Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default How to find the heat output of a radiator?

Ernie Bilko wrote:

I want to replace the current small single rad in my bathroom with a
towel rail rad. Is there any way to calculate/estimate the heat output
of the existing rad from it's size?

Thanks

Yes, there are some rules of thumb for watts per square metre for different
types of construction - single panel without fins, single panel with fins,
etc.

The output is also dependent on Delta-T (the difference between the mean
radiator temperature and room temperature). When comparing your rad with a
towel rad, you need to make sure that you're comparing the outputs at the
*same* Delta-T.

What type is your existing rad, and how big is it? Do you have a particular
towel rad in mind? [Size for size, a towel rad will have a *much* lower
output than a conventional rad because the surface area is much lower - with
lots of fresh air between the bars!]
--
Cheers,
Roger