Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default solar powered air brick

A friend has made the following request elsewhere, and doesn't use
newsgroups

"we have a small larder at the back of the kitchen (it used to be the
outside loo). It has two airbricks for ventilation - one low down that
opens onto the cool passageway between the houses, the other high up on
the back wall.

In the Summer, it gets too hot, despite insulation. So I'd like to
install a small solar-powered fan to assist with circulating
comparatively cool air in from the passageway. There are a few kits
around, but what I'm really after is an airbrick with a fan in it -
preferably a centrifugal one as it's fit the rectangular shape better.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or ideas please? As a default
I'll get a kit and botch the physical interface to the airbrick."

sensible recommendations, anyone ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 July, 18:33, geoff wrote:
I'll get a kit and botch the physical interface to the airbrick."

Best idea, IMHO.

Maplin are a good source of cheap solar at the moment (and just wait
until September!) and there's also mutr.co.uk for all manner of bits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On 3 July, 18:33, geoff wrote:
I'll get a kit and botch the physical interface to the airbrick."

Best idea, IMHO.

Maplin are a good source of cheap solar at the moment (and just wait
until September!) and there's also mutr.co.uk for all manner of bits.

Hmmm yes ISTR they had a pretty good solar panel on offer last year
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 6:33*pm, geoff wrote:
A friend has made the following request elsewhere, and doesn't use
newsgroups

"we have a small *larder at the back of the kitchen (it used to be the
outside loo). It *has two airbricks for ventilation - one low down that
opens onto the *cool passageway between the houses, the other high up on
the back wall.

In the Summer, it gets too hot, despite insulation. So I'd like to
install a small solar-powered fan to assist with circulating
comparatively cool air in from the passageway. There are a few kits
around, but what I'm really after is an airbrick with a fan in it -
preferably a centrifugal one as it's fit the rectangular shape better.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or ideas please? As a default
I'll get a kit and botch the physical interface to the airbrick."

sensible recommendations, anyone ?

4" PC fan is probably as near as you'll get to that. Run it all night
long, not in the day time.
There are other ways to improve the coolness too. A very basic one is
a frozen 1 litre tetrapak.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 3, 6:33*pm, geoff wrote:
[...]

I've already suggested that

Run it all night
long, not in the day time.

"Cool air from the passageway"

There are other ways to improve the coolness too. A very basic one is
a frozen 1 litre tetrapak.

NT

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 18:33:16 +0100, geoff wrote:

A friend has made the following request elsewhere, and doesn't use
newsgroups

"we have a small larder at the back of the kitchen (it used to be the
outside loo). It has two airbricks for ventilation - one low down that
opens onto the cool passageway between the houses, the other high up on
the back wall.

In the Summer, it gets too hot, despite insulation. So I'd like to
install a small solar-powered fan to assist with circulating
comparatively cool air in from the passageway. There are a few kits
around, but what I'm really after is an airbrick with a fan in it -
preferably a centrifugal one as it's fit the rectangular shape better.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or ideas please? As a default
I'll get a kit and botch the physical interface to the airbrick."

sensible recommendations, anyone ?

A small cross flow fan would give the right shape to fit into an airbrick;
a computer bay cooler, (Maplin) might be worth a try. Maplin used to sell
a 'computer air conditioner' which was basically a cross flow fan with
controller which fitted into a 5.25" bay.

I guess either of the above would be small enough to be driven by solar
power.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message
, NT
writes
4" PC fan is probably as near as you'll get to that.

I've already suggested that

Run it all night
long, not in the day time.

"Cool air from the passageway"

I wonder if you can be a bit clever with thermostats here. For example,
have two thermostats. When T_outside T_inside, run the fan(s). When it
isn't, don't. That way you're either pumping in colder air or stopping warm
air coming in. You might need to switch this mechanism off in winter :-)

Having a flap on the leeward side of the air bricks operated by the fan's
pressure will prevent warm draughts blowing in when you don't want them.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:33:16 +0100, geoff wrote:

A friend has made the following request elsewhere, and doesn't use
newsgroups

"we have a small larder at the back of the kitchen (it used to be the
outside loo). It has two airbricks for ventilation - one low down that
opens onto the cool passageway between the houses, the other high up on
the back wall.

In the Summer, it gets too hot, despite insulation. So I'd like to
install a small solar-powered fan to assist with circulating
comparatively cool air in from the passageway. There are a few kits
around, but what I'm really after is an airbrick with a fan in it -
preferably a centrifugal one as it's fit the rectangular shape better.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or ideas please? As a default
I'll get a kit and botch the physical interface to the airbrick."

sensible recommendations, anyone ?

Have a look on the net - australia has some wind powered ones
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 1:19*am, Theo Markettos
wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message
, NT
writes
4" PC fan is probably as near as you'll get to that.

I've already suggested that

Run it all night
long, not in the day time.

"Cool air from the passageway"

I wonder if you can be a bit clever with thermostats here. *For example,
have two thermostats. *When T_outside T_inside, run the fan(s). *When it
isn't, don't. *That way you're either pumping in colder air or stopping warm
air coming in. *You might need to switch this mechanism off in winter :-)

Having a flap on the leeward side of the air bricks operated by the fan's
pressure will prevent warm draughts blowing in when you don't want them.

Theo

A differential stat would be ideal. Not sure you could do it with 2
separate single stats though.
Timers are far cheaper and more accessible, so a much simpler but less
ideal option is to just run the fan when its coldest outside. But the
diff stat would definitely give more cooling.

NT

Solar-powered lights - recommendations please ?? Adrian UK diy 33 January 7th 09 11:34 AM
Solar Powered Roof Vent Lou Leciejewski Home Repair 7 April 21st 08 01:50 AM
Solar powered Cooking. Mark UK diy 2 January 13th 08 09:11 PM
Solar Powered Water Pump Scott UK diy 3 March 15th 06 01:30 PM
Solar powered post light tony weikert Home Repair 4 December 4th 05 04:12 AM