Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricity supply question (The Owl Monitor)

I intend buying an Owl Energy Monitor but I'm not sure whether my supply is
single, 2 or 3-phase. It is a semi-detached country cottage property and
there are three wires coming from the transformer pole to a central chimney
head. On the meter itself it says 1 PH 2W, and the meter has four outlets:

Left to right

1. Red wire

2. Black wire

3. Can't see colour

4. Red wire

Which one should the sensor be clipped to and will I need more than one
sensor?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Syke" writes:
I intend buying an Owl Energy Monitor but I'm not sure whether my supply is
single, 2 or 3-phase. It is a semi-detached country cottage property and
there are three wires coming from the transformer pole to a central chimney
head. On the meter itself it says 1 PH 2W, and the meter has four outlets:

Left to right

1. Red wire

2. Black wire

3. Can't see colour

4. Red wire

Which one should the sensor be clipped to and will I need more than one
sensor?

If you mean it has 4 _connections_ (i.e. 2 in, 2 out), then you can clip it
around any one of these -- it won't make any difference which one you use.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syke wrote:

I intend buying an Owl Energy Monitor but I'm not sure whether my
supply is single, 2 or 3-phase. It is a semi-detached country
cottage property and there are three wires coming from the
transformer pole to a central chimney head. On the meter itself it
says 1 PH 2W, and the meter has four outlets:

Left to right

1. Red wire

2. Black wire

3. Can't see colour

4. Red wire

Which one should the sensor be clipped to and will I need more than
one sensor?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

It's a bog-standard single phase supply - and you only need one sensor.
[More than one phase would be pretty unusual in a domestic property,
anyway.]

Since the *same* current is flowing through all 4 wires, it doesn't matter
which one you use for the sensor.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syke wrote:
I intend buying an Owl Energy Monitor but I'm not sure whether my supply is
single, 2 or 3-phase. It is a semi-detached country cottage property and
there are three wires coming from the transformer pole to a central chimney
head. On the meter itself it says 1 PH 2W, and the meter has four outlets:

Left to right

1. Red wire

2. Black wire

3. Can't see colour

4. Red wire

Which one should the sensor be clipped to and will I need more than one
sensor?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Thanks for taking the time everybody; that's just what I wanted to hear!

Regards

Syke