Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT? How do I get rid of burning smell

I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob
and must have knocked a knob, as one
of the rings was very slightly on. I came
down in the middle of the night after
smelling burning, to find a 9" circular
hole in the tray. Now, days later, I can
still smell the acrid smell of the burnt
plastic. Can anyone suggest ways
of getting rid of this smell?
TIA,
|FC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

freecycle wrote:
I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob
and must have knocked a knob, as one
of the rings was very slightly on. I came
down in the middle of the night after
smelling burning, to find a 9" circular
hole in the tray. Now, days later, I can
still smell the acrid smell of the burnt
plastic. Can anyone suggest ways
of getting rid of this smell?
TIA,
|FC

open the window, put the hob full on, and go out for the day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 26, 11:11*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
freecycle wrote:
I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob

SNIP
of getting rid of this smell?
TIA,
|FC

open the window, put the hob full on, and go out for the day.

Sorry I should have said. The ceramic hob
cleaned up perfectly, it's the smell
hanging around the house that I'm
trying to get rid of.
|FC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
freecycle writes:
I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob
and must have knocked a knob, as one
of the rings was very slightly on. I came
down in the middle of the night after
smelling burning, to find a 9" circular
hole in the tray. Now, days later, I can
still smell the acrid smell of the burnt
plastic. Can anyone suggest ways
of getting rid of this smell?

Clear the stale air by opening windows, and then do a detailed stiff
test around to find out where the smell is lingering. Anything over
the cooker (e.g. extractor, cupboards, or ceiling) is a likely
candidate and may need washing. Also any fabrics, which easily pick
up anything like that. The cooker itself is a very likely source too.

I came back after a day away, to find my living room smelt of a
bonfire which must have happened next door. A fan in the house had
been drawing air in through the living room window vents. Most of
the smell was in the curtains, but I didn't get round to doing
anything about it very quickly, and within a few weeks, it had
gone. Back in the days of smokey pubs, I'd sometimes find my
suit jacket or trousers stank after taking a customer to a bar,
and it would have fallen to bits in weeks if it was washed every
time this happened, not to mention the cost of dry cleaning it.
Often, taking it outdoors and giving it a very vigourous shake
would make the suit wearable again without stinking like an ash
tray.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote: freecycle wrote:
I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob

SNIP
of getting rid of this smell?
TIA,
|FC

open the window, put the hob full on, and go out for the day.

Sorry I should have said. The ceramic hob
cleaned up perfectly, it's the smell
hanging around the house that I'm
trying to get rid of.

Put one or more electric fans blowing air out of open windows.

I'm considering plugging a small light into the stove as a warning
that it is switched on at the wall, since the damn fool stove
designers have the element warning lights switching on an off all the
time while they are in use, so they are useless as a warning. I don't
need a clock on the stove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote: freecycle wrote:
I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob

SNIP
of getting rid of this smell?
TIA,
|FC
open the window, put the hob full on, and go out for the day.

Sorry I should have said. The ceramic hob
cleaned up perfectly, it's the smell
hanging around the house that I'm
trying to get rid of.

Put one or more electric fans blowing air out of open windows.

I'm considering plugging a small light into the stove as a warning
that it is switched on at the wall, since the damn fool stove
designers have the element warning lights switching on an off all the
time while they are in use, so they are useless as a warning. I don't
need a clock on the stove.

plates of cut onions around the place?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Matty F wrote:
I'm considering plugging a small light into the stove as a warning
that it is switched on at the wall, since the damn fool stove
designers have the element warning lights switching on an off all the
time while they are in use, so they are useless as a warning. I don't
need a clock on the stove.

You can get cooker isolators with a neon built in.

Or more sensibly change to a gas hob. ;-)

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
freecycle wrote:
I put a thick plastic tray on the electric hob

SNIP
of getting rid of this smell?
TIA,
|FC

open the window, put the hob full on, and go out for the day.

Sorry I should have said. The ceramic hob
cleaned up perfectly, it's the smell
hanging around the house that I'm
trying to get rid of.
|FC

Dont worry. The senses acclimatise to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 26 June, 11:31, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
... Back in the days of smokey pubs, I'd sometimes find my
suit jacket or trousers stank after taking a customer to a bar,
and it would have fallen to bits in weeks if it was washed every
time this happened, not to mention the cost of dry cleaning it.
Often, taking it outdoors and giving it a very vigourous shake
would make the suit wearable again without stinking like an ash
tray.

Running the vacuum cleaner nozzle over them sucks the smell molecules
out.

Owain

Febreeze products are incredibly effective at removing odours (as
distinct from masking them)
I brought an armchair back from my Mothers house. She smoked 40 a day
and we could smell the thing from all over our house. 2 or 3 heavy doses
of Febreeze removed the problem very efficiently.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 02:42:50 -0700 (PDT), freecycle
wrote:

Can anyone suggest ways
of getting rid of this smell?

Febreeze on fabrics and carpets as has already been suggested and burn
candles in the rooms. (any old candle - does not need to be scented -
the wax in the combustion vapour absorbs the smells well).