Posted to alt.home.repair
tony weikert

Default Solar powered post light

I'm going to install a post light by my driveway. I've been thinking of
installing a solar powered one ( no wires to bury, no operating costs, etc.)
Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences? I'm concerned about
the light output (I know it won't be as bright as a 100 watt bulb but I also
don't want one that looks like a 99 cent nightlight either). Thanks in
advance.
Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"tony weikert" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm going to install a post light by my driveway. I've been thinking of
installing a solar powered one ( no wires to bury, no operating costs,
etc.) Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences? I'm concerned
about the light output (I know it won't be as bright as a 100 watt bulb
but I also don't want one that looks like a 99 cent nightlight either).
Thanks in advance.

The only caveat I can think of is to be sure the solar grid gets enough
sun-lit time for max brightness. My son's multi setup along the front path
gets varying sun-lit time because of tree shadows, and results in varying
brightness and longevity at various locations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

"tony weikert" wrote in message
link.net...

I'm going to install a post light by my driveway. I've been thinking of
installing a solar powered one ( no wires to bury, no operating costs,
etc.) Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences? I'm concerned
about the light output (I know it won't be as bright as a 100 watt bulb
but I also don't want one that looks like a 99 cent nightlight either).
Thanks in advance.

I don't understand the need for lights on columns at driveway entrances.
Cars have headlights that work just fine to illuminate the column. I'm
amazed at people who will put up a 100W bulb which produces tremendous
glare and think they are accomplishing something. Instead of helping a
driver see better, the light and glare actually obstruct the view of
anyone trying to enter the driveway and it can even limit the vision of
people just driving by at night. Shielded lights are better, but they
still require electricity and maintenance.

How about a passive reflector? Simple, cheap, and no solar cells required.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Tim Killian wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure he was talking about a light at the entrance. The usual
place for a post light _by_ a driveway is where the front walk meets
the driveway. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

The solar lights I've seen don't last very long - not even until you go
to bed (unless you go to bed at 9). You might not have light when you
need it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

I'm not sure he was talking about a light at the entrance. The usual
place for a post light _by_ a driveway is where the front walk meets
the driveway. I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

The solar lights I've seen don't last very long - not even until you go
to bed (unless you go to bed at 9). You might not have light when you
need it.

If you don't want to pay for a permanent install, trenches, switch
control in house, etc, why not just buy some 12 volt lighting? It's
easy to run the wiring in a shallow trench and have a photocell or
timer controller/transformer that plugs into an outdoor outlet.

Beachcomber

wiring confusion/ouside light James UK diy 1 May 25th 05 04:07 AM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 12:22 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM