Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure washers / walls

Is it just me, or do they just throw the crap from the floor onto your
walls ? :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
Is it just me, or do they just throw the crap from the floor onto your
walls ? :-}

Like most tools there is a 'knack' to using them :-)

What actually happens is that the embedded dirt is removed from the floor &
dirty water hits the walls. Clean the floor, then wash down the walls with
lower pressure.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Is it just me, or do they just throw the crap from the floor onto
your walls ? :-}

Like most tools there is a 'knack' to using them :-)

What actually happens is that the embedded dirt is removed from the
floor & dirty water hits the walls. Clean the floor, then wash down
the walls with lower pressure.

A more comprehensive answer to Colins question;

DIY pressure washers have flow rates that are very low compared to the
pressure. 100bar x 6 litres/min is common. An industrial machine at 100
bar would have a flow rate of 8 - 10 litres/min.

The balance between pressure & flow is important, high pressure/low flow
gives much more of an aerosol effect because the water droplets are very
small, resulting in a wet operator & muck all over the place.

The next consideration is the type of nozzle. If you had a simple drilled
hole in the nozzle you would get a straight 'pencil' jet of water maybe 3mm
in diameter. This would have very high mechanical efficiency, but would
take ages to clean any sort of area.

Most DIY machines & some lower end industrial have whats known as a 'vario'
nozzle which uses two metal plates to squeeze the pencil jet into a fan
shape. These can be adjusted to vary the shape of the jet between pencil &
fan by turning a ring on the nozzle that moves the plates. Vario nozzles
cause a large loss in efficiency and an increase in aerosol effect.

Next step up is to use a standard fan nozzle where the water stream is
forced through a slit into a fan shape. These are again not that efficient
and cause aerosol effect, though not as bad as vario nozzles.

The aerosol effect is caused by the very small size of the water droplets,
which easily become airbourne.

Better are the fairly recent Spectrum or Powerspeed type nozzles where the
inside of the nozzle is machined to spin the water stream into a fan. These
produce water droplets 4 times the size of a standard fan jet & greatly
reduce aerosol effect as well as improving cleaning efficiency - larger
droplets hit harder.

Best of all are 'Turbo' or 'Dirtblaster' nozzles. These use a mechanical
device to spin or oscillate a pencil jet into what appears to be a fan,
giving large area coverage, maximum mechanical advantage and much larger (10
times) water droplets than a fan jet. Hugely reduced aerosol effect, much
less splashback.

Floor cleaning tools like the Karcher Surf Cleaner have a rotating spray bar
inside a shroud and reduce splashback to almost zero.

HTH

Maybe I should add this to the pressure washer faq?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 June, 23:02, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

So true, the one that we got with our Nilfisk is excellent, it makes a
noise similar to a fan kind of thing.

Floor cleaning tools like the Karcher Surf Cleaner have a rotating spray bar
inside a shroud and reduce splashback to almost zero.

HTH

Maybe I should add this to the pressure washer faq?

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A more comprehensive answer to Colins question;

I sense a worthy addition to the FAQ here !

Thanks for the reply :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
A more comprehensive answer to Colins question;

I sense a worthy addition to the FAQ here !

Thanks for the reply :-)

Welcome.

John Rumm. Could you add this bit to the FAQ for me/us please?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
A more comprehensive answer to Colins question;

I sense a worthy addition to the FAQ here !

Thanks for the reply :-)

Welcome.

John Rumm. Could you add this bit to the FAQ for me/us please?

We seem to have two copies at the mo - one in the original FAQ, and
another in the wiki... I have a feeling the faq one could just be
replaced with a wiki link now.

OK, faq modified.

I have updated the "lance" section of the wiki article with the words
from this thread. Feel free to adapt adopt improve etc.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ure_washer_FAQ

Note if you want to edit the wiki, and don't already have an account
then see:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...count_Requests

(we had to knobble free for all account creation to kill off the spammers)

--
Cheers,

John.

Pressure Washers [email protected] Home Repair 13 March 15th 07 02:15 PM
Pressure washers TonyK UK diy 2 October 25th 06 10:53 AM
Pressure washers eddie UK diy 5 December 15th 04 01:07 AM
Pressure washers Robert UK diy 3 October 28th 04 07:41 PM
Pressure Washers? don h Home Repair 16 June 9th 04 06:52 PM