Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing to plasterboard wall

Hi

We have a plasterboard wall which is hollow, then another piece of
plasterboard 2 inches behind it. We had a towel rack fitted to the wall with
rawl plugs and screws but it came lose. I decided to put it up again using
some special plasterboard fittings ( a circle of metal you screwed into the
plasterboard which had a thread in the middle to take the supplied screw.)
Needless to say it lasted a week and now I am left with big holes.

The rail needs to be fitted to the same location or the holes will be
visible and the wall is decorated with wallpaper and we have none spare. The
hole is too big for rawl plugs so I'm not sure how to proceed. I was
thinking of spraying some expandable foam into the hole and pushing in a
rawl plug, any other ideas on how I can fix the bracket would be
appreciated.

regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jack Sprat" wrote in message
| Hi
|
| We have a plasterboard wall which is hollow, then another piece of
| plasterboard 2 inches behind it. We had a towel rack fitted to the wall
with
| rawl plugs and screws but it came lose. I decided to put it up again
using
| some special plasterboard fittings ( a circle of metal you screwed into
the
| plasterboard which had a thread in the middle to take the supplied screw.)
| Needless to say it lasted a week and now I am left with big holes.
|
| The rail needs to be fitted to the same location or the holes will be
| visible and the wall is decorated with wallpaper and we have none spare.
The
| hole is too big for rawl plugs so I'm not sure how to proceed. I was
| thinking of spraying some expandable foam into the hole and pushing in a
| rawl plug, any other ideas on how I can fix the bracket would be
| appreciated.
|
| regards

I use spring fixings for things that need to take weight - and they need a
big hole to get them in anyway!

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38860/...0mm-Pack-of-20

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Sprat wrote:
Hi

We have a plasterboard wall which is hollow, then another piece of
plasterboard 2 inches behind it. We had a towel rack fitted to the
wall with rawl plugs and screws but it came lose. I decided to put
it up again using some special plasterboard fittings ( a circle of
metal you screwed into the plasterboard which had a thread in the
middle to take the supplied screw.) Needless to say it lasted a week
and now I am left with big holes.

Problem is high loading on the towel rail and the very low strength of
plasterboard.

Judging by the 2" thickness I'd guess the wall is built with metal struts
rather than timber. Fairly new build?

If the wall were timber framed it might be possible to screw into the studs,
although the spacing is unlikely to be right.

The rail needs to be fitted to the same location or the holes will be
visible and the wall is decorated with wallpaper and we have none
spare. The hole is too big for rawl plugs so I'm not sure how to
proceed. I was thinking of spraying some expandable foam into the
hole and pushing in a rawl plug, any other ideas on how I can fix the
bracket would be appreciated.

Best solution IMO is to fix a timber batten to the wall & screw the towel
rail to that. A few of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18266/...3mm-Pack-of-10
and some No Nails should prove strong enough.

Batten could be painted to match the decor.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Sprat wrote:
[...]

Car body filler. Stuff in newspaper below to support it, then fill the
holes and the cavity with that. It sticks like **** to everything. When
'rubbery' sand flush and mount the rail
It will sperad the load over a wide area.

regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:59:18 GMT, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18266/...gs/Hollow-Wall
-Anchor-5-x-43mm-6-13mm-Pack-of-10

These are what I use for high loads direct on plasterboard. They
spread the load across the back of the board quite well. They do need
a large hole but maybe the hole that now exists will be suitable if
it's not too messy and crumbly around the edges.

They do come in different diameters match the fixing to the existing
hole such that it is a snug fit.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Jack Sprat wrote:
[...]

I'm with Angela. Toggle fixings, with body filler to close the hole up.
If you can't easily get paper or something to stay in place, stick a
scrap of wood through the hole with a screw in the middle and use the
screw to pull the wood tight against the back of the hole while the
filler goes off. Stand there like a lemon for five minutes, remove
screw, and you have a new surface to drill into.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Sprat wrote:
[...]

Isn't it going to be difficult to stop large amounts disappearing into the
cavity? Personally, I'd go with TMH and a nice piece of wood (could even be
ply or MDF) using no more nails for shear strength and perhaps three toggle
fittings to hold it to the plasterboard while it sets (and left behind
afterwards). Then screw rail to the wood / plywood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

| I'm with Angela.
|
| Who is angela?

That would be me!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jack Sprat wrote:

I decided to put it up again using
some special plasterboard fittings ( a circle of metal you screwed into the
plasterboard which had a thread in the middle to take the supplied screw.)
Needless to say it lasted a week and now I am left with big holes.

Err what the hell are you doing, using the towel rail for pull-ups? I've
hung dozens of radiators using those screw-in plasterboard fixings and
they are absolutely fine. If you're abusing the fittings to that extend
you'd be better off cutting a hole in the plasterboard then fitting a
wooden load-bearing plate behind the plasterboard then making good
before re-fitting the towel rail.

Fixing units to plasterboard Gogs UK diy 15 November 6th 05 07:30 PM
fixing foamex to plasterboard kd UK diy 2 September 9th 05 09:42 AM
Fixing plasterboard kafkaian UK diy 6 February 13th 05 03:38 PM
Fixing mirror to tiled plasterboard wall N UK diy 8 January 4th 04 08:41 AM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM