Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to find the heat output of a radiator?

In article ,
Ernie Bilko writes:
I want to replace the current small single rad in my bathroom with a
towel rail rad. Is there any way to calculate/estimate the heat output
of the existing rad from it's size?

The output of a towel rail when it has towels on it is virtually nothing.
The output of a towel rail when it has nothing on it is nowhere near
that of a radiator the same size.

If by a towel rail rad, you mean a towel rail with radiator section
included, then just compare the radiator section size. If it really
is just a towel rail, then consider leaving the radiator too unless it
won't fit. Something else which is effective (and I've done a couple
of times) is to use a plain unheated towel rail/shelf positioned on
the wall above the radiator, although finding decent and functional
ones can be hard. Actually, I ended up using an Ikea kitchen shelf
made from rails, and only fitting alternate rails -- came out much
better than anything I could find which was intended for the job
(and much cheaper too).

--
Andrew Gabriel