King

Default Repair Tape backup unit

Hi,

Was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on repairing a tape
backup unit (Sony DDS3 - SCSI).
I have looked on the internet but not found anything.

The unit does not seem to allow read/write (get a scsi device error in Unix
when try to use it) - Note that this was a working device for two years and
only recently stopped working.

In actuallity I have two of these units and both are doing the exact same
thing (They are the same age. One was installed on an NT box, and the other
a SCO unix box)

I would really like to get these working.

Thanks

Roy J. Tellason

King wrote:

Hi,

Was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on repairing a tape
backup unit (Sony DDS3 - SCSI).
I have looked on the internet but not found anything.

The unit does not seem to allow read/write (get a scsi device error in Unix
when try to use it) - Note that this was a working device for two years and
only recently stopped working.

In actuallity I have two of these units and both are doing the exact same
thing (They are the same age. One was installed on an NT box, and the other
a SCO unix box)

I would really like to get these working.

Thanks

If both of these units started acting up at the same time, it strikes me as
being rather unlikely that they've both failed. Maybe you're looking at a
problem with the host adapter or cabling?

King

"Roy J. Tellason" rtellason@DONTSPAM MEblazenet.net wrote in message
King wrote:

[...]

I thought of that and very thing, so I got a replacement unit (exactly the
same model) and tested it in each of the servers. It works in both.

I am guessing that because they were in production for a couple of years in,
lets say a fairly rough environment, that the head (sorry about the lingo)
is very dirty, such that even a tape cleaner does not resolve the problem.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Tim Mitchell

In article , King
writes

King wrote:

[...]

You don't get scsi device error for dirty heads. You get CRC checksum
errors and things like that. SCSI device error sounds more like a
problem with the control system in the drive rather than the actual tape
system.
--
Tim Mitchell
King

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , King
writes

King wrote:

[...]

Tim,

Do you mean the circuit board on the actual tape drive units when you refer
to "control system in the drive "? If so, is there anything that I can try?

Thanks

Reading a tape measure...again Tom Gardner Metalworking 46 November 11th 03 04:19 PM
PC backups David UK diy 68 October 18th 03 08:35 AM
Dryer to Standard 220 Extension Cord Mark Jerde Woodworking 30 September 18th 03 04:06 AM
LaserDisc Repair? Steve Reinis Electronics Repair 4 September 17th 03 08:31 PM