Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Default O/T: Need urgent advice on where to buy a home for elderly relative

In message
,
Kristen writes
I'm sorry about the O/T post but I can't find any other directly
relevant newsgroups and urgently need advice.

The family homes are no longer suitable for a very close relative of
mine to live in. This relative has very little assets until legal
matters are concluded, which may take years. I will have to chip in
but the immediacy of the matter means that I can't muster more than
50k in savings and borrowings. I know the budget is very small but she
won't be able to take a mortgage given her age and I have found small
homes in rural areas costing that much so I know it is not impossible.

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:

- A home, preferably with a good sized piece of land to keep her
active in the garden
- Within my budget of 50k
- In a quiet, peaceful and safe rural area (the sort of place where
people leave front doors unlocked)
- Has a low cost of living
- Has good healthcare (where she won't have to drive for miles to the
nearest clinic)
- Has a friendly, large Anglican/CoE community who will take care of
her

Something like this ?

http://www.cozypets.com.au/index.html

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message
,
Kristen writes
On Aug 26, 8:35*am, "Clive George" wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message

[...]

- The moon on a stick.

Put another zero on the price and you'll do rather better. Otherwise you're
basing your pricing on the early 90s.

Thanks for your advice. I am speaking to other relatives at the moment
to see if they are willing to provide financial support for the one
that is separating from the family, but at the moment I am
conservatively assuming I'll be the only one willing to help her out.

Even something simple like this will do for an elderly woman with no
family:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-8430903.html
Offers in Region of £49,950
2 bedroom chalet for sale
22 Panteidal, Aberdovey, LL35 0RG

Where is she going to live in January ?

Its a wood built holiday cottage

"OCCUPANCY The chalet may be occupied for holiday use only,
throughout the year except for the month of January. "

I'm currently self-employed so I'm holding a reserve as I expect
additional costs above just buying the house, such as relocation
expenses. My own living expenses off my savings must also be factored
in.

Budget aside, many rural areas will do what you want. You don't want
out-in-the-wilds rural, you want to be near a town of a few thousand so
it'll have a decent clinic. And there's a _lot_ of choice out there. Choose
an area, look at the prices.

Unfortunately I'm not a native Brit so I wouldn't know where to look.

If money is tight, remember lower prices will be for reasons including : no
land, house needs renovation, nasty area, lack of services.

Probably in decreasing order of what I am willing to trade off would
be:
Land size
Lack of services
Renovation work on house
Nasty area

Your budget doesn't run far enough to buy a habitable property

Thanks again for your advice.

Kristen

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message , Tim Downie
writes
AlanG wrote:
At 70 you are probably looking at 15 years max before your relative is
deceased or needing assistance with daily needs.

Ha! Try telling that to my wife's 96 yr old aunt who lives alone and
won't have social service help

Or my grandmother who well into her 870s used to take meals on wheels
around to "the old people"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message
,
Kristen writes

Given the relative's age, have you considered assisted housing - houses or
flats with a resident warden, who looks after the residents?

I thought about the possibility, but always assumed they would cost
more given you're also paying for the price of the caretakers.

In Asian culture from where I'm from it is basically considered a big
gesture of disrespect to let one's elderly be taken care of by someone
else; the duty should always fall to the younger generations. "Old
folks homes" are often used disparagingly and considered a sign of
abandonment.

Welcome to the UK

There are also assisted purchase schemes, which allow people who qualify to
buy a property in part ownership with a Local Authority or a charity. They
can sometimes be combined with assisted housing.

She isn't a British citizen, so I wouldn't want to presume to seek too
much charity from HMG. If she needs healthcare she could use the NHS

Is she eligible to use the NHS ?

but it is really a matter of trying the most we can do before seeking
charity.

Kristen

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message
,
Kristen writes

Sadly this recent family episode happened when another relative was
hospitalised due to a hip fracture. It brought the disparate factions
of the family together from across the world and conflict ignited.
Private hip replacement surgery by a good orthopaedic surgeon will
cost you about GBP350 in SE Asia, 24 hour nursing about GBP30 a day.
Family peace and love though, is priceless.

Why not buy a property in S E Asia then ?

I bought a 4 bedroom house in a Komplex in Bandung a couple of years ago
for a bit over £20,000

Out of curiosity how much will those medical expenses cost privately
in the UK?

A factor of 10 more IWHT

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

geoff wrote:

Or my grandmother who well into her 870s used to take meals on wheels
around to "the old people"

I hope she's in the Guiness Book of Records! There can't be many people
still around who were born in eleven hundred and something. g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On 27 Aug 2009 09:00:16 GMT, Huge wrote:

"Kristen" wrote in message
I'm sorry about the O/T post but I can't find any other directly
relevant newsgroups and urgently need advice.

The family homes are no longer suitable for a very close relative of
mine to live in. This relative has very little assets until legal
matters are concluded, which may take years. I will have to chip in
but the immediacy of the matter means that I can't muster more than
50k

That won't buy you a residential caravan round here, and I hardly live
in the most expensive area in the world (rural North Beds.)

There are plenty of houses for sale here in NE England for under 50k.
I posted a link to some in Hartlepool. There are plenty of others
available in other areas. Some are even in fairly decent areas and
don't need renovation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message , tim.....
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
"Kristen" wrote in message

[...]

Yes it does.

Well, almost (offers in excess of ...)

Just not one that ticks all (or most) of the boxes.

this look suitable for the OP's relative, though it doesn't meet their wish
list

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-26096351.html

I would say that she would be hard pushed to beat that as a best
compromise

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message , AlanG
writes

"Kristen" wrote in message
I'm sorry about the O/T post but I can't find any other directly
relevant newsgroups and urgently need advice.

The family homes are no longer suitable for a very close relative of
mine to live in. This relative has very little assets until legal
matters are concluded, which may take years. I will have to chip in
but the immediacy of the matter means that I can't muster more than
50k

That won't buy you a residential caravan round here, and I hardly live
in the most expensive area in the world (rural North Beds.)

There are plenty of houses for sale here in NE England for under 50k.
I posted a link to some in Hartlepool. There are plenty of others
available in other areas. Some are even in fairly decent areas and
don't need renovation.

Yes, that link you posted yesterday has got me thinking

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , tim.....
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
"Kristen" wrote in message

[...]

There are others:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-12823461.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-13057737.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25919177.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-12234942.html

The last one if for 70% ownership but 100% should only be 45K

(I only looked in the south)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:17:20 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

I don't think it's quite as bad as this. The occupier is a part owner and
has the right to sell and recover his / her share of the selling price
including any profit due to normal inflation.

Of course if the owner / occupier simply defaults then he will be at the
mercy of the housing association.

Cic.

There was a decided case on this issue earlier this year. It was
mentioned by myself on uk.legal at the time.

--
Alasdair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message , tim.....
writes

Probably in decreasing order of what I am willing to trade off would
be:
Land size
Lack of services
Renovation work on house
Nasty area

Your budget doesn't run far enough to buy a habitable property

Yes it does.

Well, almost (offers in excess of ...)

There are others:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-12823461.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-13057737.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25919177.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-12234942.html

The last one if for 70% ownership but 100% should only be 45K

(I only looked in the south)

Looks like Kirsten is going to be wanting your babies soon

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Clive George wrote:
"Kristen" wrote

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-8430903.html
Offers in Region of £49,950
2 bedroom chalet for sale
22 Panteidal, Aberdovey, LL35 0RG

That's not a house, it's a posh equivalent to a caravan. 50 K for 20 years
lease

Nope - 50k for 20 years' lease *that started in 1995*. So 14 years of
that have gone leaving six years; presumably the "option" for a further
ten comes at additional cost.

And the building itself appears to a medium-to-large garden shed.

Whatever you're looking for, this ain't it.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:37:18 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , AlanG
writes

"Kristen" wrote in message
I'm sorry about the O/T post but I can't find any other directly
relevant newsgroups and urgently need advice.

The family homes are no longer suitable for a very close relative of
mine to live in. This relative has very little assets until legal
matters are concluded, which may take years. I will have to chip in
but the immediacy of the matter means that I can't muster more than
50k

That won't buy you a residential caravan round here, and I hardly live
in the most expensive area in the world (rural North Beds.)

There are plenty of houses for sale here in NE England for under 50k.
I posted a link to some in Hartlepool. There are plenty of others
available in other areas. Some are even in fairly decent areas and
don't need renovation.

Yes, that link you posted yesterday has got me thinking

Yes we have a lot of southern immigrants round here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 07:37:08 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

What was the decision, and did it apply to both situations?

Some years ago I considered part-buying a new-build housing association
house. It was made absolutely clear at the time that a part owner had the
right to sell but that the sale must be the whole house - i.e. one could
not just sell the owned percentage and pass on the rental to a new owner /
renter. The proceeds of the selling price were shared on the basis of the
percentage owned.

Cic.

Very unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the case but
hopefully somebody from uk.legal can find it.

Basically, this woman in the West Midlands took a house from a housing
association on a shared ownership plan. Unfortunately she was being
harrassed by her ex-partner's mates, moved out of the house and was
unable to continue paying the rent element.

The housing association agreed to refund her original money as a
goodwill gesture but refused to pay a current market value which had
increased with inflation.

The court held that she was, in law, a tenant and she lost the money
she put into buying the house which went to the housing association.

I understand the matter is being appealed to the Supreme Court but I
have not heard the outcome.

--
Alasdair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In message , AlanG
writes

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

Do they mostly buy up whole streets ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:16:48 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , AlanG
writes

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

No
Difficult to do except on new builds.

There are a lot of retired people who have sold up in the south and
bought a cheaper property in this area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , tim.....
writes

Probably in decreasing order of what I am willing to trade off would
be:
Land size
Lack of services
Renovation work on house
Nasty area

Your budget doesn't run far enough to buy a habitable property

Yes it does.

Well, almost (offers in excess of ...)

There are others:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-12823461.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-13057737.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25919177.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-12234942.html

The last one if for 70% ownership but 100% should only be 45K

(I only looked in the south)

Looks like Kirsten is going to be wanting your babies soon

--
geoff

Unless she has done a runner - no recent responses.