DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Allen Autoscythe (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/284692-allen-autoscythe.html)

cynic August 15th 09 11:25 AM

Allen Autoscythe

Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

John Weale August 15th 09 02:26 PM

Allen Autoscythe

"cynic" wrote in message
Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

Just got one of these myself but not had a chance yet to strip it down.
Manual, parts and help available from: http://www.villiersparts.co.uk
Contact George.

Fredxx August 15th 09 03:21 PM

Allen Autoscythe

"cynic" wrote in message
Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

Can you use plasticine or blu-tac to make an impression, and then use
callipers to measure and compare with known sizes?

cynic August 15th 09 08:52 PM

Allen Autoscythe

On 15 Aug, 15:21, "Fredxx" wrote:
"cynic" wrote in message

Does anyone know what size the recessed central nut holding the
flywheel fan casting on the engine of one of these beasties is? I
bought one (non running) for entertainment and repair and need to
strip it but can't find anything in my tools to fit it. I am guessing
it will be either BSW or imperial AF but with a thin wall socket as
there isn't much clearance. Secondly is it left or right hand thread?

John

Can you use plasticine or blu-tac to make an impression, and then use
callipers to measure and compare with known sizes?

Difficult as it is deep down a hole in the casting. I was hoping
someone in the group would have one of these machines and the
appropriate tools and experience so as to give a simple answer. I
suspect the actual tool is going to be a good old fashioned box
spanner. If the nut was accessible I could make one using some steel
tube and forge it round the nut [but it aint:-( ]
I'm off for a trawl round the car boot sales tomorrow.