Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to find the heat output of a radiator?

I want to replace the current small single rad in my bathroom with a
towel rail rad. Is there any way to calculate/estimate the heat output
of the existing rad from it's size?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ernie Bilko" wrote

I want to replace the current small single rad in my bathroom with a
towel rail rad. Is there any way to calculate/estimate the heat output
of the existing rad from it's size?

Thanks

Check out the various radiator manufacturers' websites - they have charts
showing heat output for the various sizes and configurations.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ernie Bilko wrote:

I want to replace the current small single rad in my bathroom with a
towel rail rad. Is there any way to calculate/estimate the heat output
of the existing rad from it's size?

Thanks

Yes, there are some rules of thumb for watts per square metre for different
types of construction - single panel without fins, single panel with fins,
etc.

The output is also dependent on Delta-T (the difference between the mean
radiator temperature and room temperature). When comparing your rad with a
towel rad, you need to make sure that you're comparing the outputs at the
*same* Delta-T.

What type is your existing rad, and how big is it? Do you have a particular
towel rad in mind? [Size for size, a towel rad will have a *much* lower
output than a conventional rad because the surface area is much lower - with
lots of fresh air between the bars!]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ernie Bilko writes:
I want to replace the current small single rad in my bathroom with a
towel rail rad. Is there any way to calculate/estimate the heat output
of the existing rad from it's size?

The output of a towel rail when it has towels on it is virtually nothing.
The output of a towel rail when it has nothing on it is nowhere near
that of a radiator the same size.

If by a towel rail rad, you mean a towel rail with radiator section
included, then just compare the radiator section size. If it really
is just a towel rail, then consider leaving the radiator too unless it
won't fit. Something else which is effective (and I've done a couple
of times) is to use a plain unheated towel rail/shelf positioned on
the wall above the radiator, although finding decent and functional
ones can be hard. Actually, I ended up using an Ikea kitchen shelf
made from rails, and only fitting alternate rails -- came out much
better than anything I could find which was intended for the job
(and much cheaper too).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 09:43:12 +0100, Ernie Bilko wrote:

I want to replace the current small single rad in my bathroom with a
towel rail rad. Is there any way to calculate/estimate the heat output
of the existing rad from it's size?

Yes, you'll find it in the article on radiators in the uk.d-i-y wiki at
wiki.diyfaq.org.uk

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all teh help. Much appreciated.

radiator output (comparing) Roger Mills UK diy 11 September 18th 08 05:51 PM
Radiator output F UK diy 9 September 17th 06 07:16 PM
Radiator Output Roger UK diy 6 February 8th 05 08:55 AM
Heat loss calculator for radiator requirements - where to find one? Dave UK diy 29 January 10th 05 05:02 PM
Radiator Heat Output fred UK diy 1 September 1st 03 04:15 PM