Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I finished the clamp!

I was making a clamp to match an old one that holds the lid on a large
electric motor.
The finished clamp in place on the motor:
http://i26.tinypic.com/n6f3o0.jpg

It still needs to be painted black. What a pity!
The patent date on the motor is Oct 9, 1888

The finished clamp together with the original that had to be copied:
http://i32.tinypic.com/fwhsgz.jpg

To save cutting a huge block of steel, an extension was welded on the
handle. The weld was tidied up with an angle grinder!
http://i25.tinypic.com/eiqmr.jpg

I tried my hand at forging this rusty old bolt by heating it up red
hot and flattening the head with a big hammer. I cut the thread much
further:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2qmes9l.jpg

Halfway through chopping up the big block of steel, in case you missed
the earlier discussion:
http://i25.tinypic.com/27yuxz6.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

[...]

Brilliant! I only wish that I had the equipment and skills to be able to
make things like that.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 8:21 pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:
Matty F wrote:

[...]

The only expensive machine that I used was a metal bandsaw. It would
be possible to use a hand hacksaw but that would be hard work.
Otherwise an angle grinder could do most of it. I used a sandpaper
flapper disk in the grinder for finishing work.
I used a drill press for 4 holes but a portable drill would have done
instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

To save cutting a huge block of steel, an extension was welded on the
handle. The weld was tidied up with an angle grinder!
http://i25.tinypic.com/eiqmr.jpg

That joint disappeared rather nicely when all ground down!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I was making a clamp to match an old one that holds the lid on a large
electric motor.
The finished clamp in place on the motor:
http://i26.tinypic.com/n6f3o0.jpg

A fine piece of work.

Rail traction equipment in general does have an amazing life, the
first I was involved with after graduation is still in daily
service, whilst I am now retired. ;-) Not sure anybody will be
that keen to preserve it though.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

[...]

And the welding?

I think it would have been almost imposible to saw accurately enough with a
hand-held hacksaw - they wander off the line too easily!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

I think it would have been almost imposible to saw accurately enough with
a hand-held hacksaw - they wander off the line too easily!

Not with a decent frame, all hard blade and a bit of practice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

[...]

I'm not that good at welding, but I knew we had an expert welder
available. Otherwise I would have used a longer bit of steel in the
first place.

I think it would have been almost imposible to saw accurately enough with a
hand-held hacksaw - they wander off the line too easily!

I don't think I could have done that much hacksawing by hand, even
though it didn't have to be that accurate since I knew I'd be doing a
lot of grinding.
But I design jobs to suit the tools available. The metal bandsaw is
rather wonderful.
I'd like a small hand-held grinder. Perhaps a Dremel, but I have never
seen one. It's not clear from their website whether it will grind
steel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Roger Mills"
saying something like:

I think it would have been almost imposible to saw accurately enough with a
hand-held hacksaw - they wander off the line too easily!

Thousands of apprentices found otherwise over the years. It's not that
difficult.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

I'd like a small hand-held grinder. Perhaps a Dremel, but I have never
seen one. It's not clear from their website whether it will grind
steel.

Course it will - just get the right cutters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

I'd like a small hand-held grinder. Perhaps a Dremel, but I have never
seen one. It's not clear from their website whether it will grind
steel.

If you have a compressor aldi/lidl frequently have die grinders for about
£20.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F writes:
I'd like a small hand-held grinder. Perhaps a Dremel, but I have never
seen one. It's not clear from their website whether it will grind
steel.

They will, but are seriously lacking in oomph. I have one; it's 125W
whereas the Bosch die grinders start at 500W; I definitely wish I had
something more like that. One can do small jobs with a Dremel, but I
think you'd be seriously disappointed.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 26, 8:53 pm, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
Matty F writes:
I'd like a small hand-held grinder. Perhaps a Dremel, but I have never
seen one. It's not clear from their website whether it will grind
steel.

They will, but are seriously lacking in oomph. I have one; it's 125W
whereas the Bosch die grinders start at 500W; I definitely wish I had
something more like that. One can do small jobs with a Dremel, but I
think you'd be seriously disappointed.

I guess our 1kW bench grinder would be quicker for my larger jobs
then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 06:43:43 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Roger Mills"
saying something like:

I think it would have been almost imposible to saw accurately enough with a
hand-held hacksaw - they wander off the line too easily!

Thousands of apprentices found otherwise over the years. It's not that
difficult.

It's getting to know the particular saw.
I cut 2 ice-daggers with a saw at work - just cut 'straight' with the saw
and it gave me 4 matching, tapered curves. So long as the error is constant
it can be compensated for.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.