Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint Fridge-freezer fault

My three year-old Hotpoint Fridge freezer Rype FFA 70P has decided not
to chill any more. Nada.

Above the fridge door on the control panel I have a green mains light
showing, plus 2 red alarms: Food Defrost Alert & Freezer High Temp.

On switch-on, after about 30 seconds the motor/compressor can be heard
running, together with some 'flow' noises. However the rear radiator
produces no heat, and the interior is not chilled at all.

I have removed a cover from the freezer section, which exposes a
circulation fan, and a finned evaporator. I can see no PCB, which I
have read about on different models. The only obvious component in
there is a No-frost thermostat that is clipped to the evaporator
tubing. ELTH Type 261F with 2 pairs of wires going to a connector
block. Could this be my fault? I can see no thermistors anywhere.

There appears to be just one motor/compressor for the upper fridge and
the lower freezer. If so, how do they get 2 different temperatures?

I was hoping that this fault was something simple like a compressor
starter relay or a thermostat and relatively cheap to replace.

Any ideas from a fridge expert here? If so, an online source for the
replacement part would be appreciated.

DJ