Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT cleaning cine film?

I managed to rescue a lot of cine footage from a house clearance. One film
title caught my eye 'Racing at Snetterton', there turned out to be several
cine films of late 1950's to mid 1960's motor racing events taken in East
Anglia.....Problem is that the films have been stored where damp and dust
have taken their tole.
Any of you wizzes out there know the correct way to clean cine footage
without removing the image.

ttfn.....Alistair

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 28 July, 14:36, "Alistair Ross" wrote:
I managed to rescue a lot of cine footage from a house clearance. One film
title caught my eye 'Racing at Snetterton', there turned out to be several
cine films of late 1950's to mid 1960's motor racing events taken in East
Anglia.....Problem is that the films have been stored where damp and dust
have taken their tole.
Any of you wizzes out there know the correct way to clean cine footage
without removing the image.

Compressed air.

You can swab with IPA (carefully, trial area first) but if dirt
accumulates on the swab it will scratch the film.

If it's mildew-y be careful about removing the mildew as the mildew
eats the emulsion.

This site has suggestions
http://www.film-center.com/clean.html

You can get Fotospeed FC50 film cleaner here
http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product....asp?PrGrp=159

Owain

I have successfully *washed* 34mm and 120 negative film.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
snip

I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.

And what happened? It shrank ;-)

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
snip

I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.

And what happened? It shrank ;-)

No. remember that films are processed in water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alistair Ross has brought this to us :
I managed to rescue a lot of cine footage from a house clearance. One film
title caught my eye 'Racing at Snetterton', there turned out to be several
cine films of late 1950's to mid 1960's motor racing events taken in East
Anglia.....Problem is that the films have been stored where damp and dust
have taken their tole.
Any of you wizzes out there know the correct way to clean cine footage
without removing the image.

Might be worth contacting a museum, BBC or similar - it might have some
historical value.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin Poole" wrote in message

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
snip

I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.

And what happened? It shrank ;-)

Then try it in an 8mm projector :-)

--
To help compile the Open Street Map, or if you just want to use copyright
free maps of the UK, or anywhere else in the world, visit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:36:47 +0100, Alistair Ross wrote:

Any of you wizzes out there know the correct way to clean cine footage
without removing the image.

I'll second handing them to a museum or possibly better the National
Film Archive. The latter will at least have the facilities to store
them without further degradation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
snip

I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.

And what happened? It shrank ;-)

No. remember that films are processed in water.

So that'll be "whooooosh", then.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:36:47 +0100, Alistair Ross wrote:

Any of you wizzes out there know the correct way to clean cine footage
without removing the image.

I'll second handing them to a museum or possibly better the National
Film Archive. The latter will at least have the facilities to store
them without further degradation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

If we use DVD why is it still called "Footage"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 28 July, 18:16, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Kevin Poole wrote:
I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.
And what happened? It shrank ;-)

No. remember that films are processed in water.

Didn't it start out as 35mm film though?

No, it started out as a mistype, which to my chagrin, I missed till now..;-)

Getting old. Humour points to Kevin..
Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:
I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.
And what happened? It shrank ;-)
No. remember that films are processed in water.

Didn't it start out as 35mm film though?

No, it started out as a mistype, which to my chagrin, I missed till
now..;-)

Getting old. Humour points to Kevin..
Owain

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Rain water is cold.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:
I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.
And what happened? It shrank ;-)
No. remember that films are processed in water.

Didn't it start out as 35mm film though?

No, it started out as a mistype, which to my chagrin, I missed till
now..;-)

Getting old. Humour points to Kevin..
Owain

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

They do.

Or lanolin.
Whatever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:
I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.
And what happened? It shrank ;-)
No. remember that films are processed in water.

Didn't it start out as 35mm film though?

No, it started out as a mistype, which to my chagrin, I missed till
now..;-)

Getting old. Humour points to Kevin..
Owain

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Since wool can absorb 40% of its own weight in water, they should expand...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:36:47 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Alistair Ross"
wrote:

I managed to rescue a lot of cine footage from a house clearance. One film
title caught my eye 'Racing at Snetterton', there turned out to be several
cine films of late 1950's to mid 1960's motor racing events taken in East
Anglia.....Problem is that the films have been stored where damp and dust
have taken their tole.
Any of you wizzes out there know the correct way to clean cine footage
without removing the image.

Before you touch it take a look at the demo video from these
professionals http://videostation.co.uk/

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin Poole wrote:
I have successfully *washed* 34mm film.
And what happened? It shrank ;-)
No. remember that films are processed in water.
Didn't it start out as 35mm film though?

No, it started out as a mistype, which to my chagrin, I missed till
now..;-)

Getting old. Humour points to Kevin..
Owain

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Since wool can absorb 40% of its own weight in water, they should expand...

Tampax for Elephants....

--
Cheers,

John.