Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DC Plug

Hi
I have a Acer 5003 Laptop that I want to use in the car,I have the cigar
lighter power unit but the plugs with it don't fit the Acer,
I need a DC plug Barrel Dia.5.5 lenght about 13mm .pin size 1.7mm.
I have tried Maplins/ RSC and have emailed Acer agents in UK .and Acer head
office, last two didn't answer.
Any body any ideas where I could get a couple.Thanks in advance
Ken

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 1:20 pm, "kenp" wrote:
Hi
I have a Acer 5003 Laptop that I want to use in the car,I have the cigar
lighter power unit but the plugs with it don't fit the Acer,
I need a DC plug Barrel Dia.5.5 lenght about 13mm .pin size 1.7mm.
I have tried Maplins/ RSC and have emailed Acer agents in UK .and Acer head
office, last two didn't answer.
Any body any ideas where I could get a couple.Thanks in advance

No ideas where, but you could cut a few inches off the lead from the
laptop mains charger, add a socket that matches the car kit and put a
matching plug on the free end of the charger lead.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

kenp wrote:
Hi
I have a Acer 5003 Laptop that I want to use in the car,I have the cigar
lighter power unit but the plugs with it don't fit the Acer,
I need a DC plug Barrel Dia.5.5 lenght about 13mm .pin size 1.7mm.
I have tried Maplins/ RSC and have emailed Acer agents in UK .and Acer head
office, last two didn't answer.
Any body any ideas where I could get a couple.Thanks in advance
Ken

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search2/b...questid=530040

or

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search2/b...questid=530581

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"kenp" wrote in message
Hi
I have a Acer 5003 Laptop that I want to use in the car,I have the cigar
lighter power unit but the plugs with it don't fit the Acer,
I need a DC plug Barrel Dia.5.5 lenght about 13mm .pin size 1.7mm.
I have tried Maplins/ RSC and have emailed Acer agents in UK .and Acer
head office, last two didn't answer.
Any body any ideas where I could get a couple.Thanks in advance
Ken

Does the laptop work on 12v DC?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kenp" wrote in message
Hi
I have a Acer 5003 Laptop that I want to use in the car,I have the cigar
lighter power unit but the plugs with it don't fit the Acer,
I need a DC plug Barrel Dia.5.5 lenght about 13mm .pin size 1.7mm.
I have tried Maplins/ RSC and have emailed Acer agents in UK .and Acer
head office, last two didn't answer.
Any body any ideas where I could get a couple.Thanks in advance
Ken

If the "cigar liter power unit" doesn't have a plug that matches the Acer
then obviously it isn't specifically designed to power it.

Does the voltage and available current match that required by the laptop?
Is the regulation sufficient?
Is it a switch-mode or series regulator type?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 10:07 pm, "Graham" wrote:
"kenp" wrote in .com...

Hi
I have a Acer 5003 Laptop that I want to use in the car,I have the cigar
lighter power unit but the plugs with it don't fit the Acer,
I need a DC plug Barrel Dia.5.5 lenght about 13mm .pin size 1.7mm.
I have tried Maplins/ RSC and have emailed Acer agents in UK .and Acer
head office, last two didn't answer.
Any body any ideas where I could get a couple.Thanks in advance
Ken

If the "cigar liter power unit" doesn't have a plug that matches the Acer
then obviously it isn't specifically designed to power it.

Eh? It's generic. It isn't specifically designed to power anything,
regardless of whether the connectors mate or not. The same connectors
can be used for widely varying voltages, different polarities,
different current requirements.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Generic yes, but not universal.
Which is precisely why I want the OP to convince us that what he is using is
suitable
and not something that, for example, can only deliver 300mA max.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

swapping an oven plug for a clothes dryer plug pstock Home Repair 14 October 8th 10 05:54 PM
Plug won't come out chermena Home Repair 20 January 5th 07 06:24 AM
Rewire oven plug 3 to 4 wire, new home, plug it in and get sparks [email protected] Home Repair 3 August 16th 05 02:51 PM
OT - Here's a plug... DOC Metalworking 1 July 21st 05 07:13 PM
OT - Here's a plug... DOC Woodworking 1 July 21st 05 07:13 PM