Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint Fridge-freezer fault

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:27:37 +0100, David J wrote:

Oh dear.. that sounds expensive.. How do they find a leak? Presumably
it's a pinhole somewhere in the piping? I can see a blue 'copper
sulphate' stain on one joint - could that be it?

Might be, don't know if they put the dye into fridges. Leaks are
rare, brased joints and lack of vibration (compared to a car with
demountable joints and lots of vibration) so probably not. If there
is no chance of that joint getting contamination from somewhere else
it puts the odds up that that is the leak.

Also, would a leak leave a stain on the floor - or simply evaporate?

The refrigerant is a gas at normal temps/pressures. There could be
trace of lubricant/dye.

It was actually supplied by B&Q as a part of a new kitchen, so are they
my first port of call?

That is who you have the contract of sale with, so yes. I'd expect
them to bump you across to Hotpoint though. Have a look on the B&Q
website?

There appears to be just one motor/compressor for the upper

fridge and
the lower freezer. If so, how do they get 2 different

temperatures?

They rely on the fridge being opened/heat gain and that calling

for
coldth, the freezer part is cooled as part of the process

hopefully
to low enough temperatures. This is why a fridge/freezer in a

place
outside it's design temperature range, say a garage might let the
freezer get to warm because the fridge part doesn't gain enough

heat
to trigger the heat pump.

Very poor design - even misleading by the manufacturer!

All fridges, freezers, fridge/freezers etc have a "Class" normally a
letter or combination. It is this that determines the environmental
operating temperature range. I would say it is up to the buyer to
tell the seller where they want to use the device and the seller to
sell them one of suitable class. Unfortunately I doubt many of the
droids in the white goods box shifter places are aware of the various
classes, "It's a 'fridge innit".

Funny thing - if I have a car problem and post to a forum, I will get
dozens of replies, and spare parts are available easily. White goods
- quite the opposite!

This isn't a "forum" it is usenet... I find the opposite, finding
(used) car parts online almost
impossible

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/module...a=showpage&pid
=182

Is a page about refrigeration from a a very good web forum site.

--
Cheers
Dave.