Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Default scratched plastic mobile facia - any thoughts?

number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

thanks in advance

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

thanks in advance

JimK

Search for "Polywatch" - it did a great job on my badly scratched watch
glass (which like most is actually plastic).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:59:58 UTC, jim wrote:

number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

I was once given a free mobile phone cleaning kit (by Orange, I think)
and it included suitable facia polish - which worked. Try a phone shop?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 1:41*pm, "Bob Eager" wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:59:58 UTC, jim wrote:
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

I was once given a free mobile phone cleaning kit (by Orange, I think)
and it included suitable facia polish - which worked. Try a phone shop?

* *http://www.diybanter.com

toothpaste or T-cut gently rubbed across the scratches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 25 Aug, 11:29, Reentrant wrote:
jim wrote:
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

thanks in advance

JimK

Search for "Polywatch" - it did a great job on my badly scratched watch
glass (which like most is actually plastic).

found and ordered (ebay) thanks to all

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

thanks in advance

If the scratches aren't too deep you could try Brasso and then fine polish
the plastic with metallic T-Cut or equivalent.

If the scratches are deeper, you may need to use the finest grade of wet &
dry paper to start with then use the brasso & t-cut. I use these methods
for removing scratches from DVDs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:56:01 +0100, "Mr Benn"
wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

thanks in advance

If the scratches aren't too deep you could try Brasso and then fine polish
the plastic with metallic T-Cut or equivalent.

If the scratches are deeper, you may need to use the finest grade of wet &
dry paper to start with then use the brasso & t-cut. I use these methods
for removing scratches from DVDs.

Will these methods work for removing scratches on spectacles?

DJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
If the scratches aren't too deep you could try Brasso and then fine polish
the plastic with metallic T-Cut or equivalent.

If the scratches are deeper, you may need to use the finest grade of wet &
dry paper to start with then use the brasso & t-cut. I use these methods
for removing scratches from DVDs.

Will these methods work for removing scratches on spectacles?

I have never tried it on spectacles but for non-coated plastic lenses, I
don't see why not. It should work for most plastics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
If the scratches aren't too deep you could try Brasso and then fine polish
the plastic with metallic T-Cut or equivalent.

If the scratches are deeper, you may need to use the finest grade of wet &
dry paper to start with then use the brasso & t-cut. I use these methods
for removing scratches from DVDs.

Will these methods work for removing scratches on spectacles?

I have never tried it on spectacles but for non-coated plastic lenses, I
don't see why not. It should work for most plastics.

It will, but you will lose some optical accuracy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Aug, 10:59, jim wrote:
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Micromesh abrasives. Expensive, but work very well on plastics. Easier
to achieve a good result with than polishes.

For a phone though, I'd probably just use wet Wet & Dry paper. 1200
grit is common enough, you can go finer if you go to a car refinishing
place. That's adequate for phone screens, if not for sunglasses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 25 Aug, 10:59, jim wrote:
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Micromesh abrasives. Expensive, but work very well on plastics. Easier
to achieve a good result with than polishes.

For a phone though, I'd probably just use wet Wet & Dry paper. 1200
grit is common enough, you can go finer if you go to a car refinishing
place. That's adequate for phone screens, if not for sunglasses.

The abrasives for military aircraft plastic windscreen sections and
canopies go as fine as 5000 grit. I tried using some on a brass bar and
it made it shine without any scratches.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David J
writes
wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Anyone has any experiences trying to polish such scratches out ? with
what?

thanks in advance

If the scratches aren't too deep you could try Brasso and then fine polish
the plastic with metallic T-Cut or equivalent.

If the scratches are deeper, you may need to use the finest grade of wet &
dry paper to start with then use the brasso & t-cut. I use these methods
for removing scratches from DVDs.

Will these methods work for removing scratches on spectacles?

By that, I presume you mean the lenses

You would certainly lose quality and optical performance.

Why bother when you could prolly get the lenses replaced for £30

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 25 Aug, 10:59, jim wrote:
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Micromesh abrasives. Expensive, but work very well on plastics.
Easier
to achieve a good result with than polishes.
For a phone though, I'd probably just use wet Wet & Dry paper. 1200
grit is common enough, you can go finer if you go to a car refinishing
place. That's adequate for phone screens, if not for sunglasses.

The abrasives for military aircraft plastic windscreen sections and
canopies go as fine as 5000 grit. I tried using some on a brass bar and
it made it shine without any scratches.

Surely a LOT of work though

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 28 Aug, 12:47, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 25 Aug, 10:59, jim wrote:

number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.

Micromesh abrasives. Expensive, but work very well on plastics. Easier
to achieve a good result with than polishes.

For a phone though, I'd probably just use wet Wet & Dry paper. 1200
grit is common enough, you can go finer if you go to a car refinishing
place. That's adequate for phone screens, if not for sunglasses.

mmmm actually tried some 1000 wet and dry and it made the overall
effect worse - i.e you could see less well through the "fog" of small
wet and dry scratches than just the original big scratches. However a
dollop of the recommneded Polywatch stuff did make the whole thing a
lot clearer. When looked at obliquely you can see what a mess has been
made of the facia, but to loo through it is certainly a lot lot better
than it was.

Thanks to all
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Dave
writes
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 25 Aug, 10:59, jim wrote:
number 2 son has now managed to scratch both SWMBO and my mobile
phones by rubbing them on the wood floor where grit etc has worked
it's magic and scratched them.
Micromesh abrasives. Expensive, but work very well on plastics. Easier
to achieve a good result with than polishes.
For a phone though, I'd probably just use wet Wet & Dry paper. 1200
grit is common enough, you can go finer if you go to a car refinishing
place. That's adequate for phone screens, if not for sunglasses.

The abrasives for military aircraft plastic windscreen sections and
canopies go as fine as 5000 grit. I tried using some on a brass bar
and it made it shine without any scratches.

Surely a LOT of work though

I didn't get involved with that, but you are right, it was a lot of work
and took several hours to correct the problem. At the end of the day the
transperecy had to be clear and as near as possible, be optically correct.

Dave