Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BG Standby Saver

Got round to installing the freebie Standby Saver today.

What a pile of poo.

Eventually got it to recognise the remote, but it doesn't work.

1) Telewest box has to reset itself when its used, takes up to a minute - I
could plug that into one of the override sockets.

2) Surround sound loses all its settings & has to be reset with the remote -
I could plug that into the other override sockets.

3) TV comes on in standby mode - I could plug that into..... no I couldn't,
there are only two. If you press the remote the TV comes on, then
everything goes off.

4) Remote only triggers the standby sensor from a range of 2'. Works fine
on the telly.

5) It does turn the DVD player on and off.

Typical treehugger product. Supposed to save the planet but doesn't work in
practise.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 13 Sep, 16:37, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Got round to installing the freebie Standby Saver today.
What a pile of poo.

I was expecting something that worked on sensing the load on the
'primary' socket and turned on/off the secondary sockets accordingly.
I don't use the remote to turn the telly on/off anyway, and I don't
want the STB resetting every half hour.

It will do as a raffle prize for the Xmas Fayre though.

The energy monitor thing is quite cute though, I'm trying to find
what's using that 100W of standby power ...

Owain

the freebie Standby Saver :-)

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Sep, 17:03, Owain wrote:

The energy monitor thing is quite cute though, I'm trying to find
what's using that 100W of standby power ...

Owain

Mine shows 0.00kW if the fridge-freezer and/or chest freezer aren't
doing their stuff. Two or three alarm clock radios are about the only
things that get left on here if I'm going out for a while (I put the
monitor near the door). I suppose the outside PIR must use something
miniscule too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
On 13 Sep, 16:37, "The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Got round to installing the freebie Standby Saver today.
What a pile of poo.

I was expecting something that worked on sensing the load on the
'primary' socket and turned on/off the secondary sockets accordingly.

As I said in another thread, I bought one recently, and it
consumes about 1.4W. Since all modern devices (except set
top boxes) consume only tiny fractions of a watt on standby,
I would do much better to leave them on standby than use this.

I don't use the remote to turn the telly on/off anyway, and I don't
want the STB resetting every half hour.

It will do as a raffle prize for the Xmas Fayre though.

The energy monitor thing is quite cute though, I'm trying to find
what's using that 100W of standby power ...

Owain

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Got round to installing the freebie Standby Saver today.

What a pile of poo.

That is EXACTLY why the Dragons Den people didn't invest in the company
that made them. I tried one out and it is much easier to use the OFF switch
on
the sockets. They were asked on dragons Den, "if I wanted to save energy
why would I plug something in that used energy such as this product".

Eventually got it to recognise the remote, but it doesn't work.

You didn't read the instructions correctly, mine took 1 minute.

1) Telewest box has to reset itself when its used, takes up to a minute -
I could plug that into one of the override sockets.

You could, but this defeats the object of the power saver and shows it is
a complete waste of time. That is why BG give them away.

2) Surround sound loses all its settings & has to be reset with the
remote - I could plug that into the other override sockets.

You could, but you might want to get the surround sound system repaired.

3) TV comes on in standby mode - I could plug that into..... no I
couldn't, there are only two. If you press the remote the TV comes on,
then everything goes off.

Now mine doesn't do that! I had to press the remote to get the sockets
to switch on, then press again for the TV to come on.

4) Remote only triggers the standby sensor from a range of 2'. Works fine
on the telly.

You have a broken one as mine does it from 12ft away.

5) It does turn the DVD player on and off.

Typical treehugger product. Supposed to save the planet but doesn't work
in practise.

They are completely useless, don't do what they claim and there is no point
having one. No research has been done and there is NO market for the
product - no one would buy one.
Why buy a product claiming to save energy when it doesn't - it costs to run
it rather than switch everything OFF.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Got round to installing the freebie Standby Saver today.

What a pile of poo.

That is EXACTLY why the Dragons Den people didn't invest in the
company that made them. I tried one out and it is much easier to use
the OFF switch on
the sockets. They were asked on dragons Den, "if I wanted to save
energy why would I plug something in that used energy such as this
product".
Eventually got it to recognise the remote, but it doesn't work.

You didn't read the instructions correctly, mine took 1 minute.

I did. It took three attempts to get it to work.

1) Telewest box has to reset itself when its used, takes up to a
minute - I could plug that into one of the override sockets.

You could, but this defeats the object of the power saver and shows
it is a complete waste of time. That is why BG give them away.

Exactly.

2) Surround sound loses all its settings & has to be reset with the
remote - I could plug that into the other override sockets.

You could, but you might want to get the surround sound system
repaired.

Nothing wrong with it. It has various input possibilities. The standby
thingy meerly switched it on but was unable to tell it where to select its
input from.

3) TV comes on in standby mode - I could plug that into..... no I
couldn't, there are only two. If you press the remote the TV comes
on, then everything goes off.

Now mine doesn't do that! I had to press the remote to get the
sockets to switch on, then press again for the TV to come on.

Same with me, but the second press triggered the standby thingy & turned
everything off again. If you shielded the remote so it could only point at
the standby sensor it worked.

4) Remote only triggers the standby sensor from a range of 2'. Works fine
on the telly.

You have a broken one as mine does it from 12ft away.

So does mine with the normal telly.

5) It does turn the DVD player on and off.

Typical treehugger product. Supposed to save the planet but doesn't
work in practise.

They are completely useless, don't do what they claim and there is no
point having one. No research has been done and there is NO market
for the product - no one would buy one.

I certainly wouldn't.

Why buy a product claiming to save energy when it doesn't - it costs
to run it rather than switch everything OFF.

Indeed, it appears to consume more than it saves.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just got one today, I think it is brilliant. I take it your socket is
easily accessible, to get at mine I have to move a 28 in CRT TV.

I took less than a minute to get it working, it took longer to move the TV
out and back again so I could plug it in. So no longer a bright red LED
light on my DVD player annoying me when the TV is off.

Ron

Roger wrote:
[...]

AC Energy Saver mode Curly Sue Home Repair 20 July 1st 19 02:05 PM
how to put a new PVC fitting after using a socket saver [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 22nd 09 11:37 PM
ADC saver Tango2 Electronics 2 May 26th 06 12:53 PM
Kel Centre Saver Tom Storey Woodturning 13 February 4th 06 02:43 PM