Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Default Solar powered post light

"tony weikert" wrote in message
link.net...

I'm going to install a post light by my driveway. I've been thinking of
installing a solar powered one ( no wires to bury, no operating costs,
etc.) Does anyone have any recommendations or experiences? I'm concerned
about the light output (I know it won't be as bright as a 100 watt bulb
but I also don't want one that looks like a 99 cent nightlight either).
Thanks in advance.

I don't understand the need for lights on columns at driveway entrances.
Cars have headlights that work just fine to illuminate the column. I'm
amazed at people who will put up a 100W bulb which produces tremendous
glare and think they are accomplishing something. Instead of helping a
driver see better, the light and glare actually obstruct the view of
anyone trying to enter the driveway and it can even limit the vision of
people just driving by at night. Shielded lights are better, but they
still require electricity and maintenance.

How about a passive reflector? Simple, cheap, and no solar cells required.