Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing to plasterboard wall

Jack Sprat wrote:
Hi

We have a plasterboard wall which is hollow, then another piece of
plasterboard 2 inches behind it. We had a towel rack fitted to the
wall with rawl plugs and screws but it came lose. I decided to put
it up again using some special plasterboard fittings ( a circle of
metal you screwed into the plasterboard which had a thread in the
middle to take the supplied screw.) Needless to say it lasted a week
and now I am left with big holes.

Problem is high loading on the towel rail and the very low strength of
plasterboard.

Judging by the 2" thickness I'd guess the wall is built with metal struts
rather than timber. Fairly new build?

If the wall were timber framed it might be possible to screw into the studs,
although the spacing is unlikely to be right.

The rail needs to be fitted to the same location or the holes will be
visible and the wall is decorated with wallpaper and we have none
spare. The hole is too big for rawl plugs so I'm not sure how to
proceed. I was thinking of spraying some expandable foam into the
hole and pushing in a rawl plug, any other ideas on how I can fix the
bracket would be appreciated.

Best solution IMO is to fix a timber batten to the wall & screw the towel
rail to that. A few of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18266/...3mm-Pack-of-10
and some No Nails should prove strong enough.

Batten could be painted to match the decor.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk