Mick Cant

Default Super 8 cine film to DVD

Hi all,

I have a collection of super 8 cine films (old family type)

That I would like to be able to put on DVD.

What I do not know where to get done is, recording from the film into
digital.

I do not have a video camera of any sort.

What I would like is to find a firm that would do the transferring then for
me to edit and record to DVD.

Any idea was to start?

Michael Cant

Mark A

Mick Cant wrote:

Any idea was to start?

Yellow pages. Not that cheap mind, and not that great in terms of
quality either.

Regards

Mark
Tony Bryer

In article , Mick Cant wrote:
What I would like is to find a firm that would do the transferring then for
me to edit and record to DVD.

As ever Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Su...video+transfer

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

Tim Mitchell

In article , Tony Bryer
writes
In article , Mick Cant wrote:
What I would like is to find a firm that would do the transferring then for
me to edit and record to DVD.

As ever Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Su...video+transfer

If you are looking for somewhere local, Jessops and many other photo
processing shops offer this service.
--
Tim Mitchell
Doctor Evil

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , Tony Bryer
writes
In article , Mick Cant wrote:
What I would like is to find a firm that would do the transferring then

for
me to edit and record to DVD.

As ever Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Su...video+transfer

If you are looking for somewhere local, Jessops and many other photo
processing shops offer this service.

Make sure they use a flying spot scanner to take the image from the film.
The best I believe.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Tim Mitchell

In article , Doctor Evil
writes

In article , Mick Cant wrote:
What I would like is to find a firm that would do the transferring then

for
me to edit and record to DVD.

As ever Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Su...video+transfer

If you are looking for somewhere local, Jessops and many other photo
processing shops offer this service.

Make sure they use a flying spot scanner to take the image from the film.
The best I believe.

That would be far too expensive and not necessary for home 8mm movie
which does not have great quality in the first place. In any case, I
doubt you'd find anyone to do it that way.

Broadcasters use them in their telecine machines for 16mm and sometimes
have 8mm gates available, if you have a friend in TV engineering you
might get it done...
--
Tim Mitchell
Doctor Evil

In article , Mick Cant wrote:
What I would like is to find a firm that would do the transferring

then
for
me to edit and record to DVD.

As ever Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Su...video+transfer

If you are looking for somewhere local, Jessops and many other photo
processing shops offer this service.

Make sure they use a flying spot
scanner to take the image from the film.
The best I believe.

That would be far too expensive and
not necessary for home 8mm movie
which does not have great quality in
the first place.

Super 8 film has "very" good resolution, and when flying spotted and put on
DVD should be pristine.

In any case, I
doubt you'd find anyone to do it that way.

I'm sure you can, I had flying spot transfer from Super 8 to video about 15
years ago from a place in Soho. The audio visual mags would advertise the
service.

Broadcasters use them in their telecine
machines for 16mm and sometimes
have 8mm gates available, if you have
a friend in TV engineering you
might get it done...

Or,just look around. Do a google on "flying spot scanner" and "super 8" and
lots comes up.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
:::Jerry::::

wrote:
What I would like is to find a firm that would do the

transferring
then
for
me to edit and record to DVD.

As ever Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Su...video+transfer

If you are looking for somewhere local, Jessops and many other

photo
processing shops offer this service.

Make sure they use a flying spot
scanner to take the image from the film.
The best I believe.

That would be far too expensive and
not necessary for home 8mm movie
which does not have great quality in
the first place.

Super 8 film has "very" good resolution, and when flying spotted and

put on
DVD should be pristine.

And pig fly....

In any case, I
doubt you'd find anyone to do it that way.

I'm sure you can, I had flying spot transfer from Super 8 to video

about 15
years ago from a place in Soho. The audio visual mags would

advertise the
service.

Soho, sounds like the film and broadcast industry quarter, unless it
was one of your dodge films you were having transferred !

Broadcasters use them in their telecine
machines for 16mm and sometimes
have 8mm gates available, if you have
a friend in TV engineering you
might get it done...

Or,just look around. Do a google on "flying spot scanner" and

"super 8" and
lots comes up.

The biggest problem is nothing to do with resolution but fps speed,
standard / super 8 home cine film does not have a 'kind' fps rate that
allows easy transfer to a PAL video system, un-like 35mm 16mm film -
this is why many transfers suffer from frame flicker.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Super 8 film has "very" good resolution, and when flying spotted and put
on DVD should be pristine.

What a ******. Stick to quoting websites.

Hint. 16mm film struggles to make decent TV resolution.

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

news.net...

wrote:
What I would like is to find a firm that would do the

transferring
then
for
me to edit and record to DVD.

As ever Google is your friend

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Su...video+transfer

If you are looking for somewhere local, Jessops and many other

photo
processing shops offer this service.

Make sure they use a flying spot
scanner to take the image from the film.
The best I believe.

That would be far too expensive and
not necessary for home 8mm movie
which does not have great quality in
the first place.

Super 8 film has "very" good resolution, and when flying spotted and

put on
DVD should be pristine.

And pig fly....

snip the rest as you clearly have not a clue.

A friend worked for the BBC, and others, as a cameraman, and would
occassionally use Super 8 for broadcast work.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Doctor Evil

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:

Super 8 film has "very" good resolution,
and when flying spotted and put
on DVD should be pristine.

.....the cabering is too much so he decides to think at bit...wait for
it.....

What a ******.

......I snipped the rest as it was totally inaccurate..........and he is into
the Micheal Jackson sort of things it appears.......cabers is his speciality
you know.....

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
news.net...

The biggest problem is nothing to do with resolution but fps speed,
standard / super 8 home cine film does not have a 'kind' fps rate that
allows easy transfer to a PAL video system, un-like 35mm 16mm film -
this is why many transfers suffer from frame flicker.

Flying spot scanning gets rid of flicker

Super-8 is still better quality than video. Much as people in the
professional video industry try to deny this, super-8 (when shot and
projected with decent lenses) has about 1000 lines of resolution, compared
with about 300 from your average 8mm video camera or about 450 for a
broadcast-standard 1" C-type machine.

When flying spot scanned to DVD the quality is bang on. If you want cheap
quality, go to Ebay and buy a top quality second hand Super 8 camera, with
some having microprocessor control. Most are like new and over 20 years
old. The film and processing is expensive, but the quality is the business,
even when scanned onto videotape or onto DVD. If you only use you camera
for special occasions then Super * is the way to go, cheap to buy the
equipment. Many small TV stations in the US used Super 8 for film reports
and transferred onto video for broadcast, the quality was that good.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Stuart Noble

If you are looking for somewhere local, Jessops and many other photo
processing shops offer this service.

Jessops were the cheapest when I was shopping around. IIRC they job it out
to Kodak, who job it out to someone else. They charge per reel so it pays
splice the tapes together if there are a lot of odd bits.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
A friend worked for the BBC, and others, as a cameraman, and would
occassionally use Super 8 for broadcast work.

That would be the same as all your 'trades' friends using PPPro tools?

In the days before domestic electronic cameras were available - and really
before colour - 35mm B&W film was the norm for quality stuff made for TV.
News, etc, used 16 mm.

With the advent of colour, colour 35mm stock was deemed just to expensive
for most in the UK - although the US continued to use it. So 16 mm became
the norm - later super 16mm which got a larger image onto the same sized
film. However, as electronic cameras and recording systems became better,
the use of film of any type has decreased.

*If* 8mm was ever used, it would have been for something where a small -
or likely disposable - camera was *essential* as the quality can't and
never did - meet the specs required *by law* then for broadcasting
equipment.

Stick to talking rubbish about multiple combis and sink top electric water
heaters.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
The biggest problem is nothing to do with resolution but fps speed,
standard / super 8 home cine film does not have a 'kind' fps rate that
allows easy transfer to a PAL video system, un-like 35mm 16mm film -
this is why many transfers suffer from frame flicker.

Flying spot scanning gets rid of flicker

No it doesn't. Film - and many other video processes - are a series of
single frames projected in succession to give the impression of movement.
And it's generally accepted that about 25 fps is the minimum for decent
results. Of course if you're transferring a film of a static object with a
static camera, then the type of telecine machine makes a difference. But
only vast computer processing could attempt to fill in the missing detail
between adjacent frames with movement in them.

Super-8 is still better quality than video. Much as people in the
professional video industry try to deny this, super-8 (when shot and
projected with decent lenses) has about 1000 lines of resolution,
compared with about 300 from your average 8mm video camera or about 450
for a broadcast-standard 1" C-type machine.

Err, which ancient website did you get this from? C format machines were
obsolescent about 20 years ago when component recording became the norm.

When flying spot scanned to DVD the quality is bang on. If you want
cheap quality, go to Ebay and buy a top quality second hand Super 8
camera, with some having microprocessor control. Most are like new and
over 20 years old. The film and processing is expensive, but the
quality is the business, even when scanned onto videotape or onto DVD.
If you only use you camera for special occasions then Super * is the way
to go, cheap to buy the equipment. Many small TV stations in the US
used Super 8 for film reports and transferred onto video for broadcast,
the quality was that good.

I take it you're blind? This would explain a lot...

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:

A friend worked for the BBC, and others,
as a cameraman, and would
occassionally use Super 8 for broadcast work.

.....from cabering he now thinks about photies...........maybe he wants to
record for posterity the cabers in full colour glory....he says.....

That would be the same as

.....I have to snip for you all.......nothing was the same.... and he got
absolutly nothing right......sad but true........this is what cabers does to
you....

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
A friend worked for the BBC, and others,
as a cameraman, and would
occassionally use Super 8 for broadcast work.

....from cabering he now thinks about photies...........maybe he wants
to record for posterity the cabers in full colour glory....he says.....

That would be the same as

....I have to snip for you all.......nothing was the same.... and he got
absolutly nothing right......sad but true........this is what cabers
does to you....

My dear little friend, I'm a pro working in broadcasting, and have all my
life. I'll send you a CV if you want. But I'd need one from you first...

Perhaps you'd ask your cameraman pal what programmes he made shot on Super
8mm film. Then everyone else can judge if your point is valid.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:

A friend worked for the BBC, and others,
as a cameraman, and would
occassionally use Super 8 for broadcast work.

....from cabering he now thinks about
photies...........maybe he wants
to record for posterity the cabers in full
colour glory....he says.....

That would be the same as

....I have to snip for you all.......nothing was
the same.... and he got absolutly nothing
right......sad but true........this is what cabers
does to you....

....he retorts......yes he does.....

My dear little friend, I'm a pro
working in broadcasting,

.....as wea ll know, cabers are not on the telly....he goes on....

and have all my life. I'll send you a
CV if you want.

......yes he has a cabers CV...its says thing like know all about
cabers....on he goes....

But I'd need one from you first...

.....now he wants cabers from me....yes he does....he spurts away....

Perhaps you'd ask your cameraman
pal what programmes he made shot
on Super 8mm film.

........he fails to see that news work is different and that Beulieu made
professional super 8s, which is still used.....although not with cabers....

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Perhaps you'd ask your cameraman
pal what programmes he made shot
on Super 8mm film.

.......he fails to see that news work is different and that Beulieu made
professional super 8s, which is still used.....although not with
cabers....

So that's a no, then?

Many would find it strange when asked to supply proof for your wilder
claims you never can or do.

Others know you for the charlatan you are.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:

Perhaps you'd ask your cameraman
pal what programmes he made shot
on Super 8mm film.

.......he fails to see that news work is
different and that Beulieu made
professional super 8s, which is still
used.....although not with cabers....

..........now having been educated...is it possible to educate caber
fanatics?

So that's a no, then?

......yes he say no.....a form no.....he stomps his foot snd says no.....no,
no, no he says......

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
.......he fails to see that news work is different and that Beulieu
made professional super 8s, which is still used.....although not
with cabers....

.........now having been educated...is it possible to educate caber
fanatics?

So that's a no, then?

.....yes he say no.....a form no.....he stomps his foot snd says
no.....no, no, no he says......

Still you prevaricate.

Film - of any sort - hasn't been routinely used for news in this country
for two decades and more.

It has the considerable disadvantage that it can't be sent immediately up
a link back to the studio. It has to be processed. And 8mm film - even the
striped variety - has the most applying sound that even an Arab war lord
in the middle of a desert would be ashamed of.

But carry on digging.

Professional 8mm? You're having a laugh. But then you have no idea what a
professional is.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:

.......he fails to see that news work
is different and that Beulieu
made professional super 8s, which
is still used.....although not
with cabers....

.........now having been educated...is it
possible to educate caber fanatics?

So that's a no, then?

.....yes he say no.....a firm no.....he
stomps his foot snd says
no.....no, no, no he says......

....again he enter the ring...what do we see?.....

Still you prevaricate.

Film - of any sort - hasn't been routinely used
for news in this country
for two decades and more.

....he observes photo stuff...are the cabers to be photoed for
posterity?....we shall see.

It has the considerable disadvantage
that it can't be sent immediately up
a link back to the studio. It has to be
processed.

.....10/10...film has to be processed....jolly good...alongside the cabers no
doubt...

And 8mm film - even the
striped variety - has the most applying
sound that even an Arab war lord
in the middle of a desert would be ashamed of.

....he tries hard...but fails to realise striped sound Super 8 is no longer
available...the cabers do this to people you know....he goes on...

But carry on digging.

....he digs for cabers?...are they buried?....he spurts away.....

Professional 8mm? You're having a laugh.
But then you have no idea what a
professional is.

...............his mind is confused with cabers and how they should be
stacked in the living room, not knowing about Pro Super 8
http://tinyurl.com/6qwvw Sad but true..............

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:

..............his mind is confused with cabers and how they should be
stacked in the living room, not knowing about Pro Super 8
http://tinyurl.com/6qwvw Sad but true..............

Well, all it confirms is that you believe anything you see on a website.
And anything labelled 'pro'.
What a sad little ******.

Watch my lips. They're not used for mainstream TV. And never will be.

If you disagree, I'll ask you once again to say which programmes are shot
on this format?
No?
Well, for once in your life just shut up and leave things to those who
really do know.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
:::Jerry::::

Doctor Evil wrote:

..............his mind is confused with cabers and how they should

be
stacked in the living room, not knowing about Pro Super 8
http://tinyurl.com/6qwvw Sad but true..............

Well, all it confirms is that you believe anything you see on a

website.
And anything labelled 'pro'.
What a sad little ******.

Watch my lips. They're not used for mainstream TV. And never will

be.

If you disagree, I'll ask you once again to say which programmes are

shot
on this format?
No?
Well, for once in your life just shut up and leave things to those

who
really do know.

Come on Dave, we all know that programmes like The Bill are made on
Super 8, how else do they get the camera into all those tight
locations ?...

Just think of the savings that could be made, rather than spending
100,000 GBP plus per cameras unit they could spend 50 quid down the
local flea market, perhaps Dr Drivel should write in and suggest it -
well, everyone needs a laugh now and then, even producers ! :~)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Come on Dave, we all know that programmes like The Bill are made on
Super 8, how else do they get the camera into all those tight
locations ?...

;-)

Just think of the savings that could be made, rather than spending
100,000 GBP plus per cameras unit they could spend 50 quid down the
local flea market, perhaps Dr Drivel should write in and suggest it -
well, everyone needs a laugh now and then, even producers ! :~)

One new executive did indeed think this - and had an episode shot on
PD150s.

It was rejected by the network on picture quality grounds - and that was
after a vast amount of post production to try and sort it out. Including
post syncing most of the sound. ;-)

He's not around anymore. ;-)

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

:::Jerry::::

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
snip

One new executive did indeed think this - and had an episode shot

on
PD150s.

It was rejected by the network on picture quality grounds - and

that was
after a vast amount of post production to try and sort it out.

Including
post syncing most of the sound. ;-)

He's not around anymore. ;-)

Looks like he might be on Ground Force etc. now... :~(

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
One new executive did indeed think this - and had an episode shot on
PD150s.

It was rejected by the network on picture quality grounds - and that
was after a vast amount of post production to try and sort it out.
Including post syncing most of the sound. ;-)

He's not around anymore. ;-)

Looks like he might be on Ground Force etc. now... :~(

They can give reasonable results in good light - like outdoors. When
properly set up, which is rare, given non skilled personnel often operate
them.

But for location drama? Forget it.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:

..............his mind is confused with
cabers and how they should be
stacked in the living room, not
knowing about Pro Super 8
http://tinyurl.com/6qwvw Sad but true..............

....his piccies are on his mind...the colour tiones of the cabers are a
worry...he rants....

Well, all it confirms is that you believe
anything you see on a website.
And anything labelled 'pro'.
What a sad little ******.

.........he is on about wanking again....he muist do this when seeing his
cabers in full colour....shame I actually owned this exact camera model. A
pro model using a Nagra tape recorer for a sound....but I never took any
piccies of cabers.....he now is on about his lips....

Watch my lips. They're not used for
mainstream TV. And never will be.

.............his memory is distrorted by memories of cabers....I told him
that they "were" used for news....this did not sink in...maybe one of the
cabers hit him on the bonce....

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
A friend worked for the BBC, and others,
as a cameraman, and would
occassionally use Super 8 for broadcast work.

....from cabering he now thinks about photies...........maybe he wants
to record for posterity the cabers in full colour glory....he says.....

That would be the same as

....I have to snip for you all.......nothing was the same.... and he got
absolutly nothing right......sad but true........this is what cabers
does to you....

My dear little friend, I'm a pro working in broadcasting, and have all my
life. I'll send you a CV if you want. But I'd need one from you first...

Perhaps you'd ask your cameraman pal what programmes he made shot on Super
8mm film. Then everyone else can judge if your point is valid.

Captain Pugwash ?

dIMM had a cameo role as Master Bates

--
geoff
raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
enews.net...

The biggest problem is nothing to do with resolution but fps speed,
standard / super 8 home cine film does not have a 'kind' fps rate that
allows easy transfer to a PAL video system, un-like 35mm 16mm film -
this is why many transfers suffer from frame flicker.

Flying spot scanning gets rid of flicker

Super-8 is still better quality than video. Much as people in the
professional video industry try to deny this,

Does this give you a clue ?

obviously not ..

--
geoff

raden

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
When flying spot scanned to DVD the quality is bang on. If you want
cheap quality, go to Ebay and buy a top quality second hand Super 8
camera, with some having microprocessor control. Most are like new and
over 20 years old. The film and processing is expensive, but the
quality is the business, even when scanned onto videotape or onto DVD.
If you only use you camera for special occasions then Super * is the way
to go, cheap to buy the equipment. Many small TV stations in the US
used Super 8 for film reports and transferred onto video for broadcast,
the quality was that good.

I take it you're blind? This would explain a lot...

What do you expect with so much self gratification ?

--
geoff
raden

In message , Doctor Evil
writes

Doctor Evil wrote:

Super 8 film has "very" good resolution,
and when flying spotted and put
on DVD should be pristine.

....the cabering is too much so he decides to think at bit...wait for
it.....

What a ******.

.....I snipped the rest as it was totally inaccurate

So that bit is totally accurate then ...

We'd already come to that conclusion

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil wrote:
[...]

Maxie, Dim Lin, the Oriental enchantress, was a star in moving pictures? Yu
must feel so proud.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Evil
writes

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message
enews.net...

The biggest problem is nothing to do with resolution but fps speed,
standard / super 8 home cine film does not have a 'kind' fps rate that
allows easy transfer to a PAL video system, un-like 35mm 16mm film -
this is why many transfers suffer from frame flicker.

Flying spot scanning gets rid of flicker

Super-8 is still better quality than video. Much as people in the
professional video industry try to deny this,

Does this give you a clue ?

Oh Maxie, I like quizzes.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
When flying spot scanned to DVD the quality is bang on. If you want
cheap quality, go to Ebay and buy a top quality second hand Super 8
camera, with some having microprocessor control. Most are like new and
over 20 years old. The film and processing is expensive, but the
quality is the business, even when scanned onto videotape or onto DVD.
If you only use you camera for special occasions then Super * is the

way
to go, cheap to buy the equipment. Many small TV stations in the US
used Super 8 for film reports and transferred onto video for broadcast,
the quality was that good.

I take it you're blind? This would explain a lot...

What do you expect with so much self gratification ?

Maxie, how is the ball gown? Does it fit well?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Andy Hall

Doctor Evil wrote:
A friend worked for the BBC, and others,
as a cameraman, and would
occassionally use Super 8 for broadcast work.

....from cabering he now thinks about photies...........maybe he wants
to record for posterity the cabers in full colour glory....he says.....

That would be the same as

....I have to snip for you all.......nothing was the same.... and he got
absolutly nothing right......sad but true........this is what cabers
does to you....

My dear little friend, I'm a pro working in broadcasting, and have all my
life. I'll send you a CV if you want. But I'd need one from you first...

Perhaps you'd ask your cameraman pal what programmes he made shot on Super
8mm film. Then everyone else can judge if your point is valid.

Captain Pugwash ?

dIMM had a cameo role as Master Bates

I thought it was Roger the cabin boy.......

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Evil wrote:
Watch my lips. They're not used for
mainstream TV. And never will be.

............his memory is distrorted by memories of cabers....I told him
that they "were" used for news....this did not sink in...maybe one of the
cabers hit him on the bonce....

Many things 'were' once used. And for news inserts, of course, amateur
shot material was used - as it is today, if nothing better is available.

However as usual you've changed your tune. You insinuated it was capable
of meeting broadcast specs.

Watch my lips. It never was and never will be.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Perhaps you'd ask your cameraman pal what programmes he made shot on
Super 8mm film. Then everyone else can judge if your point is valid.

Captain Pugwash ?

Heh heh - that was actually made in a normal studio using electronic
cameras pointed at caption stands. With Wurmser making the semi-animated
captions. A lost art these days of computer animation.

And very boring for the sound crew as the sound track was pre-recorded.

dIMM had a cameo role as Master Bates

Which later became Seaman Stains. If he's actually old enough.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
raden wrote:
Super-8 is still better quality than video. Much as people in the
professional video industry try to deny this,

Does this give you a clue ?

Given that TV is run these days by profit motivation and little else, the
fact that a super 8 camera costs a fraction of a broadcast electronic
cameras and recorder should be enough of a clue for even someone as thick
as IMM.

--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

Dave Plowman London SW

[...]