Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tennis elbow...

Can you get tennis shoulder? I've had a pain in my right shoulder for
months. Only a dull ache at first so I thought it would sort itself. When
it didn't went to the GP - who decided after a very perfunctory
examination to arrange for physio. And of course I'm still waiting for an
appointment.
On Wednesday I was underneath the car removing the exhaust. It's now near
agony than a dull ache and I can barely use the arm. The tender spot is on
the shoulder just underneath the joint. Contacted my GP but can't get an
appointment till next week. I'm having to use the mouse left handed. ;-)
My guess is something to do with a tendon rather than muscle or joint.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Can you get tennis shoulder? I've had a pain in my right shoulder for
months. Only a dull ache at first so I thought it would sort itself. When
it didn't went to the GP - who decided after a very perfunctory
examination to arrange for physio. And of course I'm still waiting for an
appointment.
On Wednesday I was underneath the car removing the exhaust. It's now near
agony than a dull ache and I can barely use the arm. The tender spot is on
the shoulder just underneath the joint. Contacted my GP but can't get an
appointment till next week. I'm having to use the mouse left handed. ;-)
My guess is something to do with a tendon rather than muscle or joint.

Muscles can and do go into painful spasms and press on nerves in the
process. That's the typical 'pain at site, and all down yer arm' syndrome.

A qualified masseur or phsyio is great at getting the knots out, but the
muscles stay tender a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:19:22 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Can you get tennis shoulder? I've had a pain in my right shoulder for
months. Only a dull ache at first so I thought it would sort itself. When
it didn't went to the GP - who decided after a very perfunctory
examination to arrange for physio. And of course I'm still waiting for an
appointment.
On Wednesday I was underneath the car removing the exhaust. It's now near
agony than a dull ache and I can barely use the arm. The tender spot is on
the shoulder just underneath the joint. Contacted my GP but can't get an
appointment till next week. I'm having to use the mouse left handed. ;-)
My guess is something to do with a tendon rather than muscle or joint.

You can get tendonitis wherever a tendon runs through a tendon-sheath
round a bone - which is just about every joint. The usual cause is
repetitive strain. Tendons don't have a blood supply, which is why
they take a long time to get better. I find topical-ibuprofen is the
best non-prescription medicine (Ibuleve or own-brand ibuprofen gel) -
the key is to slather it on over a large area - and then apply heat
with a water bottle or, better still, a microwaved bean-bag. Rest is
also important, but you do have to keep it moving - which is why it's
worst in the morning after being immobile all night.

The only concern that makes a Doctor's visit a good idea is that the
same pain can come from a torn ligament or a fracture. You'll
almost always get sent for an X-Ray, unless your Doc is a 'try this'
merchant... :-(

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 14 Aug, 12:09, Huge wrote:
Rotator cuff tendonitis. It's the shoulder equivalent of tennis elbow. I have
that, too...
(Don't play raquet sports. It isn't worth it.)

I think it's very irresponsible of my doctor to keep telling me to
take more exercise.

Owain

After a 3 month wait I am now getting physio to put right the problems
caused by the exercise prescription from my GP.

Now got an exercise bike and counting calories. Much safer way to go
from obese to correct weight in 6 months. Love swimming but currently
precluded by sacroiliac joint and shoulder problems.

tennis elbow... Colin Wilson UK diy 48 September 6th 09 05:59 AM
tennis ball steady rest - tennis ball.jpg (0/1) mac davis Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 December 4th 07 05:25 AM
tennis ball steady rest - tennis ball.jpg (1/1) mac davis Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 December 2nd 07 05:56 PM
Tennis elbow Eigenvector Home Repair 13 May 6th 07 02:40 AM
TENNIS BALL TREBUCHET J T Woodworking 3 February 26th 05 07:44 PM