Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Releasing DH unit from security tape?

Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal. I'm
going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done such a
thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the old glazed
unit from the grip of the security tape?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Davey wrote:
Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal. I'm
going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done such a
thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the old glazed
unit from the grip of the security tape?

Thanks.

DH? Darling Husband? Too many US-centric forums, I know. But made me
chuckle. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:57:01 +0100, Rod wrote:

Davey wrote:
Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal.
I'm going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done
such a thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the
old glazed unit from the grip of the security tape?

Thanks.

DH? Darling Husband? Too many US-centric forums, I know. But made me
chuckle. :-)

Same here. I wasn't the only one, then...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

Guide he

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=17631

Davey wrote:
Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal.
I'm going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done
such a thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the
old glazed unit from the grip of the security tape?

Thanks.

DH? Darling Husband? Too many US-centric forums, I know. But made me
chuckle. :-)

Same here. I wasn't the only one, then...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
*http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Davey wrote:
Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal.
I'm going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've
done such a thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to
releasing the old glazed unit from the grip of the security tape?

Thanks.

DH? Darling Husband? Too many US-centric forums, I know. But made me
chuckle. :-)

Damned my fat fingers.

DG! Double glazing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
writes
Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal. I'm
going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done such a
thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the old glazed
unit from the grip of the security tape?

It's double sided foam tape, cut the bond using a sharp but flexible
knife next to the glass.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From past experience (many years ago) Scraper or thin chisel, hammer,
dustsheets everywhere and protective clothing, eyeware ect.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:
In article , Davey
writes
Got an external uPVC double glazing unit which has a knackered seal. I'm
going to change it myself but it will be the first time I've done such a
thing. Can anyone offer any tips with regards to releasing the old glazed
unit from the grip of the security tape?

It's double sided foam tape, cut the bond using a sharp but flexible
knife next to the glass.

If you have two people, push a piece of thin strong wire through
(a cheese wire), and then with one person inside and one outside
holding each end, cut through the foam tape with the cheese wire.
Watch for the window falling out. The cheesewire will probably
knacker the double glazing unit seal, but yours is already, so that
doesn't matter. Don't use a rough cutting wire or you might shatter
a toughened glass pane and/or mark the uPVC.

When you lift the unit out, be very careful not to ding the corners
(particularly against masonary/concrete), as that easily shatters
toughened glass, particularly with large windows where you don't
get a second chance if you do.

You'll need to clean the remaining window tape off the uPVC frame.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
fred writes:
In article , Davey
writes
[...]

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

You'll need to clean the remaining window tape off the uPVC frame.

Sounds like a job for the SWMBO's nail varnish remover once I've scraped off
the excess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Davey" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
fred writes:
In article , Davey
writes
[...]

Make sure any solvent doesn't dissolve the uPVC, or you'll
likely end up damaging the visible polished surfaces.

--
Andrew Gabriel