Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BG Standby Saver

Roger wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Got round to installing the freebie Standby Saver today.

What a pile of poo.

That is EXACTLY why the Dragons Den people didn't invest in the
company that made them. I tried one out and it is much easier to use
the OFF switch on
the sockets. They were asked on dragons Den, "if I wanted to save
energy why would I plug something in that used energy such as this
product".
Eventually got it to recognise the remote, but it doesn't work.

You didn't read the instructions correctly, mine took 1 minute.

I did. It took three attempts to get it to work.

1) Telewest box has to reset itself when its used, takes up to a
minute - I could plug that into one of the override sockets.

You could, but this defeats the object of the power saver and shows
it is a complete waste of time. That is why BG give them away.

Exactly.

2) Surround sound loses all its settings & has to be reset with the
remote - I could plug that into the other override sockets.

You could, but you might want to get the surround sound system
repaired.

Nothing wrong with it. It has various input possibilities. The standby
thingy meerly switched it on but was unable to tell it where to select its
input from.

3) TV comes on in standby mode - I could plug that into..... no I
couldn't, there are only two. If you press the remote the TV comes
on, then everything goes off.

Now mine doesn't do that! I had to press the remote to get the
sockets to switch on, then press again for the TV to come on.

Same with me, but the second press triggered the standby thingy & turned
everything off again. If you shielded the remote so it could only point at
the standby sensor it worked.

4) Remote only triggers the standby sensor from a range of 2'. Works fine
on the telly.

You have a broken one as mine does it from 12ft away.

So does mine with the normal telly.

5) It does turn the DVD player on and off.

Typical treehugger product. Supposed to save the planet but doesn't
work in practise.

They are completely useless, don't do what they claim and there is no
point having one. No research has been done and there is NO market
for the product - no one would buy one.

I certainly wouldn't.

Why buy a product claiming to save energy when it doesn't - it costs
to run it rather than switch everything OFF.

Indeed, it appears to consume more than it saves.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk