Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

To return to lava lamps: Are all such lamps effectively living on
borrowed time after Tuesday, so that when no more bulbs can be bought
for them, they become useless? I like my lamp; it provides just the
right level of glow at night in an otherwise dark room, save for the
TV and computer or whatever.

I also have a small clip-on lamp on a goose-neck that takes a small,
wire-ended incandescent bulb rated about 25W. Are those to become
unavailable too?

If any of this is true, where exactly do the boundaries of what will
and will not be legal lie?

Martin
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

Jeff

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Sam Sam is offline

"Jeff" wrote in message ...

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes on Ebay
I should imagine.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Sam" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message ...

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes on
Ebay I should imagine.

Not legally, it will be illegal to import such items.

Jeff

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:11:16 +0100, Sam wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message ...

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes on
Ebay I should imagine.

I expect they'll appoint a bulb czar and a 2,000 strong bulb squad who
will use terrorist legislation to infiltrate bulb smugglers. Isn't Jim
Gamble after a new job?

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Jeff wrote:
"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

Jeff

Ah! Finally found something, and it seems to agree with what you said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-o...European_Union

"The initial Europe wide ban only applies to 'non-directional' light
bulbs, so does not affect any bulbs with reflective surfaces (eg.
spotlights or halogen down lighters). Bulbs will be banned in a phased
approach. The first types of bulbs to be banned are non-clear (frosted)
bulbs, these will be phased out completely by September 2009. Also from
September 2009 clear bulbs over 100W must be made of more efficient
types. This limit will be moved down to lower wattages, and the
efficiency levels raised by the end of 2012."

I wouldn't want to have to reply on receiving bulbs by post, packed and
sent by some dodgy eBay geezer.

Thanks.

Martin
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

I can't wait (I'm joking) for some parliamentary dimbulb to decree
that lava lamps must be fitted with energy-saving bulbs. Duhhhhh...!
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Fleetie wrote:

I wouldn't want to have to reply on receiving bulbs by post, packed and
sent by some dodgy eBay geezer.

Thanks.

Martin

Well, I bought 100 60W pearl bulbs of a reputable brand from an eBay
seller a few months ago, and they arrived intact and well-packed. Come
to think of it, if the dealine is that close for frosted bulbs I need
to order some more, to make sure I have a lifetime's supply.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Sam Sam is offline

"Jeff" wrote in message ...

"Sam" wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message ...

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes on
Ebay I should imagine.

Not legally, it will be illegal to import such items.

Lots of things are illegal, but sometimes you just have to take the risk.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Fleetie wrote:

[...]

To return to lava lamps: Are all such lamps effectively living on
borrowed time after Tuesday ...

In view of their anciency, any such lamp now still in existence will already
have been living on borrowed time for decades.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:59:08 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:19:13 +0100, Phil Stovell
had this to say:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:04:52 +0100, chunkyoldcortina wrote:

Sam wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above
would be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in
Sainsbury's last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources
in rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of
other wattages that will be banned.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes
on Ebay I should imagine.

Provided you get 240V or 250V versions.

230V versions won't last long...

UK mains voltage *is* 230v.

_Mine_ isn't. It's about 240V.

Yours must be special then

UK voltage varies between around 220 to over 250. One of the commonest
reasons for voltage to drop (deliberately at least) is for the power
companies to reduce load slightly at peaks hours.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/
What_is_the_household_AC_electrical_power_mains_vo ltage_in_the_UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_p...ound_the_world

BW

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"geraldthehamster" wrote in message

Fleetie wrote:

I wouldn't want to have to reply on receiving bulbs by post, packed and
sent by some dodgy eBay geezer.

Thanks.

Martin

Well, I bought 100 60W pearl bulbs of a reputable brand from an eBay
seller a few months ago, and they arrived intact and well-packed. Come
to think of it, if the dealine is that close for frosted bulbs I need
to order some more, to make sure I have a lifetime's supply.

Whereas twelve 12kh CFL's running 8 hours a day would probably see you out.

But leave him with ****ed eyesight and raging headaches.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Jeff" wrote in message ...
"Sam" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote in message ...
"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes on
Ebay I should imagine.

Not legally, it will be illegal to import such items.
Jeff

So drug dealers will go over to the more lucrative business of smuggling
bulbs

Steve Terry

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In message ,
Bambleweeny57 writes

Sam wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
"Fleetie" wrote in message
[...]

Indeed, the UK mains voltage is now 230V. However, the tolerance
specification is such that, in practice, no changes were required when
the voltage was 'reduced' from the original 240V.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.misc

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:40:56 UTC, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message ,
Bambleweeny57 writes

Sam wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
"Fleetie" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly. He said that the voltage was 230V. He *didn't* say the nominal
voltage was 230V - which we all know is the case.
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Jeff wrote:
"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

No-one has said what those of us with dimmer systems are supposed to do.
Or maybe they think the low-wattage replacements don't need them,
being dim enough already?

(Errr, I meant the bulbs, but you can take that last either way :-)

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bambleweeny57
saying something like:

_Mine_ isn't. It's about 240V.

Yours must be special then

UK voltage varies between around 220 to over 250. One of the commonest
reasons for voltage to drop (deliberately at least) is for the power
companies to reduce load slightly at peaks hours.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/
What_is_the_household_AC_electrical_power_mains_v oltage_in_the_UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_p...ound_the_world

You're preaching to the choir.
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 at 12:15:59, Jeff wrote in
uk.legal :

Not legally, it will be illegal to import such items.

If I was a jury member when someone was being tried for that, I'd be
****ing myself laughing!
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 at 11:58:38, Fleetie
wrote in uk.legal :

[...]

IMO energy-saving bulbs aren't all they're cracked up to be, anyway.

They might not actually *fail* for a long time, but they fade over time,
shortening their useful life that way.
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:09:59 GMT, Paul Hyett
wrote:

IMO energy-saving bulbs aren't all they're cracked up to be, anyway.

They might not actually *fail* for a long time, but they fade over time,
shortening their useful life that way.

As I have posted before, forget CFLs. Wait a short while and there
will be plenty of LED room lighting options. LEDs are more energy
efficient, provide a better quality of light (IMO), may be dimmed, and
are less polluting both in manufacture and in disposal.

Unfortunately it is unlikely that we will see LED lights that are
plug-in replacements for incandecent bulbs any time soon - except
perhaps a type that compromises so greatly on efficiency that they are
poor substitutes. There are some tricky technical problems that will
need to be overcome first. So you'll need to replace the entire
fitting.

--
Cynic

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.misc

In article .uk,
Phil Stovell writes:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:39:52 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:19:13 UTC, Phil Stovell
wrote:

UK mains voltage *is* 230v.

(all together) ...Oh no, it's not!

You'll get a deafening silence!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...tage_in_the_UK

The article is correct, as far as it goes.
If it had said the UK mains voltage is 230V, it would have been incorrect.
You have to read it more carefully.

It's 216v - 253v, 230v nominal.

That's the _specification_ which was specifically designed to allow
the UK mains voltage to remain 240V (and for former 220V countries
to keep their 220V supplies if they want to).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.misc

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
The actual UK voltage has not changed - only the nominal spec voltage and
the limits. Hence the UK remains in spec at 240V

232 when I last did it.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Cynic wrote:

Unfortunately it is unlikely that we will see LED lights that are
plug-in replacements for incandecent bulbs any time soon - except
perhaps a type that compromises so greatly on efficiency that they are
poor substitutes. There are some tricky technical problems that will
need to be overcome first. So you'll need to replace the entire
fitting.

As an experiment, I got a couple of the 3W ones of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...Led/index.html

some time back to replace 2 x 50W GU10 halogen spots. TLC had them on
offer at a fiver each at the time.

As an experiment, I deemed it a success and wished now I'd bought more at
that price! They're not quite the same in terms of coverage and light -
they only had one type at the time and I'm guessing it's the "cool white"
version. I think the "warm white" might be better suited for my test
- kitchen to illuminate the cooker area. Curiously enough, there is a
start-up delay too - fraction of a second (1/4 to 1/2?), but it's still
there. I guess they have some sort of fancy PSU that needs to stabilise
first.

I recon that I actually need 3 of these to fully illuminate the same
area as 2 x GU10 50W halogens, so at some point soon I'll get another
and a fitting, however 9W to replace 100W is good in my book.

Gordon
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

The ban is only on bulbs over 75w

Don't worry about the loss of incandescent bulbs,
new LED technology is going to change the world

Steve Terry

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:01:52 +0100, "Steve Terry"
had this to say:

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

The ban is only on bulbs over 75w

Apparently not - it's all _GLS_ pearl/frosted bulbs.

SES will probably not be classed as GLS, nor will ES, BICBW.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:53:00 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

[...]

LEDs are inherently more directional than other forms of lighting.
That is in fact a good thing, because any light that is illuminating
areas you don't *need* to be illuminated is wasted energy. Coverage
angles are increased either by mounting several LEDs at different
angles, or with suitable optics (usually diffuser/lens combination,
which increases the price).

The PSU is a major part of the system. Some companies have brought
out LED lighting without an adequate PSU design, and as a result they
are either very dim, or will not last 5 minutes. LEDs are very
particular about their current supply if you want to operate them at
peak brightness, and also have a maximum operating temperature that
must not be exceeded - so have to be adequately heatsinked or
otherwise protected for all conceivable ambient temperatures. Some
PSUs are suitable for connection to a dimmer-fed light, but most are
not because they are essentially switch-mode power supplies. If you
want dimmable lighting, it is best to get an LED fitting where the PSU
has a dimmer input rather than using an existing dimmer that operates
on the mains. Some PSUs are switch-mode (and so unaffected by input
voltage), but have a separate sensing circuit that detects the fact
that a dimmer is being used and applies the neccesary changes to the
output to dim the LEDs (usually constant current PWM).

I recon that I actually need 3 of these to fully illuminate the same
area as 2 x GU10 50W halogens, so at some point soon I'll get another
and a fitting, however 9W to replace 100W is good in my book.

Yes - it is definitely the way forward, and I don't see much of a
future for CFLs. OTOH I must declare a vested commercial interest in
LED lighting (but not domestic lights - industrial and streetlighting
only).

--
Cynic

Posted to uk.legal,uk.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:26:11 UTC, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

wrote:

UK mains voltage *is* 230v.

(all together) ...Oh no, it's not!

You'll get a deafening silence!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...tage_in_the_UK

The article is correct, as far as it goes.
If it had said the UK mains voltage is 230V, it would have been incorrect.
You have to read it more carefully.

It's 216v - 253v, 230v nominal.

That's the _specification_ which was specifically designed to allow
the UK mains voltage to remain 240V (and for former 220V countries
to keep their 220V supplies if they want to).

Exactly.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Aug 28, 12:04*am, chunkyoldcortina wrote:
Sam wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in ...
"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

This would be sensible, since this takes account of OP's concern. In
due course, compact fluorescent or LED versions of such specialty
bulbs will probably become available. LED bulbs are currently damned
expensive but are used for traffic and railway signals where high
reliability is needed and the transport and labour costs of bulb
changes are very high.

You'll still be able to buy them from overseas sellers on the likes on Ebay
I should imagine.

Provided you get 240V or 250V versions.

230V versions won't last long...

So you will have to get them from Australia (the only other 240v
stronghold AFAIK) until their nanny state govt. bans them.
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:08:35 +0100, "Jeff" wrote:

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

Initially, yes.

From September 2010, it will be from 75W upwards, from September 2011
it will include everything from 60W upwards, etc.

Altogether there are 6 stages, although I think every size commonly
available will be covered by stage 4 (1 September 2012).
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
These are only my opinions. You should see my convictions.
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Fleetie wrote:

I wouldn't want to have to reply on receiving bulbs by post, packed and
sent by some dodgy eBay geezer.

Thanks.

Martin
Well, I bought 100 60W pearl bulbs of a reputable brand from an eBay
seller a few months ago, and they arrived intact and well-packed. Come
to think of it, if the dealine is that close for frosted bulbs I need
to order some more, to make sure I have a lifetime's supply.

Whereas twelve 12kh CFL's running 8 hours a day would probably see you out.

But leave him with ****ed eyesight and raging headaches.

Less likely than the same symptoms with incandescents.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
You're not losing more hair, you're gaining more scalp.

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:56:32 +0100, Mike Scott
wrote:

Jeff wrote:
"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

No-one has said what those of us with dimmer systems are supposed to do.
Or maybe they think the low-wattage replacements don't need them,
being dim enough already?

There are low wattage bulbs available now that work with dimmers.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
You're not losing more hair, you're gaining more scalp.
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:32:19 -0700 (PDT), AA
On 2009-08-27, chunkyoldcortina wrote:
Sam wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in
"Fleetie" wrote in message

snip
Not sure about GLS lamps but in more specialist lamps,i.e. stage and
studio they come in 230 and 240V flavours, 230V lamps dont make
anywhere near ther rated span here, mebbe all the CFLs we get are
230V ;-)

They shouldn't, since domestic electricity supply across the EU is now
standardized at a nominal 230V.
Alex Heney, Global Villager

Nominal 234v, +- 5%
which covers 220 to 250v

Steve Terry

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

The ban is only on bulbs over 75w

Apparently not - it's all _GLS_ pearl/frosted bulbs.

SES will probably not be classed as GLS, nor will ES, BICBW.

You are.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
1200 bps used to seem so fast
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Fleetie" wrote in message
I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

So I stocked up on some 40W SES bulbs for my lava lamp in Sainsbury's
last night.

But is this true? There are plenty of applications for incandescent
bulbs that are not simply designed for being the main light sources in
rooms.

I believe that it is only 100W bulbs and frosted pearl bulbs of other
wattages that will be banned.

Initially, yes.
From September 2010, it will be from 75W upwards, from September 2011
it will include everything from 60W upwards, etc.

Altogether there are 6 stages, although I think every size commonly
available will be covered by stage 4 (1 September 2012).
Alex Heney, Global Villager

By Sep 2012 new technology LED lamps should be in full production

Steve Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.misc

John Rumm wrote:
Mr X wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
The actual UK voltage has not changed - only the nominal spec
voltage and the limits. Hence the UK remains in spec at 240V

232 when I last did it.

It will vary with location and load. Its usually about 237V here. The
various suppliers will aim to deliver to the majority of properties at
about 240V. Obviously that can mean in practice that the house nearest
the substation is getting close to 250 and the one at the far end of a
LV cable can be quite a bit lower.

We are 50m from a substation & get 252 on average.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.legal,uk.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:38:25 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
Mr X wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news The actual UK voltage has not changed - only the nominal spec
voltage and the limits. Hence the UK remains in spec at 240V

232 when I last did it.

It will vary with location and load. Its usually about 237V here. The
various suppliers will aim to deliver to the majority of properties at
about 240V. Obviously that can mean in practice that the house nearest
the substation is getting close to 250 and the one at the far end of a
LV cable can be quite a bit lower.

We are 50m from a substation & get 252 on average.

I see 241V here, which is fairly typical. I think the substation is
about 150m away.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.misc

It happens that The Medway Handyman formulated :
John Rumm wrote:
Mr X wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news The actual UK voltage has not changed - only the nominal spec
voltage and the limits. Hence the UK remains in spec at 240V

232 when I last did it.

It will vary with location and load. Its usually about 237V here. The
various suppliers will aim to deliver to the majority of properties at
about 240V. Obviously that can mean in practice that the house nearest
the substation is getting close to 250 and the one at the far end of a
LV cable can be quite a bit lower.

We are 50m from a substation & get 252 on average.

100m and 240 to 242v

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Cynic wrote:

LEDs are inherently more directional than other forms of lighting.
That is in fact a good thing, because any light that is illuminating
areas you don't *need* to be illuminated is wasted energy. Coverage
angles are increased either by mounting several LEDs at different
angles, or with suitable optics (usually diffuser/lens combination,
which increases the price).

As far as car running lights go, they are rubbish. Look at the angle of
view they disapear at on a Mercedes. It is very narrow.

This begs the question of 'why did car manufacturers change indicator
light covers from amber to clear and put an amber coated bulb in there,
that can't be seen in bright sunlight?'

The same goes for traffic lights. There is a traffic light controlled
roundabout near here and if you are in the R/H lane, you can not see the
colour of the light until the last minute, because of the angle the
lights are presented to the driver. (You can't see the stop lines until
the last minute either, because of the contour of the road.)

Dave
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Fleetie wrote:

I read in a newspaper on Sunday or Monday that sale of the above would
be illegal in the UK after the coming Tuesday.

Others have already pointed out that this is not accurate.

But in any case you can still buy the 30%-less-power halogen
bulbs in the traditional format. I can't see any reason not
to use them.

I think it's still legal to import any light bulbs for applications
where there is no alternative, but I don't have the relevant document
to hand.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Dave wrote:

This begs the question of 'why did car manufacturers change indicator
light covers from amber to clear and put an amber coated bulb in there,
that can't be seen in bright sunlight?'

Cos it looks cool?

US car manufacturers have spent millions trying to ensure that V8s
continue to sound like V8s when they're only running on four cylinders.

Non incandescent bulbs? terry Home Repair 23 August 20th 09 06:00 AM
Incandescent lamp resistance (from sed} - incandescent.pdf John Fields Electronic Schematics 2 May 23rd 07 05:32 PM
Indoor incandescent flood light bulbs way too yellow. Alternatives? Inquiringmind Home Repair 6 August 31st 06 07:28 PM
A tuesday joke Wayne Woodworking 2 January 25th 05 05:30 PM
Incandescent bulbs - Lumen output ? froggers UK diy 7 November 1st 03 07:42 PM