Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Wish I'd thought of that earlier!

Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was getting
fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn sight
quicker than '2'

The project progresses

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Sep, 15:21, "OG" wrote:
Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was getting
fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' *failed

This afternoon discovered *that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn sight
quicker than '2'

The project progresses

Shortly got similar project coming up, thanks for the tip.

Though surely you would have followed standard uk.diy advice and tried
an angle grinder first ;-)

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:21:21 +0100, "OG"
wrote:

Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was getting
fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn sight
quicker than '2'

The project progresses

Or an angle grinder used to do the same if u don't mind the sparks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

wrote:

Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was
getting
fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn
sight
quicker than '2'

The project progresses

Or an angle grinder used to do the same if u don't mind the sparks.

I used to have an angle grinder as part of a cordless drill, driver, saw,
sander combo - worked fine until a couple of the recharegable cells turned
to mush. I can't get an exact match replacement set, but I have considered
buying a 'close match' and bodging the new cells into the old cell holder.

However, in this instance a cold chisel is a lot quicker, and quite a bit
more satisfying too!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:

Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was
getting fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn
sight quicker than '2'

I assume you don't want to rebuild it elsewhere? g
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
OG wrote:

Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was
getting fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn
sight quicker than '2'

I assume you don't want to rebuild it elsewhere? g

The bolts go through holes in the panels, so I'm just breaking the nuts off.
The panels are undamaged, and there's not even that much damage to the
brackets.

In fact, I'm going to lay the concrete panels on the ground as a base for a
shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "OG"
saying something like:

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts,

When in doubt, clout.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:30:15 +0100
"OG" wrote:

In fact, I'm going to lay the concrete panels on the ground as a base for a
shed.

Well done. A true recycler!
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:

Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was
getting fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a
damn sight quicker than '2'

I assume you don't want to rebuild it elsewhere? g

The bolts go through holes in the panels, so I'm just breaking the
nuts off. The panels are undamaged, and there's not even that much
damage to the brackets.

In fact, I'm going to lay the concrete panels on the ground as a base
for a shed.

Fair enough! I had visions of smashing holes in the concrete to remove the
bolts and nuts, complete!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was
getting fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn
sight quicker than '2'

The project progresses

Brute force & ignorance is a wonderful thing...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was getting
fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn sight
quicker than '2'

The project progresses

You obviosuly never did te mandatory student repairs old banger course.

When in doubt, blowlamp and angle grinder, hammer and cold chisel.

In this case a concrete saw could have been hired and the thing cut into
handy sized chunks in an hour or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "OG"
saying something like:

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts,

When in doubt, clout.

if you don't mind, grind

--
Criticising the government is not illegal, but on investigation often
turns out to be linked to other offences

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was
getting fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn
sight quicker than '2'

The project progresses

Slightly lateral way of disposing of large concrete coal bunker;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Coal%20Bunker/

Just build your deck right over the top of it!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:
Trying to take apart a 25 year old concrete panel coal bunker I was getting
fed up with
1) - releasing corroded bolts on the brackets
2) - hacksawing through the brackets where '1' failed

This afternoon discovered that a heavy hammer and cold chisel is a
quick'n'dirty way to to remove the bolts, dirtier than '1' but a damn sight
quicker than '2'

Another slightly more "elegant" method that can often work if you want
to preserve bolts or have a more fragile mounting is 2 hammers.
a lump hammer held against one side of the nut and another one to hit
the opposite side of the nut.

try that on all oposing faces and the addition of a small squirt of
"penetrating" oil can work wonders.

Also suitable if you don't want sparks of flames flying around.
Just don't hit so hard you turn the nut into a rivett.

:¬)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Slightly lateral way of disposing of large concrete coal bunker;
http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...Coal%20Bunker/
Just build your deck right over the top of it!

That guillotine looks a bit cobbled together, if you don't mind my
saying so. Not a good advert for a flatpack assembler.

As Dolly Parton said, "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap". Those
things are a work of art to get right e.g. not slicing someones head off
accidentally. Built like a Swiss watch under that dodgy looking exterior.
Cost a grand retail.

I built one for Joe Pasquale once, love to see him use it. Its designed so
that bits keep falling off during the act.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk