Michael McNeil

Default Door Hinges Jig

I made myself a routing jig for hinging doors today out of a piece of
architrave. It works OK for the doors themselves but of course I can't
get the full cut out of the door frames with it because of the rebate.

The only thing I can think of it to build another jig to do the frames
but this means carrying two jigs, resetting the router and the
possibility of mismatching cuts.

Any suggestions?

Buying the Trend jig is not on because of the need to have the hinges
set at the distances specified by the owner, which will vary from job
to job. Besides, the latest ones are (or were last time I looked) £70
for a four hole jig and £40 for a three.
Andy Milner

Snap

I made my self one works great on new doors and frames but no good for
frames with door stop and architrave fitted I think you might need two jigs
let us know how you get on

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
om...
I made myself a routing jig for hinging doors today out of a piece of
architrave. It works OK for the doors themselves but of course I can't
get the full cut out of the door frames with it because of the rebate.

The only thing I can think of it to build another jig to do the frames
but this means carrying two jigs, resetting the router and the
possibility of mismatching cuts.

Any suggestions?

Buying the Trend jig is not on because of the need to have the hinges
set at the distances specified by the owner, which will vary from job
to job. Besides, the latest ones are (or were last time I looked) £70
for a four hole jig and £40 for a three.

jacob

Easier to do it by hand with a bit of practice. You need a sliding
bevel. sharp knife or scribing point , marking guage, sharp chisel or
two, mallet.
If you try to use a router then you end up fiddling with jigs etc and
needing different ones for different jobs, not to mention the noise,
dust, general inconvenience, why bother it's no quicker, though
perhaps it could be in a production set up for long runs.

cheers

Jacob
Michael McNeil

"Andy Milner" wrote in message ...
Snap

I made my self one works great on new doors and frames but no good for
frames with door stop and architrave fitted I think you might need two jigs
let us know how you get on

Looks like a compromise between the router and chizel is on. There is
some variety in the widths of the door frames anyway so no real saving
with a jig.