Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boilers...

Anyone know anything against Viessmann boilers? Specifically Vitodens
100-W.

Plumber has probably just done a training course:-)

I note their 5 year warranty only works if it is installed by one of
their trained operatives!

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Anyone know anything against Viessmann boilers? Specifically Vitodens
100-W.

Plumber has probably just done a training course:-)

Hope he passed with flying colours for setting it up - especially for
weather compensation. Unless they've simplified things over the 200 series.
Luckily, their technical people are very helpful even to the owner.

I note their 5 year warranty only works if it is installed by one of
their trained operatives!

The expensive parts are 5 years regardless.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Anyone know anything against Viessmann boilers? Specifically Vitodens
100-W.

Plumber has probably just done a training course:-)

I note their 5 year warranty only works if it is installed by one of
their trained operatives!

regards

The latest edition of Which? magazine has a members' survey of gas
condensing boiler reliability. The first figure is the percentage of
people whose boiler malfunctioned over the first years after
installation. The second is the percentage of people who would recommend
one to someone else. The number in brackets is the number of respondees.
The results a

Vaillant(426) 26 66
Worcester(927) 29 66
Alpha(64) 42 52
Baxi(250) 38 49
Glow-worm (287) 39 51
Potterton (188) 36 47
Vokera (34) 29 62
British Gas(203)36 37
Ferroli(34) 41 50
Halstead (30) 53 50
Ideal (163) 44 36
Keston (34) 76 26

Viessman not mentioned.

What struck me was how b****y awful the reliability figures are. For
even the best ones a quarter failed in the first four years. Is it
because these condensing things are relatively new and the manufacturers
are still experimenting?

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wibbled:

Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

Viessmann are fairly new to the domestic market so that may explain the lack
of data.

I agree though - the figures seem pathetic in terms of failure rates.
Although I wonder how those break down into maintanance items (eg
thermocouples) and more serious faults?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Scott
writes
Viessman not mentioned.

What struck me was how b****y awful the reliability figures are. For
even the best ones a quarter failed in the first four years. Is it
because these condensing things are relatively new and the
manufacturers are still experimenting?

It doesn't inspire much confidence.

Presumably *faults* would include system design/installation errors
rather than just defects within the boiler itself?

My wife has just been bitten by the Potterton cct. board bug. Letting
agent called in a plumber who changed the board for 200ukp!

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Aug, 10:00, Peter Scott wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

I would say that most failures were caused by installation faults
..
Earlier ecoTEC's for e.g. 3 years old are suffering from split hoses,
faulty Wilo pumps and pressure switches, however all issues have been
resolved now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Aug, 09:04, Tim Lamb wrote:
Anyone know anything against Viessmann boilers? Specifically Vitodens
100-W.

Plumber has probably just done a training course:-)

I note their 5 year warranty only works if it is installed by one of
their trained operatives!

regards
--
Tim Lamb

The training course is free and you also get lunch.

The newer Viessmann Vitodens 100-w is said to be a great improvement
compared to the earlier Vitodens 100.

However I would spend a little extra and get the Vitodens 200.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We installed a Vitodens 100 last year and we have no complaints.
You would probably go for a worcester-bosch as thats what most
suppliers/plumbers know. However Viessmann have been producing energy
efficient boilers both Industrial and domestic in Europe for ages. The
track record is good, and we have had no problem with it.
Hope this helps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 17 Aug, 09:04, Tim Lamb wrote:
Anyone know anything against Viessmann boilers? Specifically Vitodens
100-W.

Plumber has probably just done a training course:-)

I note their 5 year warranty only works if it is installed by one of
their trained operatives!

regards
--
Tim Lamb

The training course is free and you also get lunch.

The newer Viessmann Vitodens 100-w is said to be a great improvement
compared to the earlier Vitodens 100.

That's interesting.

However I would spend a little extra and get the Vitodens 200.

Any particular reason?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim S
writes
David coughed up some electrons that declared:

The newer Viessmann Vitodens 100-w is said to be a great improvement
compared to the earlier Vitodens 100.

That's interesting.

However I would spend a little extra and get the Vitodens 200.

Any particular reason?

Yes. Why?

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , Tim S
writes
David coughed up some electrons that declared:

The newer Viessmann Vitodens 100-w is said to be a great improvement
compared to the earlier Vitodens 100.

That's interesting.

However I would spend a little extra and get the Vitodens 200.

Any particular reason?

Yes. Why?

Curiousity...

I had it on my plans to install a heat only 100 (now 100-w).

Just wondered if I'm missing something with the 200. I can't see it on the
face of it though.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Aug, 09:04, Tim Lamb wrote:
Anyone know anything against Viessmann boilers? Specifically Vitodens
100-W.

Plumber has probably just done a training course:-)

I note their 5 year warranty only works if it is installed by one of
their trained operatives!

regards
--
Tim Lamb

The training course is free and you also get lunch.

The newer Viessmann Vitodens 100-w is said to be a great improvement
compared to the earlier Vitodens 100.

That's interesting.

However I would spend a little extra and get the Vitodens 200.

Any particular reason?

Cheers

Tim

Yes, the V100 is the watered down version for the UK market. The V200
and V300 are more rugged and have better/more options available.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Aug, 09:04, Tim Lamb wrote:
[...]

And also the interface the 200 is different, has a lambda sensor that
can automatically detect the fule given. e.g no need for lpg
conversion. Also the weather comp and additional controls are more
sophisticated, as to been given more options
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yes, the V100 is the watered down version for the UK market. The V200
and V300 are more rugged and have better/more options available.

Hmm - I'm intrigued by the "more rugged" bit.

I was looking at the 100 as it's a) tiny; b) simple - I only need heat on an
open vented system into a heatbank. I doubt it's even going to modulate.

Weather compensation is likely to be moot as that could be better
implemented at the heatbank (ie don't fully charge the whole store in
summer.

Or does weather compensation allow the boiler to run more efficiently at
lower outputs in modulating mode?

The 100 has a stainless steel heat exchanger (I presume many decent boilers
do) - so are there any weak points left?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Aug, 21:40, Tim S wrote:
David coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yes, the V100 is the watered down version for the UK market. The V200
and V300 are more rugged and have better/more options available.

Hmm - I'm intrigued by the "more rugged" bit.

I was looking at the 100 as it's a) tiny; b) simple - I only need heat on an
open vented system into a heatbank. I doubt it's even going to modulate.

Weather compensation is likely to be moot as that could be better
implemented at the heatbank (ie don't fully charge the whole store in
summer.

Or does weather compensation allow the boiler to run more efficiently at
lower outputs in modulating mode?

The 100 has a stainless steel heat exchanger (I presume many decent boilers
do) - so are there any weak points left?

Cheers

Tim

Oooh I don't know much about heat stores.

Don't get me wrong the Vitodens 100-w is a very nice simple boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
David wrote:
And also the interface the 200 is different, has a lambda sensor that
can automatically detect the fule given. e.g no need for lpg
conversion. Also the weather comp and additional controls are more
sophisticated, as to been given more options

Sophisticated? Is that another name for unfathomable? ;-)

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article
,
David wrote:
And also the interface the 200 is different, has a lambda sensor that
can automatically detect the fule given. e.g no need for lpg
conversion. Also the weather comp and additional controls are more
sophisticated, as to been given more options

Sophisticated? Is that another name for unfathomable? ;-)

It's marketing speak for "when the warranty runs out... your arse belongs to
us"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
And also the interface the 200 is different, has a lambda sensor that
can automatically detect the fule given. e.g no need for lpg
conversion. Also the weather comp and additional controls are more
sophisticated, as to been given more options

Sophisticated? Is that another name for unfathomable? ;-)

It's marketing speak for "when the warranty runs out... your arse
belongs to us"

Oh, my 200 looks like it would be easy enough to repair. It's programming
it that's the difficult bit. I keep hoping to come across an idiot's guide.
Basically, to alter anything uses multi-press keys. If only they'd fitted
a serial etc port so it could be programmed via a PC.

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
David writes
On 17 Aug, 21:40, Tim S wrote:
[...]

That sounds like my sort of boiler:-)

How do they organise by-pass? Or is it not required?

My under floor system is split into 3 separate circuits each having a
local thermostat. There are no radiators at present and no towel rail.

At some future date, I may decide to feed an additional radiator load in
an adjoining room.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Don't get me wrong the Vitodens 100-w is a very nice simple boiler.

That sounds like my sort of boiler:-)

Might be if only using for a simple task. If you have to add bits to it to
do what you want, might not be quite the same bargain.

How do they organise by-pass? Or is it not required?

The 200 series has it built in. And adjustable.

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Best oil to use in CH boilers. Anode[_4_] UK diy 19 November 28th 17 08:05 AM
boilers [email protected] UK diy 6 October 16th 07 06:58 PM
CHP boilers Stephen Barnes UK diy 12 January 25th 07 11:57 AM
10% off all boilers at B&Q . UK diy 9 November 9th 05 02:43 PM
More on boilers Andrew Welham UK diy 4 May 17th 04 08:45 AM