Posted to uk.d-i-y
David J David J is offline

Default Soil pipe vents

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:31:06 +0100, Tim S wrote:

David J wibbled:

Houses built between the Wars (and earlier) all had a visible soil
pipe vent showing above the gutter.

Why are these not needed on modern houses?

DJ

I've got vent pipes in my modern rented house - it's just as the pipes are
all inside, the vent is well up the roofline and quite stubby as it's
already 900mm above the window line.

I suppose there maybe be some scenarios where an AAV is OK, but my BCO told
me I needed an vent, even with AAVs in case the sewer wanted to breath out.
In fact, it does do this as I discovered when the warm weather came, with
all the open ends in my house - wiffy...

Thanks for introducing me to the AAV - which I had never heard of...

From reading installion instructions here about being 'boxed in':

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...nce_valves.htm

istm that a householder will have little chance of inspecting if this
AAV device is working properly - or is even there!

DJ