Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Allen Autoscythe

Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cynic" wrote in message
Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

Just got one of these myself but not had a chance yet to strip it down.
Manual, parts and help available from: http://www.villiersparts.co.uk
Contact George.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cynic" wrote in message
Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

Can you use plasticine or blu-tac to make an impression, and then use
callipers to measure and compare with known sizes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Aug, 15:21, "Fredxx" wrote:
"cynic" wrote in message

Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

Can you use plasticine or blu-tac to make an impression, and then use
callipers to measure and compare with known sizes?

Difficult as it is deep down a hole in the casting. I was hoping
someone in the group would have one of these machines and the
appropriate tools and experience so as to give a simple answer. I
suspect the actual tool is going to be a good old fashioned box
spanner. If the nut was accessible I could make one using some steel
tube and forge it round the nut [but it aint:-( ]
I'm off for a trawl round the car boot sales tomorrow.

Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench Lowell Holmes Woodworking 100 December 29th 08 03:07 PM
Allen key andrew heggie UK diy 9 February 4th 08 11:03 AM
A Woody Allen Moment Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 40 January 2nd 08 09:56 PM
Allen Bradley 1305 VFD [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 28th 07 05:01 PM
allen aleen123 Home Repair 5 November 18th 06 12:14 PM