Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default tennis elbow...

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:19:22 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Can you get tennis shoulder? I've had a pain in my right shoulder for
months. Only a dull ache at first so I thought it would sort itself. When
it didn't went to the GP - who decided after a very perfunctory
examination to arrange for physio. And of course I'm still waiting for an
appointment.
On Wednesday I was underneath the car removing the exhaust. It's now near
agony than a dull ache and I can barely use the arm. The tender spot is on
the shoulder just underneath the joint. Contacted my GP but can't get an
appointment till next week. I'm having to use the mouse left handed. ;-)
My guess is something to do with a tendon rather than muscle or joint.

You can get tendonitis wherever a tendon runs through a tendon-sheath
round a bone - which is just about every joint. The usual cause is
repetitive strain. Tendons don't have a blood supply, which is why
they take a long time to get better. I find topical-ibuprofen is the
best non-prescription medicine (Ibuleve or own-brand ibuprofen gel) -
the key is to slather it on over a large area - and then apply heat
with a water bottle or, better still, a microwaved bean-bag. Rest is
also important, but you do have to keep it moving - which is why it's
worst in the morning after being immobile all night.

The only concern that makes a Doctor's visit a good idea is that the
same pain can come from a torn ligament or a fracture. You'll
almost always get sent for an X-Ray, unless your Doc is a 'try this'
merchant... :-(

R.