Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Urgent Blocked drain - FIXED well almost

Exhausted wrote:
Exhausted wrote:
My drain from the kitchen to the main drain is blocked. It looks like
it's down to hard fat ... AGAIN..........

Last time, I removed the fat by putting on a long glove and putting my
hand down the drain and then up the u bend and scraping the fat with a
piece of old electric cable from an old shower. This worked, but was
especially nasty when I got some of the drain water up my glove.
Despite telling swimbo not to wash fat down the kitchen drain the
drain is blocked again. Not wanting to repeat the experience I made
the mistake of believing the guy in the diy store when they
recommended a chemical to pour down the drain to clear the fat,
despite several attempts no luck. Subsequently I have added 1KG of
caustic soda, still nothing.
My problem is now I don't have the option of putting my hand down the
drain. What can I do?
I tried jet washing from the man hold last time to no avail. All I can
think of is digging up the patio and drilling a hole in the pipe to
allow me to put a piece of metal in the pipe to break up the fat.

Any other ideas, apart from replacing the pipe.

Thanks

i did it well almost

The rodding action with the hose pipe did nothing,

So i got an old sheet , tied a rope securely to the sheet , and the
other end to a post in the garden (did not want to loose the sheet down
the drain if it popped out unexpectedly). With the hose pushed up the
blocked pipe from the man hole end i then blocked the exit to the man
hole from the offending pipe with the sheet, and turned the water on.
The pressure built up in the pipe and had to give some where (The sheet
was securely in the hole), so that only left the pipe or the fat.
Luckily the fat gave way. When i pulled the sheet out of the hole there
was a gush of water ( plus caustic soda i was careful not to get
splashed). along with this was lots of pieces of fat.
I used the rodding action a little to remove all the loose fat, and then
started to pour buckets of hot water (from as high as possible ) down
the drain. unfortunately the drain blocked again after two buckets.

However repeating the above steps several time the water now flows
freely, and i saw a lot of the fat running down the drain(with loads of
water to helping it on its way).
I think i will get some more caustic next week just to make sure any
remaining fat is gone,and then use caustic ever so often,

Anyway way thanks for the response, much appreciated. Hopefully the
sheet trick will help someone in the future

Well done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Urgent Blocked drain

In article , Colin Wilson
o.uk scribeth thus
any others, as not a lot of these are workable due to the caustic soda

Tell your missus to pay for the a call from a drain company...

It might be worth investing in a set of drain rods with a spiral so
you can hack away at the blockage from downstream.

You really will have to be careful as regards the caustic soda though,
as I believe the blockage can be prone to clearing quite quickly once
breached. Goggles would be advisable as a minimum anyway at a guess !

If theres that much Fat going down the drain and blocking it from cooking just
how much of that fat is going into your arteries and blocking them;!..

Doesn't happen here as missus is a froggie and fat doesn't come into her way
of thinking re cooking and thats why shes still a slim size 8 )...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Exhausted wrote:
wrote:
Exhausted wrote:
[...]

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....nblock_a_Drain

NT

any others, as not a lot of these are workable due to the caustic soda

seems a strange reply. How many usable ways do you want? It only takes
one, and unles youve got some very odd plumbing the wire through 5mm
hole trick looks like it would solve your problem fast enough.

NT

Drain frequently blocked [email protected] UK diy 4 May 13th 09 08:16 AM
blocked drain Peter UK diy 7 February 6th 08 10:02 PM
Blocked drain anyone? ARWadsworth UK diy 3 June 20th 07 07:27 AM
blocked drain in bathroom [email protected] UK diy 7 November 7th 06 09:13 AM
Blocked drain. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 June 27th 06 10:17 PM