Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Allen Bradley 1305 VFD

I have a 460v 3 ph. 3 hp. Allen Bradley VFD. I would like to apply DC
to the buss from a single phase power supply instead of a rotary
converter. Any problems with this?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 27, 12:27*am, "
wrote:
I have a 460v 3 ph. 3 hp. Allen Bradley VFD. I would like to apply DC
to the buss from a single phase power supply instead of a rotary
converter. Any problems with this?

Maybe you can run the DC bus from an external source, but the control
electronics do not run from the DC bus, they need the AC input to some
transformer for (possibly?) 5 volts, and whatever other voltages are
used to for the logic, and transistor drives.

IOW, I think you ~might~ be able to give it the high voltage 680 volts
DC power, but you might also have to give it the 480 volts AC to drive
the computer and transistor drive/control circuitry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Half-Nutz wrote:
On Dec 27, 12:27 am, "
wrote:

I have a 460v 3 ph. 3 hp. Allen Bradley VFD. I would like to apply DC
to the buss from a single phase power supply instead of a rotary
converter. Any problems with this?

Maybe you can run the DC bus from an external source, but the control
electronics do not run from the DC bus, they need the AC input to some
transformer for (possibly?) 5 volts, and whatever other voltages are
used to for the logic, and transistor drives.

Nope, most of the smaller VFDs use a little DC-DC power supply
that runs off the main rectifier. You can usually tell these
because, when idling and you cut off the mains supply, they
continue to "run", ie. the panel display stays active for many
seconds, then you get an undervoltage display, then it finally
powers down some 15+ seconds after power is removed.

Jon

Rockwell Allen Bradley Programming Software, RSLogix 5, RSLogix 500, RS Linx, RSLogix 5000, version 2007, 1 DVD [email protected] Metalworking 0 July 23rd 07 05:40 PM
Warlow Bradley Radio [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 June 4th 07 08:26 PM
Hex Allen Keys for drills? Stephen Fisher UK diy 12 January 1st 07 08:21 PM
allen aleen123 Home Repair 5 November 18th 06 12:14 PM
Allan Bradley SLC 500 power supply problem Michele Smith Electronics Repair 0 February 12th 05 05:06 AM