Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old Vestibule door

Hi all.
After removing the old vestibule door and sidelights etc from my old
terraced house. I'm wondering if it could be restored and remodelled
for 'promotion' as a new front door. Its a pretty heavy old thing
with the
top half having a the usual glazed framing pattern
eg

+---+-----------------------------------+---+
| | | |
+---+-----------------------------------+---+
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
+---+-----------------------------------+---+
| | | |
+---+-----------------------------------+---+

The bottom half is very solid.

Does anyone know of the timber for these old doors is
of a type good enough to become a front door that would
withstand everything the elements could throw at it?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 June, 15:46, Arthur 51 wrote:

Does anyone know of the timber for these old doors is
of a type good enough to become a front door that would
withstand everything the elements could throw at it?

Probably a good quality pitch pine.

It would need to be painted, but yes it would work. It's better than
many doors you'll get these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 June, 16:08, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 18 June, 15:46, Arthur 51 wrote:

Does anyone know of the timber for these old doors is
of a type good enough to become a front door that would
withstand everything the elements could throw at it?

Probably a good quality pitch pine.

It would need to be painted, but yes it would work. It's better than
many doors you'll get these days.

Also, 1 or 2 of the other houses on the street still have the
original
ancient doors and have the same design.
And as its going to be painted I want to alter the framing layout to
something like

+---------------+-----------------+---------------+
| | | |
| | glazed | |
| | | |
| glazed +-----------------+ glazed |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
+---------------+ solid | +---------------+
| | panel | |
| | | |
| | | |
| solid | | solid |
| panel | | panel |
| | | |
| | | |
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I would do it by building the above framing complete
with outsides. Then size the depth to stand proud of the existing
door
surfrace.
Sorry...am I going on here?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Arthur 51 wrote:
After removing the old vestibule door and sidelights etc from my old
terraced house. I'm wondering if it could be restored and remodelled
for 'promotion' as a new front door.

I *added* a vestibule door here. With sidelights etc in thick glass. Cuts
the noise down appreciably. As well as draughts. That part of a hallway is
rarely much used for anything - so why did you remove it?

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
Arthur 51 wrote:
After removing the old vestibule door and sidelights etc from my old
terraced house. I'm wondering if it could be restored and remodelled
for 'promotion' as a new front door.

I *added* a vestibule door here. With sidelights etc in thick glass. Cuts
the noise down appreciably. As well as draughts. That part of a hallway is
rarely much used for anything - so why did you remove it?

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I prefer the space that its absence makes. It also provides an opportunity
to replace
the meter cupboard into something that more closely resembles a piece of
furniture rather than as a 'pregnant' lump.
I am also in the process of building my own front door frame with double
glazed sidelights,
and toplight that will include a pivot or dormer window.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 18 June, 15:46, Arthur 51 wrote:

Does anyone know of the timber for these old doors is
of a type good enough to become a front door that would
withstand everything the elements could throw at it?

Probably a good quality pitch pine.

It would need to be painted, but yes it would work. It's better than
many doors you'll get these days.

Sh^t! Just measured and its tall enough but just 31 amd 5/8ths wide.
I've built my frame to take a 33" x 78" door. Is glueing and
nailing a pice on 1 or both sides out of the question?

Arthur