Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger[_10_] Roger[_10_] is offline

Default BG Standby Saver

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Got round to installing the freebie Standby Saver today.

What a pile of poo.

That is EXACTLY why the Dragons Den people didn't invest in the company
that made them. I tried one out and it is much easier to use the OFF switch
on
the sockets. They were asked on dragons Den, "if I wanted to save energy
why would I plug something in that used energy such as this product".

Eventually got it to recognise the remote, but it doesn't work.

You didn't read the instructions correctly, mine took 1 minute.

1) Telewest box has to reset itself when its used, takes up to a minute -
I could plug that into one of the override sockets.

You could, but this defeats the object of the power saver and shows it is
a complete waste of time. That is why BG give them away.

2) Surround sound loses all its settings & has to be reset with the
remote - I could plug that into the other override sockets.

You could, but you might want to get the surround sound system repaired.

3) TV comes on in standby mode - I could plug that into..... no I
couldn't, there are only two. If you press the remote the TV comes on,
then everything goes off.

Now mine doesn't do that! I had to press the remote to get the sockets
to switch on, then press again for the TV to come on.

4) Remote only triggers the standby sensor from a range of 2'. Works fine
on the telly.

You have a broken one as mine does it from 12ft away.

5) It does turn the DVD player on and off.

Typical treehugger product. Supposed to save the planet but doesn't work
in practise.

They are completely useless, don't do what they claim and there is no point
having one. No research has been done and there is NO market for the
product - no one would buy one.
Why buy a product claiming to save energy when it doesn't - it costs to run
it rather than switch everything OFF.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk