Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mower drinking oil

My mower smokes a lot out of the exhaust and gets through 1/3 - 1/2 of
the oil between the min/max lines each mow. I take this is not
good .

I've had it serviced (Sept) and had a mower guy look at it a couple of
weeks ago to try to fix it (he replaced the diaphram). So it hasn't
been neglected since I bought it on eBay.

Is this sort of thing usually terminal? It'd be a shame to lose it as
it's otherwise in great shape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 15:06:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
do mowers usually use similar valve arrangement to cars?

Sort of. IIRC they are side valves. So no rockers or pushrods
..certainly no overhead cams.

But its been a long time since I stripped one., so could be wrong.

Ours (B+S) is certainly a 4-stroke sidevalve. Part of routine maintenance
(every 3 years I think) is to whip the head off and clear out any
accumulated crap - also useful to check that the valves are seating OK,
the piston's not slapping around everywhere or holed etc.

It all comes to bits really easily, and goes back together again almost as
well ;-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 13:41:55 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

.

I've had it serviced (Sept) and had a mower guy look at it a couple of
weeks ago to try to fix it (he replaced the diaphram). So it hasn't
been neglected since I bought it on eBay.

Is this sort of thing usually terminal? It'd be a shame to lose it as
it's otherwise in great shape.

You could try the 'Redex' treatment. This involves dribbling a thin
stream of Redex (upper cylinder lubricant) into the carburettor whilst
the motor is running on fast tick-over. It produces a lot of smoke so
space is needed. It's not a miracle cure but can sometimes improve the
performance of gummed up engines.

Redex will potentially burn carbon out, but that does little for oil
consumption. It may in fact make it worse..

That's quite possible but it's a reasonable calculated risk in the
circumstances. If the treatment produces an improvement it's a good
outcome. If it fails it shows that more orthodox work is needed and
nothing is lost apart from a can of Redex.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 June, 10:11, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Precisely the sort of reason to flog it on Ebay..

New engines or bits of engines are not THAT expensive.
What engine is it?

Yep . In fairness to eBay, I'm still out ahead even if it was a
deliberate sting.

The engine is a B&S LS 45 4-stroke. Funnily enough, mower guy only
had 2 stroke petrol so he used that, which I didn't know was
possible. It actually ran less smoky than usual for the first half-
lawn, before the usual blue/white smoking started up again. A quick
look online makes me think a new B&S engine would be ~£150 + labour,
so I'll have to have a hard think about how attached I am to the rest
of the mower.

Without knowing anything about it, I did see in my searches someone
bemoaning that B&S have only recently started producing overhead
rather than side valves (I probably butchered that, but you get the
picture).

And thanks everyone.

better drinking water Jerry Trumball Home Repair 10 August 21st 08 06:27 AM
Is Bush Drinking Again? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 158 April 4th 06 07:43 PM
Drinking Cup Woodborg Woodturning 11 February 22nd 06 04:07 PM
Drinking water solution Sasha Home Repair 18 September 19th 05 06:39 AM
Kitchen Drinking tap: Removal Mark Carver UK diy 1 February 16th 05 09:44 AM