Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default E27 Plug?

'morning.

I have a couple of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BSPH10.html

Which light up my patio real nice.

However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't
want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure
I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler
for the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

Thanks & regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany wrote:

I have a couple of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BSPH10.html

Which light up my patio real nice.

However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't
want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure
I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler
for the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

Can you (or someone else if you don't feel up to it) not remove one of
the lampholders, then make good the joint with some heatshrink tubing?

I wouldn't be surprised if the lampholders had a type of insulation
displacement connector, so the joint would be quite inconspicuous, or
for a slightly more conspicuous way, replace the non-required lampholder
with a weatherproof connector

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ors/index.html

either permanent, or a 2 or 3 core unpluggable one, as required (connect
the male/female parts the right way round).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Devany" wrote in message
'morning.

I have a couple of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BSPH10.html

Which light up my patio real nice.

However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't
want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure
I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler for
the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

Excuse me stating the obvious, but why not use a failed ES lamp
in this position, or seal the socket with self amalgamating tape?

Incidentally I don't hold with this B22 / E27 nonsense, I call a spade a
spade.
I asked for a pair of U2 batteries recently, the guy hadn't a clue!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany wrote:
'morning.

I have a couple of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BSPH10.html

Which light up my patio real nice.

However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't
want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure
I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler
for the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

Thanks & regards

dead bulb. Dont try the heatshrink idea.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany wrote:
'morning.

I have a couple of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BSPH10.html

Which light up my patio real nice.

However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't
want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure
I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler
for the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

Thanks & regards

I don't think you can buy ES plugs as such, but you cold buy an ES to BC
adapter, e.g.

http://www.nationallampsandcomponent...C_Adaptor/2240

(cheaper on Ebay, though)

and fill the BC hole with a scrap of wood (or anything insulating and
inert) then top off with epoxy resin (or polyester resin or car body
filler or potting compound or epoxy glue or hot-melt glue)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany wrote:

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

Thanks & regards

A US 2-pin to edison screw travel adaptor might do (I've got one but
can't find one on google yet), or similar for adapting use of halogen
bulbs to that socket. Easier to apply the tape over that?
Could you you can cut the offending socket out?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Devany wrote:
However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't
want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure
I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler
for the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

'Plugs' to fit light sockets have not been available in the UK for many a
year for obvious reasons - there is no EEC for a start.

You used to be able to buy ES to 2 pin adaptors which would be safer than
an open socket - try Ebay for travel adaptors.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying
something like:

I asked for a pair of U2 batteries recently, the guy hadn't a clue!

Probably thought you were talking about Bono-****** and co. Even the
humble PP3 has been eclipsed by some other term.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Coat!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
Probably thought you were talking about Bono-****** and co. Even the
humble PP3 has been eclipsed by some other term.

Seems to have come back into fashion after the MN 1604 period.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Devany wrote:
'morning.

I have a couple of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BSPH10.html

Which light up my patio real nice.

However, with the way things are, there is one socket into which I don't
want to fit a bulb (for complicated reasons). As a short-term measure
I've, er, taped over the socket but this needs a better solution.

I guess what I need is the plug part of an E27 bulb to act as a filler
for the socket, but I'm clueless as to what this might be called.

My internet searches have proved worthless and so I turn here. Is there
some device which I can screw into an E27 socket which will render the
installation safe?

Thanks & regards

Thanks for all the ideas.

Gives me a lot to go on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 May 2009 09:25:06 +0100, Graham. wrote:

"Devany" wrote in message
[...]

It's alright, most of them don't understand D-cell either! Don't even think
of asking for SP11s.

SteveW

swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug pstock Home Repair 14 October 8th 10 05:54 PM
Old Plug Pak Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 1 May 14th 07 05:33 AM
DC Plug kenp UK diy 6 January 12th 07 05:18 PM
Plug won't come out chermena Home Repair 20 January 5th 07 06:24 AM
Rewire oven plug 3 to 4 wire, new home, plug it in and get sparks [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 16th 05 02:51 PM