Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mower drinking oil

wrote:
My mower smokes a lot out of the exhaust and gets through 1/3 - 1/2 of
the oil between the min/max lines each mow. I take this is not
good .

I've had it serviced (Sept) and had a mower guy look at it a couple of
weeks ago to try to fix it (he replaced the diaphram). So it hasn't
been neglected since I bought it on eBay.

Is this sort of thing usually terminal? It'd be a shame to lose it as
it's otherwise in great shape.

Smokes..uses oil..hmm.

If its a 2 stroke, rings/piston/cylinder.

If a 4 stroke more likely that its valves and guides..though may well
STILL be piston cylinder.

Precisely the sort of reason to flog it on Ebay..

New engines or bits of engines are not THAT expensive.
What engine is it?

I have to say years ago I manage to keep a mini going that drank about 4
pints of oil for every tank of petrol. You also needed to crook your
kneed round the gear lever in 4th or it popped out.. Sold it for 100
quid the bloke said 'plenty of scarp engines and boxes from minis to fix it'