Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default blocked drain

Him next door had his drains cleaned and as an aside suggested that my waste
(kitchen sink) underground pipe has collapsed.
Rubble at the inlet in his manhole and a total lack of water when the sink
tap was left on convinces me he is correct.

Anyway, sods law might apply, in that the collapse may be under the
neighbours block paving rather than my side so finally my question is:-
Can I remove pipe up to the fence and remove the blockage neighbours side
(only a 2 foot run from the fence to his manhole) and run a smaller pipe
inside the current one. If so are there large to smaller connectors etc made
for underground waste?

Many thanks

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter" wrote in message
Him next door had his drains cleaned and as an aside suggested that my

waste
(kitchen sink) underground pipe has collapsed.
Rubble at the inlet in his manhole and a total lack of water when the sink
tap was left on convinces me he is correct.

Anyway, sods law might apply, in that the collapse may be under the
neighbours block paving rather than my side so finally my question is:-
Can I remove pipe up to the fence and remove the blockage neighbours side
(only a 2 foot run from the fence to his manhole) and run a smaller pipe
inside the current one. If so are there large to smaller connectors etc

made
for underground waste?

Many thanks

Peter

Replace the same type of pipe thats there if you start putting in smaller
diameter piping you'll end up with a bottle neck syndrome.
Also dont put a sleeve inside another pipe as the ridge of the sleeve will
be a barrier for collecting crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:

Him next door had his drains cleaned and as an aside suggested that
my waste (kitchen sink) underground pipe has collapsed.
Rubble at the inlet in his manhole and a total lack of water when the
sink tap was left on convinces me he is correct.

Anyway, sods law might apply, in that the collapse may be under the
neighbours block paving rather than my side so finally my question
is:-
Can I remove pipe up to the fence and remove the blockage neighbours
side (only a 2 foot run from the fence to his manhole) and run a
smaller pipe inside the current one. If so are there large to smaller
connectors etc made for underground waste?

Many thanks

Peter

Are you saying that your kitchen sink outlet joins the sewer inside an
inspection chamber in your neighbour's garden? Is it *just* the kitchen
sink - where does the main stack from your toilet(s) etc. connect?

You need to know what's happened to your pipe before deciding what to do
about it. The best way of finding out is to commission a CCTV survey of your
pipe, starting from the chamber in your neighbour's garden.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Peter wrote:

[...]

The toilet waste joins the same chamber but by a different route. My
interest in 'sleeving' is only to avoid digging up the neighbours block
paving. The pipe run is only about six feet from kitchen trap to inspection
chamber. The drain guy hit solid blockage about 2 feet from the chamber
putting it directly under the fence. My guess fwiw. Concrete fence post
install crushed the soil pipe probably years ago and we've been watering the
foundations ever since.

Thanks Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter *wrote:

[...]

Hi Peter
A slip coupling can be used to repace a section of
pipe , ( fits on outside of existing pipes as an external sleive) or
alternately rubber couplings are readily available from screwfix or
most builders merchants to allow pipes of differing sizes to be
jointed

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:

The toilet waste joins the same chamber but by a different route.

That's comforting!

My interest in 'sleeving' is only to avoid digging up the neighbours
block paving. The pipe run is only about six feet from kitchen trap
to inspection chamber. The drain guy hit solid blockage about 2 feet
from the chamber putting it directly under the fence. My guess fwiw.
Concrete fence post install crushed the soil pipe probably years ago
and we've been watering the foundations ever since.

Sleeving is ok in cases where the bottom of the pipe has collapsed, leaving
a hole for stuff to fall into and get caught up. But you've got to have a
clear path through the pipe - you can't install a sleeve if there's a fence
post in the way! You may be able to dig on your side, and tunnel to the
obstruction without disturbing your neighbour's block paving. How deep is
the drain?

Could you divert the pipe from the kitchen gulley to join up with the pipe
from the stack?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
. ..

"Peter" wrote in message
Him next door had his drains cleaned and as an aside suggested that my

waste
(kitchen sink) underground pipe has collapsed.
Rubble at the inlet in his manhole and a total lack of water when the
sink
tap was left on convinces me he is correct.

I'd be more inclined to wonder just where your sink water is going. If you
been using it for a long time without problems I'd be surprised if it's just
leaking away without any signs on the surface.

Could the drains have been rerouted in the past? Has either your house or
your neighbours had any modifications that could conceivably involve the
drains?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Him next door had his drains cleaned and as an aside suggested that my waste
(kitchen sink) underground pipe has collapsed.
Rubble at the inlet in his manhole and a total lack of water when the sink
tap was left on convinces me he is correct.

I wonder when he had his block paving done - if the base material was
compacted prior to laying the blocks, his own workmen might have
caused the problem !