Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Default O/T: Need urgent advice on where to buy a home for elderly relative

I'm sorry about the O/T post but I can't find any other directly
relevant newsgroups and urgently need advice.

The family homes are no longer suitable for a very close relative of
mine to live in. This relative has very little assets until legal
matters are concluded, which may take years. I will have to chip in
but the immediacy of the matter means that I can't muster more than
50k in savings and borrowings. I know the budget is very small but she
won't be able to take a mortgage given her age and I have found small
homes in rural areas costing that much so I know it is not impossible.

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:

- A home, preferably with a good sized piece of land to keep her
active in the garden
- Within my budget of 50k
- In a quiet, peaceful and safe rural area (the sort of place where
people leave front doors unlocked)
- Has a low cost of living
- Has good healthcare (where she won't have to drive for miles to the
nearest clinic)
- Has a friendly, large Anglican/CoE community who will take care of
her
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

- The moon on a stick.

Put another zero on the price and you'll do rather better. Otherwise you're
basing your pricing on the early 90s.

Budget aside, many rural areas will do what you want. You don't want
out-in-the-wilds rural, you want to be near a town of a few thousand so
it'll have a decent clinic. And there's a _lot_ of choice out there. Choose
an area, look at the prices.

If money is tight, remember lower prices will be for reasons including : no
land, house needs renovation, nasty area, lack of services.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Aug 26, 8:35*am, "Clive George" wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your advice. I am speaking to other relatives at the moment
to see if they are willing to provide financial support for the one
that is separating from the family, but at the moment I am
conservatively assuming I'll be the only one willing to help her out.

Even something simple like this will do for an elderly woman with no
family:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-8430903.html
Offers in Region of £49,950
2 bedroom chalet for sale
22 Panteidal, Aberdovey, LL35 0RG

I'm currently self-employed so I'm holding a reserve as I expect
additional costs above just buying the house, such as relocation
expenses. My own living expenses off my savings must also be factored
in.

Budget aside, many rural areas will do what you want. You don't want
out-in-the-wilds rural, you want to be near a town of a few thousand so
it'll have a decent clinic. And there's a _lot_ of choice out there. Choose
an area, look at the prices.

Unfortunately I'm not a native Brit so I wouldn't know where to look.

If money is tight, remember lower prices will be for reasons including : no
land, house needs renovation, nasty area, lack of services.

Probably in decreasing order of what I am willing to trade off would
be:
Land size
Lack of services
Renovation work on house
Nasty area

Thanks again for your advice.

Kristen
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message

Even something simple like this will do for an elderly woman with no
family:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-8430903.html
Offers in Region of £49,950
2 bedroom chalet for sale
22 Panteidal, Aberdovey, LL35 0RG

That's not a house, it's a posh equivalent to a caravan. 50 K for 20 years
lease plus 1.2k/year service charges - not cheap either. And "OCCUPANCY The
chalet may be occupied for holiday use only".

There are places which do caravans for people to retire to. There are mixed
opinions of them - some of the parks are really dodgy, and all are expensive
for what they are.

In the UK, what people think of a house to buy is typically a
brick/stone/block built thing with the freehold (ie not lease). There are
exceptions to this, but that's the norm, especially in a rural area. And
they cost a lot more than that shed.

Budget aside, many rural areas will do what you want. You don't want
out-in-the-wilds rural, you want to be near a town of a few thousand so
it'll have a decent clinic. And there's a _lot_ of choice out there.
Choose
an area, look at the prices.

Unfortunately I'm not a native Brit so I wouldn't know where to look.

For 50K, you're stuffed, unless you do want to go for the genteel equivalent
of a trailer park (some people do like them and are happy in theirs).
However if you can persuade others to help, and/or take on a mortgage, pick
a place. I reckon somewhere like Settle fits all your criteria bar price,
but you'll be looking for 200K or 150K for a place in town.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Aug 26, 10:08*am, "Clive George" wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message

Even something simple like this will do for an elderly woman with no
family:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-8430903.html
Offers in Region of £49,950
2 bedroom chalet for sale
22 Panteidal, Aberdovey, LL35 0RG

That's not a house, it's a posh equivalent to a caravan. 50 K for 20 years
lease plus 1.2k/year service charges - not cheap either.

This relative is about 70 years old. I presume "ground rent" is the
Welsh term for Council Tax as it's dictionary meaning sounds about
right. For future reference, what do "maintenance charges" buy you? A
handyman around if something leaks or utility bills as well?

And "OCCUPANCY The
chalet may be occupied for holiday use only".

Yes, I noticed that but this relative can always leave for January
when she's not supposed to be living there. But of course, I will take
your advice not to go for such a place.

There are places which do caravans for people to retire to. There are mixed
opinions of them - some of the parks are really dodgy, and all are expensive
for what they are.

No, I don't think a caravan is suitable for this relative.

In the UK, what people think of a house to buy is typically a
brick/stone/block built thing with the freehold (ie not lease). There are
exceptions to this, but that's the norm, especially in a rural area. And
they cost a lot more than that shed.

If I dispose of all my assets, sell shares at a loss, withdraw from
bonds and give myself one year's living expenses on savings, I can
probably muster up 200k in a few months. A freehold brick/stone/block
built house is ideal as I intend to hold on to it as an asset.

Budget aside, many rural areas will do what you want. You don't want
out-in-the-wilds rural, you want to be near a town of a few thousand so
it'll have a decent clinic. And there's a _lot_ of choice out there.
Choose
an area, look at the prices.

Unfortunately I'm not a native Brit so I wouldn't know where to look.

For 50K, you're stuffed, unless you do want to go for the genteel equivalent
of a trailer park (some people do like them and are happy in theirs).
However if you can persuade others to help, and/or take on a mortgage, pick
a place.

It would be so much better for everyone if they all enjoyed their
retirement together and in peace but I think this has been simmering
for some time and this close relative has decided that it is time for
her to leave now that all her children have grown up.

I reckon somewhere like Settle fits all your criteria bar price,
but you'll be looking for 200K or 150K for a place in town.

Thanks for your advice and staying awake at this really unsocial hour
in the UK at the moment!

Kristen

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

Well Kristen, I am just up to start a new day and doing my usual NG checks
and came across your post and immediate requirement...and I had to smile.

Now you must please tell us, this is a spoof post of which you have already
hooked one other fishy. Or could it be an email from the late 80's/early
90's that has somehow been lost in the ether and just appeared.

If not you/she had better get into the LOOOONNNNGGGG queue of people wanting
such a piece of wonderland.

That aside and I have just thought, we had a garage (one car shed) that sold
in the middle of our city for £50K a couple of years back...but it did not
have a garden, was not rural, was within 1/2 mile of the hospital and I am
sure MUST have been near a church.

Safe hunting...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

drugs began to take hold. I remember Kristen
saying something like:

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:

- A home, preferably with a good sized piece of land to keep her
active in the garden
- Within my budget of 50k
- In a quiet, peaceful and safe rural area (the sort of place where
people leave front doors unlocked)
- Has a low cost of living
- Has good healthcare (where she won't have to drive for miles to the
nearest clinic)
- Has a friendly, large Anglican/CoE community who will take care of
her

If you find more than one place like that, let me know first. Everybody
and his dog will want one.
Trouble is, one or two of your requirements are contradictory -Rural and
low COL don't equate very often, unless you're growing your own fuel;
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote:

This relative is about 70 years old. I presume "ground rent" is the
Welsh term for Council Tax as it's dictionary meaning sounds about
right.
--------------
No, they are different, ground rent is what it says, payment to the person
who owns the land for the use of the land. This has to be paid when the
property is leasehold - the owner of the building doesn't own the land on
which the building stands and therefore has to rent/lease the land from the
person who owns it.

Council tax (properly called community charge) is payment to the district
council to partly pay for local government services. These services include
police, fire, recycling, refuse collection and removal, schools, leisure
centres, park and ride schemes, parks and open spaces, street cleaning,
subsidising of public transport, tourism, museums, social housing grants,
housing and council tax benefits, environmental health and food safety in
pubs, restaurants and shops, planning services, support for voluntary
groups, meals on wheels, facilities for young people, adapting homes for
disabled people, play centres for children, CCTV installation, sports
facilities, issuing taxi licences, flood defences, and many others. The tax
bears no resemblance to the degree of use of these services, it relates to
the value of the property.

I wonder if it is wise for a 70 year-old to take on a large garden, unless
of course she is very fit and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future
and there is financial capacity to buy-in help with gardening as and when it
is required.

Good luck, this sounds like a nightmare to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Kristen gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:
- Within my budget of 50k

You're funny. We like you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message
This relative is about 70 years old. I presume "ground rent" is the
Welsh term for Council Tax as it's dictionary meaning sounds about
right.

No. Ground rent means you don't own the land the building is standing on,
but rent it from the peson who does. You will pay ground rent on any propety
that is described as leasehold. Freehold property includes ownership of the
land.

For future reference, what do "maintenance charges" buy you? A
handyman around if something leaks or utility bills as well?

It can vary, but normally it only covers the cost of maintaining the common
services. In the case of a residential park, that would be things like the
roads. In a multiple occupancy building, it would probably cover the outer
fabric of the building.

No, I don't think a caravan is suitable for this relative.

Don't be mislead by the rather disparaging description of mobile homes as
caravans. This is what some of them look like.

http://wessexparkhomes.co.uk/page/1/...ial-park-homes

Budget aside, many rural areas will do what you want. You don't want
out-in-the-wilds rural, you want to be near a town of a few thousand so
it'll have a decent clinic. And there's a _lot_ of choice out there.
Choose
an area, look at the prices.

Unfortunately I'm not a native Brit so I wouldn't know where to look.

If you can, avoid South East England, which means anywhere south and east of
a line from the Wash to the Severn estuary. That area is now considered to
be the domitory area for London, which pushes up prices.

I reckon somewhere like Settle fits all your criteria bar price,
but you'll be looking for 200K or 150K for a place in town.

Thanks for your advice and staying awake at this really unsocial hour
in the UK at the moment!

Given the relative's age, have you considered assisted housing - houses or
flats with a resident warden, who looks after the residents?

There are also assisted purchase schemes, which allow people who qualify to
buy a property in part ownership with a Local Authority or a charity. They
can sometimes be combined with assisted housing.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Adrian wrote:
Kristen gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:
- Within my budget of 50k

You're funny. We like you.

Not too helpful to the OP.

There are various schemes, some run by housing associations or
charities, whereby older people can buy a share, or stake, in a
property. These are often associated with sheltered or warden-assisted
schemes. They have drawbacks, of course, but offer an alternative to
full ownership or plain rental.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Kristen wrote:
[...]

A cell in a nunnery sounds about right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Aug 26, 1:09*am, Kristen wrote:
[...]

With that kind of budget, buying is almost certainly not an option.
Things that might help - she could get a mortgage. Lifetime mortgages
are available for up to 30% of the price at age 70. They have no
repayments - the interest is rolled up and payable on the sale of the
property. Not right for everyone, but could be in this situation.

If she has a low income, she could be entitled to housing benefit to
pay rent, but not to pay a mortgage, so she might be better in a
rented house. This could be a house that you buy with a buy to let
mortgage and then rent to her. With a £50000 deposit, that would
stretch your budget to at least £125,000, possibly £160000 or more.
There are places in the north that would meet most of your
requirements within that kind of budget, although it will still take a
bit of searching.

Other option is shared ownership - buy 25% of the property and rent
the rest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

nightjar coughed up some electrons that declared:

Don't be mislead by the rather disparaging description of mobile homes as
caravans. This is what some of them look like.

http://wessexparkhomes.co.uk/page/1/...ial-park-homes

Yes. I know someone who lives in a trailer park. It's impeccable - like the
one above. The trailers are "built in" (with a brick dwarf wall) and a
little garden and a parking space arranged around it - might as well be a
little wooden house, you can barely tell the difference.

They are close, but no worse than many modern bricks and mortar
developments.

And the inside - does not look like a caravan - it's fitted out pretty much
like a flat.

It's finding one near amenities that's harder.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

In article ,
Kristen writes:

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:

Beware that moving an elderly person away from the people they know
and familiar surroundings can often have a most devistating effect
on them.

What is the current home situation?
Isn't there anyway this can be adapted if necessary?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"nightjar .me.uk" wrote:
Given the relative's age, have you considered assisted housing - houses or
flats with a resident warden, who looks after the residents? Colin Bignell

Resident wardens are being phased out, see
http://www.maturetimes.co.uk/node/7563

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Adrian" wrote in message
Kristen gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:
- Within my budget of 50k

You're funny. We like you.

I sold a house with a 70x35 foot garden for about that three months ago.

Not exactly rural as it was in Tipton but there is a few tens of acres of
grass land on the other side of the road.
The big problem was it being a Smiths house so you can't get a mortgage and
needing about £10k spending on new kitchen, bathroom, etc. and the fact that
it was a four way split between the surviving kids so not worth the hassle
of trying to do it up and rent it out.
If the OP is serious about the price then he needs to look for ex council
defective properties like Smiths and buy one that will last another twenty
years or so or until he has the ~£45k to rebuild it to a modern standard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Kristen" wrote in message

Even something simple like this will do for an elderly woman with no
family:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-8430903.html
Offers in Region of £49,950
2 bedroom chalet for sale
22 Panteidal, Aberdovey, LL35 0RG

That's not a house, it's a posh equivalent to a caravan. 50 K for 20 years
lease plus 1.2k/year service charges - not cheap either. And "OCCUPANCY
The chalet may be occupied for holiday use only".

There are places which do caravans for people to retire to. There are
mixed opinions of them - some of the parks are really dodgy, and all are
expensive for what they are.

I would recommend a mobile home park (given the budget). Some are quite
pleasant but you would need to do a lot of work to check on this as some
aren't. Some have quite nice little gardens and are quiet (I was mowing the
grass for one such like your relative the other day). One in a nice village
near me in Oxfordshire went for £65k recently. There *is* a stigma attached
to them but the right ones can be restful and pleasant to live in (if not
profit bearing or visually stunning). Somewhere near where her friends are
would be better! Why not suggest an area - people here might know of such
places.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 05:48:08 +0100, Kurt Ayrez wrote:

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

I had assumed it was from someone who's never lived in the UK and therefore
doesn't realise that it's one of the most overcrowded, expensive places anyone
could live in. Maybe they've formed their opinion of life in Britain from
old movies?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Imbecile wrote:
"Kristen" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your advice.

I wonder if it is wise for a 70 year-old to take on a large garden, unless
of course she is very fit and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future
and there is financial capacity to buy-in help with gardening as and when it
is required.

I just want this relative to find something useful to keep her active
and occupy the mind. It is very easy for the elderly to settle into a
sedentary routine and waste away.

Good luck, this sounds like a nightmare to me.

You have no idea! Yesterday I endured 18 hours of shouting and
backstabbing venom from all sides. I just sat there quietly - if I
told them I didn't want to hear it anymore my newfound life role as a
family therapist would be gone and they would take it out even harder
on each other. At one stage I thought I would have to call an
ambulance.

Kristen

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

This relative is old and doesn't have any health insurance. In the UK
she has two children who actually care about her welfare to take care
of her, plus the NHS. My employment situation is fluid but the other
child is a consultant in a hospital in, ironically, geriatrics.

She has relatives in other Anglo and Asian countries but they are
either indifferent to her plight or are from the wrong family
"faction".

Kristen
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

nightjar wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

I thought about the possibility, but always assumed they would cost
more given you're also paying for the price of the caretakers.

In Asian culture from where I'm from it is basically considered a big
gesture of disrespect to let one's elderly be taken care of by someone
else; the duty should always fall to the younger generations. "Old
folks homes" are often used disparagingly and considered a sign of
abandonment.

There are also assisted purchase schemes, which allow people who qualify to
buy a property in part ownership with a Local Authority or a charity. They
can sometimes be combined with assisted housing.

She isn't a British citizen, so I wouldn't want to presume to seek too
much charity from HMG. If she needs healthcare she could use the NHS
but it is really a matter of trying the most we can do before seeking
charity.

Kristen
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message

[...]

There is complete flexibility of choice as long as the home meets my
aforementioned criteria. The mobile homes shown in the link by
nightjar look alright and certainly dispel my impression of a caravan
home.

Ideally as I will be buying the home for the relative I am looking for
a place with resale or rental value when she passes on.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Kristen
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Kristen writes:

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:

Beware that moving an elderly person away from the people they know
and familiar surroundings can often have a most devistating effect
on them.

Sadly I think things have festered to the point that reconciliation
will not happen. Fights are almost inevitable when the factions are
under the same roof and are sometimes physical.

What is the current home situation?

Divorce, children being disowned, wills being rewritten, smashed
glass, banging/slamming doors, broken doors, early morning/bedtime
yelling, physical blows, police reports, locksmiths being called in to
fix door locks inside the home, marriage counsellors (what a joke),
"other" women, childhood abuse/neglect and so on.

Isn't there anyway this can be adapted if necessary?

Believe me I wish it were possible. It would be so much better if
everyone could just get along but I think for everyone's health it is
better that they live apart.

One thing I learnt from this is don't divorce and/or marry a divorcee.
The relational complexities it adds is unreal.

Kristen
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Kristen wrote:
[...]

One option that no-one has suggested so far is a flat in a block
designed for old people. This has the advantage of not being in a rural
area. Though lots of people retire to the country it is only ever for a
limited period. Rural areas have poorer services, especially health, as
money is syphoned off them to subsidise services in cities. There are
practical problems as well. There is little or no public transport. Once
the old person has to give up driving he or she is cut off. Villages are
losing shops, post offices and pubs so you can't be self-sufficient.
Many have holiday and second homes so have few able bodied permanent
inhabitants to keep an eye on others. Ambulances take much longer
because of the distances and hospitals being centralised. I live in the
country and love it, but I know that sooner or later I will move back to
a city, in my case a good one, being Norwich.

To buy a second-hand 'over-55s' flat in Norwich at the moment costs
about 80 to 90 000 UKP. The UK market is very low. I know because a
friend has one for sale. Management fees are about 1600 UKP a year and
there is ground rent of about 300 a year. For that you would get
maintained grounds, communal meeting area, secure entries and a daytime
manager. Please note this is *not* a sales pitch. I am just giving you
some facts that I happen to know. Of course if you were interested....

Good luck with your relative. It's a very difficult time and you will
need to plan for when she needs nursing care.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

wrote:
[...]

I am assuming that this elderly woman's other daughter won't be able
to assist financially. I will know more when she arrives home next
week - this arrangement is best dealt with in person.

I'm not sure how long it will take divorce proceedings to give the
relative assets to live on but as usual I tend to assume the worst.

Kristen
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Peter Scott wrote:
Kristen wrote:
[...]

A flat is alright but I just think this relative has been so aggrieved
by her loved ones that living out the rest of her years in a peaceful,
rural area is best for her. However, it may also be helpful for her to
find new friends to reach out to so I suppose there are pros and cons
of each, and in the end the decision may be made on the basis of what
I can afford.

To buy a second-hand 'over-55s' flat in Norwich at the moment costs
about 80 to 90 000 UKP. The UK market is very low. I know because a
friend has one for sale. Management fees are about 1600 UKP a year and
there is ground rent of about 300 a year. For that you would get
maintained grounds, communal meeting area, secure entries and a daytime
manager. Please note this is *not* a sales pitch. I am just giving you
some facts that I happen to know. Of course if you were interested....

Yes, please send a link if you have one, or an email with an attached
document to me describing the flat. Give it the same title as the NG
OP as I get quite a lot of junk mail.

Good luck with your relative. It's a very difficult time and you will
need to plan for when she needs nursing care.

Sadly this recent family episode happened when another relative was
hospitalised due to a hip fracture. It brought the disparate factions
of the family together from across the world and conflict ignited.
Private hip replacement surgery by a good orthopaedic surgeon will
cost you about GBP350 in SE Asia, 24 hour nursing about GBP30 a day.
Family peace and love though, is priceless.

Out of curiosity how much will those medical expenses cost privately
in the UK?

Kristen
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Kristen
wrote:

[...]

As others have said, buying a quality palce is difficult.
Search in our area comes up with this.
http://tinyurl.com/nrm4xv

But you may be better renting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:21:10 -0700 (PDT), Kristen
wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

I wonder if it is wise for a 70 year-old to take on a large garden, unless
of course she is very fit and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future
and there is financial capacity to buy-in help with gardening as and when it
is required.

I just want this relative to find something useful to keep her active
and occupy the mind. It is very easy for the elderly to settle into a
sedentary routine and waste away.

I have an elderly relative in her mid 70s. She sold up a few years ago
and moved into a flat in a small town near to her local church. The
flat is alarmed and adapted for the elderly but other than that she is
not botheredby any officialdom. Spends most of her time helping out
with dinner groups and church charities.

At 70 you are probably looking at 15 years max before your relative is
deceased or needing assistance with daily needs.

Good luck, this sounds like a nightmare to me.

You have no idea! Yesterday I endured 18 hours of shouting and
backstabbing venom from all sides. I just sat there quietly - if I
told them I didn't want to hear it anymore my newfound life role as a
family therapist would be gone and they would take it out even harder
on each other. At one stage I thought I would have to call an
ambulance.

Kristen

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

AlanG wrote:
At 70 you are probably looking at 15 years max before your relative is
deceased or needing assistance with daily needs.

Ha! Try telling that to my wife's 96 yr old aunt who lives alone and won't
have social service help

Good luck, this sounds like a nightmare to me.

Echo the sentiment.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message

She isn't a British citizen, so I wouldn't want to presume to seek too
much charity from HMG. If she needs healthcare she could use the NHS
but it is really a matter of trying the most we can do before seeking
charity.

What are the rules for NHS and non-citizens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message

Sadly this recent family episode happened when another relative was
hospitalised due to a hip fracture. It brought the disparate factions
of the family together from across the world and conflict ignited.
Private hip replacement surgery by a good orthopaedic surgeon will
cost you about GBP350 in SE Asia, 24 hour nursing about GBP30 a day.
Family peace and love though, is priceless.

Out of curiosity how much will those medical expenses cost privately
in the UK?

£3.5k upwards for the op.
£10 per hour upwards for the care.
And it is getting more expensive all the time.

Kristen

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message

I am looking to buy a new home for her in the UK. I'm looking for:

- A home, preferably with a good sized piece of land to keep her
active in the garden
- Within my budget of 50k

You can find homes selling for less than 50k. However, you will need to be
extremely flexible on area and possibly willing to buy something of
non-traditional construction (ie, prefab, concrete block & hanging tile
houses etc.) and state of repair. Or a terrace in a poor area in bad
condition. It may be better to buy a £40k house and spend £10k on work, but
that may not be possible if you're not reasonably local.

One thing I can tell you that is good news is that my mum recently employed
tradesmen to do a minor refurb on a property, and was taken aback by how
many people quoted for the job, and how low the prices were. Now is the time
to refurb properties at a knockdown rate. She used a website to advertise
the job - I'll try and get the address.

- In a quiet, peaceful and safe rural area (the sort of place where
people leave front doors unlocked)

I'd be amazed if you can get anywhere with a garden in a good area for that
sort of money. My old downstairs neighbour had 2 bed maisonette with a nice
garden, and lived on the outskirts of one of the best areas in Nottingham,
close to shops and the church but with fields within a few hundred yards. I
would guess at her property being worth at least £100k, and that's
leasehold... The less good areas of Nottingham (or pretty much any UK city)
are pretty grim.

I'd also be amazed if you can find anywhere that isn't extremely rural (ie,
highlands of Scotland) where people still leave doors unlocked.

- Has a low cost of living
- Has good healthcare (where she won't have to drive for miles to the
nearest clinic)

You need a large town or city for that. I live in a small town at the
moment. There is one supermarket. Everything is far more expensive that it
should be. Buying clothes or anything more exotic than a bulb of garlic
requires travelling to another town.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message
I'm sorry about the O/T post but I can't find any other directly
- Has a friendly, large Anglican/CoE community who will take care of
her

I'm sorry to say this, but many rural Anglican/CoE communities are insular
and don't seem to welcome strangers.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

Bill Wright wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message
I'm sorry about the O/T post but I can't find any other directly
- Has a friendly, large Anglican/CoE community who will take care of
her

I'm sorry to say this, but many rural Anglican/CoE communities are insular
and don't seem to welcome strangers.

Bill

OTOH many are not..

BUT expecting a community to take care of someone is a long shot: thats
what care homes are for.

Or sheltered accomodation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Doki" wrote in message

- Has a low cost of living
- Has good healthcare (where she won't have to drive for miles to the
nearest clinic)

You need a large town or city for that. I live in a small town at the
moment. There is one supermarket. Everything is far more expensive that it
should be. Buying clothes or anything more exotic than a bulb of garlic
requires travelling to another town.

I live a mile from a town of 3000 people, which I think probably counts as
small. There's two supermarkets - slightly more expensive than an asda or
lidl, but not painfully so by any means - probably similar to normal posh
supermarket price, but they sell a full range of food. There's a very good
doctors surgery + clinic in the town which copes with anything not needing
full-on hospital work.

It's also got plenty of clothes available for the older generation, but that
probably doesn't interest you :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:45:37 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

AlanG wrote:
At 70 you are probably looking at 15 years max before your relative is
deceased or needing assistance with daily needs.

Ha! Try telling that to my wife's 96 yr old aunt who lives alone and won't
have social service help

There are always a few lucky exceptions but on the whole 85 seems to
be the time they need a helping hand if not toesup.

Good luck, this sounds like a nightmare to me.

Echo the sentiment.

Indeed

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message
On Aug 26, 8:35 am, "Clive George" wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message

snip
[...]

Properties such as this can meet you initial budget but they will not meet
your aspirations for an investment.

The owners of these sites (as with resedential/holiday caravan sites) have
you at their mercy.

They can increase the service charges whenever they want to, and they take a
cut of any sale - note the requirement to sell to them unless they don't
want it, in which case they get 5% + VAT of whatever you get on a private
sale.

These conditions are what keeps the price low - it makes the property
initially affordable but does not make it a good investment.

Why not invest your £50k and use the interest and part capital to pay for a
rental property.

Many good properties which meet your requirements are availabel currently
for £400-£500 per month.

Assuming an expenditure on rent of £5,000 per year that is at least 10 years
before the money runs out, and meanwhile you have the opportunity to add to
your investment (along with any sympathetic relatives) and from some of your
posts it appears that more finance may become available in the future. If
so, you can then decide if you want to carry on renting or if you can buy
somewhere. It is only the UK (and recently at that) where ownership of
property has become the norm. Most UK people in past times, and elsewhere
today, rent.

Your relative does not have to live alone - many people share rented
accomodation and sharing the costs will give better value for money.

For instance you should be able to get a three bedroom semi detached
property for about £750 per month in most areas, and for less in cheaper
areas.

Two people sharing get a bedroom each, a spare room for occasional visitors,
and companionship. All for £450 a month.

I happen to live in Felixstowe in Suffolk, which is a retirement town
(Harwich for the continent, Felixstowe for the incontinent) and I think that
if you decided to rent you could meet all your other aspirations here.

To buy, you are looking at £90k plus and compromising on the garden and
desirable area.

Hope this helps.

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"Kristen" wrote in message
[...]

Prices were lower in the mid 90's than early 90's. They went down for about
6 years between 1989 and 1995.

Suggest the OP waits a few years, same is happening now. Except the rise in
prices was much greater this time and therefore so probably will be the
fall.

There's lots of rental availability at the moment and you can get bargains,
as people who are unable to sell (or who are stupid enough to be asking 2007
prices) are forced to rent out their property instead.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Kristen" wrote in message
On Aug 26, 8:35 am, "Clive George" wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message

snip
[...]

This only has 7 years left on the lease.

tim