Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soil pipe vents

Houses built between the Wars (and earlier) all had a visible soil
pipe vent showing above the gutter.

Why are these not needed on modern houses?

DJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wibbled:

Houses built between the Wars (and earlier) all had a visible soil
pipe vent showing above the gutter.

Why are these not needed on modern houses?

DJ

I've got vent pipes in my modern rented house - it's just as the pipes are
all inside, the vent is well up the roofline and quite stubby as it's
already 900mm above the window line.

I suppose there maybe be some scenarios where an AAV is OK, but my BCO told
me I needed an vent, even with AAVs in case the sewer wanted to breath out.
In fact, it does do this as I discovered when the warm weather came, with
all the open ends in my house - wiffy...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
Houses built between the Wars (and earlier) all had a visible soil
pipe vent showing above the gutter.

Why are these not needed on modern houses?

They are, but they are generally tucked inside a *very* well ventilated
loft.

Or exit high up on a gable.

DJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wibbled:

They are, but they are generally tucked inside a *very* well ventilated
loft.

Yuk. How the hell did that get to be approved under building regs, when you
consider how fussy they are about other things?...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wibbled:

They are, but they are generally tucked inside a *very* well ventilated
loft.

Yuk. How the hell did that get to be approved under building regs, when you
consider how fussy they are about other things?...

because of the high standards of insulation and airtightness, what
happens in your loft is not really part of your concern these days ;-)

It is, essentially 'outside'..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:31:06 +0100, Tim S wrote:

David J wibbled:

Houses built between the Wars (and earlier) all had a visible soil
pipe vent showing above the gutter.

Why are these not needed on modern houses?

DJ

I've got vent pipes in my modern rented house - it's just as the pipes are
all inside, the vent is well up the roofline and quite stubby as it's
already 900mm above the window line.

I suppose there maybe be some scenarios where an AAV is OK, but my BCO told
me I needed an vent, even with AAVs in case the sewer wanted to breath out.
In fact, it does do this as I discovered when the warm weather came, with
all the open ends in my house - wiffy...

Thanks for introducing me to the AAV - which I had never heard of...

From reading installion instructions here about being 'boxed in':

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...nce_valves.htm

istm that a householder will have little chance of inspecting if this
AAV device is working properly - or is even there!

DJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David J" wrote in message
Houses built between the Wars (and earlier) all had a visible soil
pipe vent showing above the gutter.

Why are these not needed on modern houses?

The vent should terminate above the highest window with a cage on top. An
AAV can be used or fit Hepworth HepVo traps in the basin, bath and sinks.
These dry HepVo traps are AAV's themselves, so eliminating the need for one
large AAV.

Eco homes do like to have penetrations of the building fabric, especially
metal such as flues and overflow pipes. HepVo's eliminate the need for a
soil pipe to penetrate the building fabric.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
Houses built between the Wars (and earlier) all had a visible soil
pipe vent showing above the gutter.

Why are these not needed on modern houses?

They are, but they are generally tucked inside a *very* well ventilated
loft.

Or exit high up on a gable.

Few will approve that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wibbled:

The vent should terminate above the highest window with a cage on top. An
AAV can be used or fit Hepworth HepVo traps in the basin, bath and sinks.
These dry HepVo traps are AAV's themselves, so eliminating the need for
one large AAV.

Eco homes do like to have penetrations of the building fabric, especially
metal such as flues and overflow pipes. HepVo's eliminate the need for a
soil pipe to penetrate the building fabric.

How does that vent +ve pressure?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
.. .
Doctor Drivel wibbled:

The vent should terminate above the highest window with a cage on top.
An
AAV can be used or fit Hepworth HepVo traps in the basin, bath and sinks.
These dry HepVo traps are AAV's themselves, so eliminating the need for
one large AAV.

Eco homes do like to have penetrations of the building fabric, especially
metal such as flues and overflow pipes. HepVo's eliminate the need for a
soil pipe to penetrate the building fabric.

How does that vent +ve pressure?

Every 5th house and end of line, needs an open vent. The rest can use an
AAV or HepVO traps. The idea is to draw air into the sewer, the 5th house's
stack allows air out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wibbled:

Every 5th house and end of line, needs an open vent. The rest can use an
AAV or HepVO traps. The idea is to draw air into the sewer, the 5th
house's stack allows air out.

Yes - OK. I wonder what happens when the 5th house owner (times 2 or 3)
looses theirs and sticks an AAV in

In teh olde days, they used to have open vent stacks in the roadway every
now and then.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:41:16 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, Tim S
randomly hit a keyboard and produced:

The Natural Philosopher wibbled:

They are, but they are generally tucked inside a *very* well ventilated
loft.

Yuk. How the hell did that get to be approved under building regs...?

Not by _this_ BCO, it wasn't.

OP: vent stacks are still required. It's just that they're often
boxed-in within the building with a stack passing through the roof to
a ridge or tile vent, or an air-admittance valve. As a matter of fact,
my 1999 semi has an external stack and an internal one.
--
Hugo Nebula
"If no one on the Internet wants a piece of this,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wibbled:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:41:16 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, Tim S
randomly hit a keyboard and produced:

The Natural Philosopher wibbled:

They are, but they are generally tucked inside a *very* well ventilated
loft.

Yuk. How the hell did that get to be approved under building regs...?

Not by _this_ BCO, it wasn't.

OP: vent stacks are still required. It's just that they're often
boxed-in within the building with a stack passing through the roof to
a ridge or tile vent, or an air-admittance valve. As a matter of fact,
my 1999 semi has an external stack and an internal one.

That concurs exactly with what my BCO said.

I can see how tile vents might give the illusion of not having a vent.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Doctor Drivel wibbled:

The vent should terminate above the highest window with a cage on top. An
AAV can be used or fit Hepworth HepVo traps in the basin, bath and sinks.
These dry HepVo traps are AAV's themselves, so eliminating the need for
one large AAV.

Eco homes do like to have penetrations of the building fabric, especially
metal such as flues and overflow pipes. HepVo's eliminate the need for a
soil pipe to penetrate the building fabric.

How does that vent +ve pressure?

It doesn't. Pure drivel, as usual.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:41:16 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, Tim S
randomly hit a keyboard and produced:

The Natural Philosopher wibbled:

They are, but they are generally tucked inside a *very* well ventilated
loft.

Yuk. How the hell did that get to be approved under building regs...?

Not by _this_ BCO, it wasn't.

Mine vents out through a gable as high as we could get it. BCO was happy.

I have to say however, that the other end of the drains go to a
klargester, which isn't airtight ;-)

OP: vent stacks are still required. It's just that they're often
boxed-in within the building with a stack passing through the roof to
a ridge or tile vent, or an air-admittance valve. As a matter of fact,
my 1999 semi has an external stack and an internal one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Doctor Drivel wibbled:

The vent should terminate above the highest window with a cage on top.
An
AAV can be used or fit Hepworth HepVo traps in the basin, bath and
sinks.
These dry HepVo traps are AAV's themselves, so eliminating the need for
one large AAV.

Eco homes do like to have penetrations of the building fabric,
especially
metal such as flues and overflow pipes. HepVo's eliminate the need for
soil pipe to penetrate the building fabric.

How does that vent +ve pressure?

It doesn't. Pure drivel, as usual.

This man is a lunatic.