Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double glazing replacement unit.

I have wooden window frames in my house which contain smallish sealed
double glazed units.

The units total dimensions are appox 49cm x 46cm x 1.7cm.

The units are held in place by four wooden strips.

All in all pretty cheap and nasty.

Is it possible to get replacement units and fit them myself. If so how
should I specify dimensions and where do I order them from.

I did phone one supplier but he said they need to be measured and fitted
by a professional which seem a bit strange.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 10:32*am, Nick wrote:
I have wooden window frames in my house which contain smallish sealed
double glazed units.

The units total dimensions are appox 49cm x 46cm x 1.7cm.

The units are held in place by four wooden strips.

All in all pretty cheap and nasty.

Is it possible to get replacement units and fit them myself. If so how
should I specify dimensions and where do I order them from.

Somethign probably not to worry about overly but: You would be
"interfering with a thermal unit" and you might need to be able to
satisfy building control that the modified window meets modern
building regulations. It won't have a FENSA certificate and the new
units will probably have the date engraved inside them.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wibbled:

I have wooden window frames in my house which contain smallish sealed
double glazed units.

The units total dimensions are appox 49cm x 46cm x 1.7cm.

The units are held in place by four wooden strips.

All in all pretty cheap and nasty.

Is it possible to get replacement units and fit them myself. If so how
should I specify dimensions and where do I order them from.

I did phone one supplier but he said they need to be measured and fitted
by a professional which seem a bit strange.

If you mean the double glazing panels (units) then any high street glazier
should be able to make or have them made for you. Varies between 70-100+
quid / m2 from plain old annealed glass to annealed K glass to toughened K
glass to argon filling.

It would be best to pop the beading off and exactly measure your existing
units then quote that size to the glazier.

If you want a whole DG frame, www.windowsanddoors.co.uk look interesting -
but I haven't used them - the local glazier pretty much matches their price
and produces some top notch uPVC frames.

BTW what's wrong with your current windows?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Nick wibbled:

[...]

So approx £30.00 per pane.

One pane has the top beading missing and has misted but I also need to
replaced a cracked pane on another window.

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Repairs are exempted from Building Regulations.

A typical spec for a sealed unit would be something like "4/16/4 K-
glass, 300*200mm"

The numbers mean 4mm plain glass, 16mm air gap, 4mm plain glass - so
overall 24mm thick.

K-glass means that the inner pane will have a transparent heat
reflective coating (and stickers on it to show you which face should
be inwards/outwards when fitting it).

K-glass is standard nowadays and the extra cost minimal.

It's best if you remove the original unit and measure it. Measure the
overall thickness accurately to calculate the air gap.

It's normal practice for the glazing unit to be 5mm smaller than the
rebate in the frame in each direction, and to stand up on little
rubber spacer blocks - but if you're measuring from the original
glazing unit you won't have to worry about this.

You may find that the wooden glazing beads are in a pretty tatty state
(or will be after you've prized them off) and need replacing. Beading
can be suprisingly expensive - if you the facilities to run up your
own, so much the better.

As far as fitting the glass, butyl rubber glazers tape is the stuff to
use now. It's a non-setting, thick (typically 10*3mm) and very sticky
- position it carefully between glass and timber to form a good
weather seal.

Wickes sell it, or if you're lucky your glazer will give/sell you a
bit.

Best going to a small local glazier that's happy to make up just 1 or
2 units for a customer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RubberBiker writes:

K-glass means that the inner pane will have a transparent heat
reflective coating (and stickers on it to show you which face should
be inwards/outwards when fitting it).

K-glass is standard nowadays and the extra cost minimal.

However, it will show if you fit one K-glass pane, and the
others aren't. (It will often show if you replace one too,
as batches/makes are often different tints.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker wrote:
Repairs are exempted from Building Regulations.

A typical spec for a sealed unit would be something like "4/16/4 K-
glass, 300*200mm"

The numbers mean 4mm plain glass, 16mm air gap, 4mm plain glass - so
overall 24mm thick.

K-glass means that the inner pane will have a transparent heat
reflective coating (and stickers on it to show you which face should
be inwards/outwards when fitting it).

K-glass is standard nowadays and the extra cost minimal.

It's best if you remove the original unit and measure it. Measure the
overall thickness accurately to calculate the air gap.

Is that the way to quote.

Assuming 4mm glass. My spec would be something like

If Overall dimensions are 490mm x 460mm x 17mm

I would quote

490mm x 460mm with 9mm air gap?

[...]

Thanks very helpful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Either quote the 9mm airgap, with assumption of 4mm float glass, or
quote the whole thing 4/9/4 so there is no ambiguity about the overall
thickness of the unit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim S
writes

Is it possible to get replacement units and fit them myself. If so how
should I specify dimensions and where do I order them from.

Yep, go for it, wooden beads are relatively easy to pop out. Using self
adhesive glazing tape fitted to the inside of the frame when fitting the
new glass will stop a burglar removing the pane in the same way.

I did phone one supplier but he said they need to be measured and fitted
by a professional which seem a bit strange.

Sounds like protectionism to me.

If you mean the double glazing panels (units) then any high street glazier
should be able to make or have them made for you. Varies between 70-100+
quid / m2 from plain old annealed glass to annealed K glass to toughened K
glass to argon filling.

That is probably the most expensive way to by them, a glazier rarely
wastes time making up DG units, they buy them ready made from a
wholesale glass merchant and will mark them up before selling to you.
Some wholesale merchants are happy to deal with sole trader handymen and
a competent DIYer should easily be able to pass for one of them, buy
from the wholesaler. Look under glass merchant in the Yellow Pages.

It would be best to pop the beading off and exactly measure your existing
units then quote that size to the glazier.

I wouldn't dismantle before the replacements are available. The glass
bearing part of the frame is visible and easily measurable, measure the
glass bearing opening and subtract 5mm to get the glass size for
ordering. Existing unit thickness can found by measuring the frame
thickness and subtracting the inset measurements to the panes on the
inside and outside.
--
fred