Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott

Default Solar Powered Water Pump

Hi,

In my garden the previous owners put in a hnd pump that linked to an
under ground stream, you get nice cold water out of it.

Anyway - thinking of putting an electric pump on it to say use the water
in the garden, for car cleaning and possibly at a later stage, subject
to a filtration device, use it for non drinking water in the house.
Especially if the local water company decides to make everyone have a
water meter.

Anyway - I am not sure how far the bore goes, buut can anyone point me
in the direction of some water pumps that may do what I want - but
specifically, I would like them to be solar powered if possibly - is it?

Scott

PS - reposted as totally mis-spelt the title
Posted to uk.d-i-y
robert

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:01:12 GMT, Scott
wrote:

Hi,

In my garden the previous owners put in a hnd pump that linked to an
under ground stream, you get nice cold water out of it.

Anyway - thinking of putting an electric pump on it to say use the water
in the garden, for car cleaning and possibly at a later stage, subject
to a filtration device, use it for non drinking water in the house.
Especially if the local water company decides to make everyone have a
water meter.

Anyway - I am not sure how far the bore goes, buut can anyone point me
in the direction of some water pumps that may do what I want - but
specifically, I would like them to be solar powered if possibly - is it?

Scott

PS - reposted as totally mis-spelt the title

You cant "pull" water up more than 10m ( atmospheric pressure), any
deeper and you have to have the pump at the bottom of the well/source
and "push" it up.

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Douglas de Lacey

Scott wrote:
Hi,

In my garden the previous owners put in a hnd pump that linked to an
under ground stream, you get nice cold water out of it.

Anyway - thinking of putting an electric pump on it to say use the water
in the garden, for car cleaning and possibly at a later stage, subject
to a filtration device, use it for non drinking water in the house.
Especially if the local water company decides to make everyone have a
water meter.

Anyway - I am not sure how far the bore goes, buut can anyone point me
in the direction of some water pumps that may do what I want - but
specifically, I would like them to be solar powered if possibly - is it?

I take it you already have a functioning hand pump? in that case any
suction (lift) pump should work; the problem would be getting pump and
solar panels beefy enough to give you anything like a reasonable flow.
Had you thought about wind power? Google for "wind pump" in pages from
the UK: some interesting hits.

PS - reposted as totally mis-spelt the title

Not useful unless you *immediately* cancel the original (and even then
many servers won't honour the cancel)-:

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Scott wrote:

Hi,

In my garden the previous owners put in a hnd pump that linked to an
under ground stream, you get nice cold water out of it.

Anyway - thinking of putting an electric pump on it to say use the water
in the garden, for car cleaning and possibly at a later stage, subject
to a filtration device, use it for non drinking water in the house.
Especially if the local water company decides to make everyone have a
water meter.

Anyway - I am not sure how far the bore goes, buut can anyone point me
in the direction of some water pumps that may do what I want - but
specifically, I would like them to be solar powered if possibly - is it?

sure

I take it you already have a functioning hand pump? in that case any
suction (lift) pump should work; the problem would be getting pump and
solar panels beefy enough to give you anything like a reasonable flow.

yes, but very little flow is needed afaics. You only need provide
average flow, not peak. A small (raised) tank takes care of the peaks.

As for garden watering its pointless and counterproductive to water
anything more than a tiny amount for young plants without a proper root
system yet.

There might be an even easier option, if the seal on your hand pump is
good, and thats to use swaying tree motion to operate the existing
pump.

NT