Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drain frequently blocked

Hi,

Its difficult to describe but I'm hoping someone will know hat I'm
banging on about. Upon lifting my manholde cover in my front path, I
noticed that there is a small ledge just where my drain exits, ie the
water has to flow over a step on its way out. This causes tissue to
get lodge there and can lead to a blockage. Is there any reason why I
can't break that step so as to allow for an unhindered path for water
flow. thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 May 2009 01:47:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Its difficult to describe ...

Picture? Somewhere like flickr if you don't have your own online space.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 10:43*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2009 01:47:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Its difficult to describe ...

Picture? *Somewhere like flickr if you don't have your own online space..

--
Cheers
Dave.

will get one this weekend and repost..thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its difficult to describe but I'm hoping someone will know hat I'm
banging on about. Upon lifting my manholde cover in my front path, I
noticed that there is a small ledge just where my drain exits, ie the
water has to flow over a step on its way out.

IIRC they're often designed like this to act as a natural trap for
heavier objects that might end up down the drain so they don't clog
the pipes up.

It's effectively a U-bend you can clean out if necessary :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 10:04*pm, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
Its difficult to describe but I'm hoping someone will know hat I'm
banging on about. Upon lifting my manholde cover in my front path, I
noticed that there is a small ledge just where my drain exits, ie the
water has to flow over a step on its way out.

IIRC they're often designed like this to act as a natural trap for
heavier objects that might end up down the drain so they don't clog
the pipes up.

It's effectively a U-bend you can clean out if necessary :-}

I see. the only problem is you don't realise its blocked until things
start smelling and when you life the manhole cover....

blocked drain Peter UK diy 7 February 6th 08 10:02 PM
Defrost drain blocked in fridge. terry Home Repair 1 August 19th 07 09:47 PM
Blocked drain anyone? ARWadsworth UK diy 3 June 20th 07 07:27 AM
blocked drain in bathroom [email protected] UK diy 7 November 7th 06 09:13 AM
Blocked drain. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 12 June 27th 06 10:17 PM