Furby

Default scratched facia

Any one found a way of fixing scratches on the front of the chrome effect
(plastic really) facia founds of most popular brands of home entertainment
kit and various other places such as cars,

Thanks

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Furby wrote:
Any one found a way of fixing scratches on the front of the chrome
effect (plastic really) facia founds of most popular brands of home
entertainment kit and various other places such as cars,

Halfords sell chrome paint which might improve matters - but a perfect
repair? I doubt it.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rob Morley wrote:
I think you'll find that it's actually chrome[1] plated plastic, so
if you really want to fix it I suggest stripping, polishing and
replating just like any other plated finish. I suspect this will
require more effort than it's really worth though.

It's not possible to have plastic re-plated as a one off. IMHO. If anyone
knows different, I'd love to hear from them.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Wade

Mike Faithfull wrote:

I would be surprised if any "ancient book" covered plating on plastic.

Well, it just so happens that I have a copy of "Electro-Plating for the
Amateur" by L. Warburton (Model & Allied Publications, ISBN 0853440565).

Firstly it's not _that_ ancient: first published 1950, 2nd edition 1955,
3rd edition 1963. I bought my copy (3rd ed. 7th impression 1976) when I
wanted to do some anodising (moderately successful).

Secondly it does cover what it calls "plating of non-conductors."

Unless the plastic is conductive to a degree - and most are not - the
'traditional' electroplating process will not work. I suspect (speculative
comment) that coating plastic may involve vacuum chambers, high voltages,
and vapourised metal ... The anorak in me would like to know the true
answer - some Googling called for, I think!

That's one method. The said book covers three more, all of which amount
to ways of applying a conductive coating first:

- apply a graphite coating: prime the substrate with 1:2 mixture of
paraffin wax and beeswax (applied hot), leave to cool and sprinkle with
graphite powder (can you still get Aquadag?);

- what it calls "the mirror method": a recipe is given for making your
own electroless silver solution - requires rochelle salt, "strong
ammonia", silver nitrate and (uk.d-i-y's favourite chemical) caustic soda;

- the "gold method": apply gold-size and gild in gold leaf!

Industrially the electroless method is predominant, at least in the one
field that I'm familiar with, viz. the PCB industry. Here use of
"electroless copper" is a completely routine step in the production of
plated-through-hole boards.

So try Googling for "electroless plating" or "electroless copper".

--
Andy
Andy Wade

Rob Morley wrote:

Cheers for that - I'm not sure if I still have my copy. ISTR it
being just post-WWII - doesn't it mention using war-surplus kit to
build your own equipment?

1950 as I said and, yes, parts of it are very much in the post-war
spirit. There is mention of an ample supply of cheap ex-Govt.
transformers and a section on motor-generator sets for use on DC mains...

--
Andy

Mike Faithfull

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Mike Faithfull wrote:

I would be surprised if any "ancient book" covered plating on plastic.

(big snip)
So try Googling for "electroless plating" or "electroless copper".

I did. Fascinating. Thanks Andy.