Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CD Player (earlier thread)

Thanks to your encouragement - I bought a new laser pickup off e-bay. Fitted
it today (10 mins and only one screw left over) and it works fine - it even
now plays CDs made on the PC which it never managed previously.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:05:56 UTC, "John"
wrote:

Thanks to your encouragement - I bought a new laser pickup off e-bay. Fitted
it today (10 mins and only one screw left over) and it works fine - it even
now plays CDs made on the PC which it never managed previously.

Glad to hear it....another DIY success!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks to your encouragement - I bought a new laser pickup off e-bay.
Fitted
it today (10 mins and only one screw left over) and it works fine - it
even
now plays CDs made on the PC which it never managed previously.

Glad to hear it....another DIY success!

http://www.diybanter.com

I spoke too soon. Worked well - skipped a couple of times so I thought I
would slacken off the spring anti-backlash device on the rack. Re-assembled
it - and it buzzed a bit - smell of something hot and it was dead. I suspect
the drawer motor may have been near the end of its travel and it overloaded
something. Tape decks dead and light on volume knob is dead. Tuner works!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks to your encouragement - I bought a new laser pickup off e-bay.
Fitted
it today (10 mins and only one screw left over) and it works fine - it
even
now plays CDs made on the PC which it never managed previously.

Glad to hear it....another DIY success!

http://www.diybanter.com

I spoke too soon. Worked well - skipped a couple of times so I thought I
would slacken off the spring anti-backlash device on the rack.
Re-assembled it - and it buzzed a bit - smell of something hot and it was
dead. I suspect the drawer motor may have been near the end of its travel
and it overloaded something. Tape decks dead and light on volume knob is
dead. Tuner works!

Gone to the wheelie bin - farewell old friend. I used to think that making
compilation Cassette tapes from CDs was amazing.

I think the problem was due to the flexible ribbon circuit connection
causing a short due to being pushed in at a slight angle