Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mouse Trap releasing by itself

I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Balderdash" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Clever mice? Roaches?

Depending on the method of trip, thermal cycles which cause expansion and
contraction could cause tripping without the help of a critter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Balderdash" wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Depending on how you've baited it, mice can take bait without tripping the
trap, or take it and get away without getting caught when it trips.

The best thing I've ever found for baiting a mousetrap was a plump, fresh
raisin. Smush it down onto the bait pan good and hard, then set the trap. They
can't lick it off the way they do peanut butter, and there's no way they can
tug it off without snapping the trap.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Balderdash" wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Depending on how you've baited it, mice can take bait without tripping the
trap, or take it and get away without getting caught when it trips.

The best thing I've ever found for baiting a mousetrap was a plump, fresh
raisin. Smush it down onto the bait pan good and hard, then set the trap.
They
can't lick it off the way they do peanut butter, and there's no way they
can
tug it off without snapping the trap.

My experience is that mice don't care for raisins.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Balderdash wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

Our cat "Lard Ass" has gotten so fat he's had to use mousetraps himself
for the last couple of years:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/temp/mousetrap1.jpg

That IS a real mouse in that trap.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Balderdash wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

Our cat "Lard Ass" has gotten so fat he's had to use mousetraps himself
for the last couple of years:

Are you sure that is a cat? Looks like a hairy sumo wrestler!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thermal cycles ???? I think your putting too much into this. It's
just a basic mouse trap.

On Jan 31, 6:25 pm, "Charles Schuler"
wrote:
"Balderdash" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Clever mice? Roaches?

Depending on the method of trip, thermal cycles which cause expansion and
contraction could cause tripping without the help of a critter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Balderdash" wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Depending on how you've baited it, mice can take bait without tripping the
trap, or take it and get away without getting caught when it trips.

The best thing I've ever found for baiting a mousetrap was a plump, fresh
raisin. Smush it down onto the bait pan good and hard, then set the trap.
They
can't lick it off the way they do peanut butter, and there's no way they
can
tug it off without snapping the trap.

My experience is that mice don't care for raisins.

I've caught a few with them.

My best so far though is those "cheese pedal" traps you put near the
wall, with no bait.

Little *******s just run along the wall, and WHACK!

One woke me up thrashing about, and the little ******* got out. Don't
think that was because of the type of trap, though.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Jan 2007 15:09:30 -0800, "Balderdash"
wrote:

I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

This could be your problem.

http://i7.tinypic.com/2ex6kah.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 5:09 pm, "Balderdash" wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

Well,,"nuts" as I may be I gotta offer a possibility..A rat can
set off a mousetrap without getting caught..Try a rat trap..
Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean" wrote:
On Jan 31, 5:09 pm, "Balderdash" wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

Well,,"nuts" as I may be I gotta offer a possibility..A rat can
set off a mousetrap without getting caught..Try a rat trap..
Dean

Err.. try a glue trap with a small piece of cheese stuck in it.

Report back with the kill ratio. (not a rat recipe, btw)

--
http://NewsReader.Com/ 30GB/Month

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article . com,
"Balderdash" wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Depending on how you've baited it, mice can take bait without tripping the
trap, or take it and get away without getting caught when it trips.

The best thing I've ever found for baiting a mousetrap was a plump, fresh
raisin. Smush it down onto the bait pan good and hard, then set the trap.
They
can't lick it off the way they do peanut butter, and there's no way they
can
tug it off without snapping the trap.

My experience is that mice don't care for raisins.

It *always* works for me, and you are the *only* person I've ever heard claim
they don't work.

Like I told you the last time... you need to use fresh ones.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steveo" wrote

Err.. try a glue trap with a small piece of cheese stuck in it.

My SIL swears by Super Gluing one kernel of dry corn to the bar.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:51:49 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Balderdash wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

I had a little mouse in my 'office' a few days ago, wandering around.
I didn't have anything to hit it with, but I put a hiking boot by my
chair, even though I thought he wouldn't be back.

An hour later he was back, wandering around almost the middle of the
room. I whacked him with the shoe and he was stunned. I whacked him
a few more times and without going into detail, he was dead.

This is definitely the non-survival of the non-fit. Most mice
wouldn't put themselves in such risk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Balderdash wrote:
I have several mouse traps around the house. I've noticed that a few
of them have snapped and there is nothing in them. Both that snapped
have been there for about 1 month. Will mouse traps let go by
themselves after a lenghty period of time if they don't catch
anything.

Thanks.

You could try the kind of mousetraps I used in college about 50 years ago:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/trap.jpg

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Balderdash" wrote:
[...]

There are dozens of breeds of mice, I imagine, maybe the ones in his
area actually don't like raisins.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can ask 50 people what to bait a mouse trap with and you'll get 50
different answers and none of them work as good as a cat.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...

"Balderdash" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
You can ask 50 people what to bait a mouse trap with and you'll get 50
different answers and none of them work as good as a cat.

--
Steve Barker

And I've seen some cats that couldn't catch as many mice as a broken trap.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
THOSE cats are most likely being fed yuppified canned food. Quit
feeding them and they WILL catch mice. Garonteeeed.

Could be a defective cat. Take him to the vet for a tune-up.