Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default butt marker for door hinges

Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd150/p34766

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 July, 17:21, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...ools/Butt+Mark...

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Bending, while holding a mirror, or bending accompanied by a very
close friend ;o)
*Gets coat*.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd150/p34766

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

At a guess, press the lugs on the handle side of the butt marker up against
the edge of the door where the hinge is to fit, and hit the writing side
with a hammer until the cutting edges sink in fully, then remove the marked
wood area with a sharp chisel, starting from where the lugs butted.

--
To help compile the Open Street Map, or if you just want to use copyright
free maps of the UK, or anywhere else in the world, visit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message
"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd150/p34766

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

At a guess, press the lugs on the handle side of the butt marker up
against the edge of the door where the hinge is to fit, and hit the
writing side with a hammer until the cutting edges sink in fully, then
remove the marked wood area with a sharp chisel, starting from where the
lugs butted.

Just noticed the depth scriber on the back of the handle, so turn over the
handle, and use the depth scriber to set the depth of the cut, again just a
guess, but perhaps you could have a play on a piece of scrap wood.

--
To help compile the Open Street Map, or if you just want to use copyright
free maps of the UK, or anywhere else in the world, visit
http://www.OpenStreetMap.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yup - looks like you bang it with a hammer. Whilst it probably is some
help, the best trick to speed setting hinges (IME) is a router with
fence and a large diameter bit to quickly skim out most of the hinge
recess, and finish up to the marked out area with a hand chisel.
Personally I use rounded profile hinges so I can skim out exactly the
required shape.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd150/p34766

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Open lid of bin, throw butt marker in, close lid of bin.

Biggest heap of ****e I've ever bought.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Fred wrote:
Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...s/Butt+Marker+
3/d10/sd150/p34766

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Open lid of bin, throw butt marker in, close lid of bin.

Biggest heap of ****e I've ever bought.

Too true. I was suckered into buying a 'Hinge-pro' tool -
http://www.hingepro.com/instructions.php

What a load of expensive rubbish.
There is a reason why chisels are still being sold pretty much unchanged
for the last 100 years.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave, if you're doing a lot of hinges, you might like to look at
these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48518/...Hand-Pack-of-2

25mm diameter router bit, clamp-stops to the left and right, along
with the fence to set the centering (or a home-made jig to do the lot)
- and you really can cut perfectly consistent hinges in seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

'Hinge-pro' tool

Nasty, splintery mess?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Fred
saying something like:

Toolstation are selling butt markers:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd150/p34766

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Face away from the mirror and bend over. Apply marker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Fred wrote:
Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand...0/sd150/p34766

I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me
in the right direction?

Open lid of bin, throw butt marker in, close lid of bin.

Biggest heap of ****e I've ever bought.

So the butt marker was a pain in the arse...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker wrote:

'Hinge-pro' tool

Nasty, splintery mess?

No, just wouldnt cut as expected, needed a very heavy hammer hit to even
get through the cheap door outer skin, pretty impossible to keep
straight when hacking out. Just nowhere near as easy to use as in the
demo vid. But, on viewing the demo vid, it shows a REALLY soft piece of
pine being cut into. Real world doors are far harder, especially the
cheap grain effect doors that my customers like.

The idea is good, but the implementation is poor.
A complete waste of time and money for me.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RubberBiker wrote:
Dave, if you're doing a lot of hinges, you might like to look at
these:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48518/...Hand-Pack-of-2

25mm diameter router bit, clamp-stops to the left and right, along
with the fence to set the centering (or a home-made jig to do the lot)
- and you really can cut perfectly consistent hinges in seconds.

I don't do many doors TBH, no money in it, but they do look good. Bit pricy
though, most of my punters only want to pay twice that for the piggin door
:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Rising-butt hinges -- where to buy? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 9 May 29th 15 04:50 PM
Door hinges Mogga UK diy 3 July 30th 07 04:01 PM
Yes, butt. No, butt. Inside/Outside toilet?! [email protected] UK diy 0 November 8th 06 12:19 AM
2 door hinges for weight internal door? LLim UK diy 0 January 6th 04 10:23 PM
Door Hinges Jig Michael McNeil UK diy 4 July 7th 03 06:33 AM