to remove loose
oxidation and rubbing compound residue. ~2 minutes

Step 4
Johnsons paste wax. Rub on, buff out. Do it again. ~10 minutes

Is that table slick? Being a guy who wonders if time is well spent, I
ran a test as I went.

Test Conditions
6" rule held vertically at edge of table. 10" steel rule from top of
6" rule, slanting to table. Actually it's a 12" rule, but I put the
10" mark on top of the vertical 6" rule (30 degree slope if I remember
the 3,4,5 triangle correctly). Sled was a 4" long hunk of maple 1X2,
square at the leading end, unsanded on the bottom (not prepped in any
way).

The Test
Hold sled at 10" mark on steel rule, let it slide down the slope and
measure how far it moves across the table.

Results
Untouched table (table had minor amounts of greasy residue) - max
distance on table in 5 trys = 2" of leading edge of sled. The other 2"
stayed on the slope.

Degreased table, 5 trys max 3". 1" of sled still on slope.

Polished table, 5 trys max 5", 1" from end of slope to trailing edge
of sled.

Waxed table, 5 trys max 8", 4" from end of slope to trailing edge of
sled.

You can make a TS table slicker!

Regards.

Tom

Paul Kierstead

Patriarch wrote:

You made a table saw Stimpmeter?

I would appear that he did. Now of all the dumb-assed measurement
i-cant-stop-being-an-engineer things people get their panties in bunch
over in here, this one appeals to me for the pure perversity of it. I
want one. I don't want to see no "passed the nickel test", I want to see
"8 inches on the TS-Slick-Meter".

PK
woodworker88

Nice work. Wish I could move things that slick. 3 guys and I moved a
single 2400 lb milling machine from shipping crate into tool room 20 ft
away. Took us 3 days.

Upscale

"woodworker88" wrote in message
Nice work. Wish I could move things that slick. 3 guys and I moved a
single 2400 lb milling machine from shipping crate into tool room 20 ft
away. Took us 3 days.

Sounds like you wouldn't have made a very good Egyptian pyramid builder, at
least not when it came to moving stone blocks.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:33:47 -0400, Paul Kierstead
I would appear that he did. Now of all the dumb-assed measurement
i-cant-stop-being-an-engineer things people get their panties in bunch
over in here, this one appeals to me for the pure perversity of it. I
want one. I don't want to see no "passed the nickel test", I want to see
"8 inches on the TS-Slick-Meter".

PK

Paul:

Can I trademark the "TS-Slick-Meter" phrase? Is there a business
opportunity here? There are others out there as perverse as you and I,
with money to spend.....

Anyway, I appreciate the comment above - it was almost a joke on
myself to do it.

Regards.

Tom

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:33:47 -0400, Paul Kierstead
I would appear that he did. Now of all the dumb-assed measurement
i-cant-stop-being-an-engineer things people get their panties in bunch
over in here, this one appeals to me for the pure perversity of it. I
want one. I don't want to see no "passed the nickel test", I want to see
"8 inches on the TS-Slick-Meter".

PK

Paul:

Can I trademark the "TS-Slick-Meter" phrase? Is there a business
opportunity here? There are others out there as perverse as you and I,
with money to spend.....

Just imagine if you'd been testing how smooth a polish/finish you could
get on the hood of a WWII-era Jeep.

One could call _that_ test-instrument as "Willys Slick-o-Meter"

Vic Baron

"woodworker88" wrote in message
oups.com...
Nice work. Wish I could move things that slick. 3 guys and I moved a
single 2400 lb milling machine from shipping crate into tool room 20 ft
away. Took us 3 days.

All three were supervisors?